What to use for Saturday mentored youth?

buckmasters243

buckmasters243

I will be going out fishing on saturday with my brother for mentored youth fishing.The place I will be going to will be crowded heavily pressured. There is a lake part and a large stream part.They will be stocked and I plan to use my fly rod and my spinning on the side with power bait or worms.But my question is what fly should I use for these trout? I have a trout bead that is grey that might resemble a trout pellet.Any suggestions or advice?I have some san juan worms and a bunch of other variety of flies. Any help here?

Buck, I think that if you are taking your brother you should use the same equipment that he is to give him the full benifit of the Mentored Youth day. If he is using spinning tackle that is what I would use, and give him tips and pointers.

If he is using fly gear, then you should give him instruction with fly tackle.

That being said. I typically go with a tandem rig for fresh stockies. Have something natural for your dropper and something bright or flash for you point/lower fly. A lot of times the trout will have its attention caught by the bright object then see the more realistic fly and take it.

If you are using flies I would have these in my box:

natural:
beadhead pheasant tail
hares ear
wooly bugger
caddis larva

attractor:
glow bug/egg
green weenie
san juan worm

Somewhat related thread here:

link

If you feel he is going to have enough room to be able to safely fly fish, then buggers are tough to beat.

Thank you I will lend him my other fly rod to use I have all the flies listed except I think hares ear ill go look thank you for your help we will have fun

buck send me your address. Ill tie a few and ship them out tomorow. Just let me know how they fish for ya!

Back