Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: What to use?

From Granville
Zebra Midge, brassie, Al's Rat, any other generic nymph has worked well for me, but mainly the WOOLLY BUGGER.

Posted on: 12/23 3:58

From Maryland
All great answers. I would amplify two points:

1--sucker spawn. Really any egg patterns as trout key in on eggs this time of year the way they key in on beetles and hoppers in the summertime. They're genetically programmed to eat each others eggs during each others spawning seasons, which run from late October into March for various kinds of trout and salmon.

2--fish where fish are. In addition to the advice on limestone creeks and tail waters, remember where trout are this time of year, regardless of the stream: on the bottom. Sure, you can find a trout rising just about any day of the year, regardless of weather, in the still water of the Allenberry dam, but most trout, and all trout that are wild born or truly feral will be on the bottom. Weighted flies, wrap around lead and, dare I say, Euro-nymphing will get you to where the trout are.

Posted on: 12/23 10:31

From Monessen, PA
For what it is worth: trout in winter often lay still on sunny days in shallow water to absorb the heat from the rocks and gravel under their bellies.

Posted on: 12/23 10:39
"He was despised and rejected by mankind, a man of suffering, and familiar with pain. Like one from whom people hide their faces he was despised, and we held him in low esteem. Surely he took up our pain and bore our suffering."

-- Isaiah 53:3-4 NIV

From Southeast, PA
Tom - I really like that peeking caddis. Gonna tie some up!

Posted on: 12/23 12:09

From Pittsburgh
Steve , it is a huge problem.
But is you loose yourself a bit, some problems and arrangement may come in time and sequence.
Happy Christmas.

Attach file:

jpg  have a good night.jpg (62.41 KB)
2007_5a3f01b0bb727.jpg 1030X638 px

jpg  Christmas.jpg (92.99 KB)
2007_5a3f022640662.jpg 1200X733 px

Posted on: 12/23 20:24

Quote:

JimKennedy wrote:
... all trout that are wild born or truly feral will be on the bottom.

Not necessarily true. I catch wild browns year round in the Gunpowder fishing in the film. In fact, I've had a few good days fishing dries in mid-January. Of course, there was an olive hatch in progress, which re-enforces your statement about fishing where the the fish are (good advice all year); that doesn't always happen to be on bottom, though, even in the winter. If there's anything to bring the fish up (like midges or winter stoneflies) that's where they'll be.

Quote:

JackM wrote:
For what it is worth: trout in winter often lay still on sunny days in shallow water to absorb the heat from the rocks and gravel under their bellies.

Very true, although some think the reason is more that insects are there for the same reason, and that the trout are there for the insects. Whichever is true, I've caught an unreasonable number of trout in six inches of water in winter. Doesn't happen much the rest of the year.

Posted on: 12/23 20:59

From Williamsport, PA
I know Walts Worms work all year long for me on my favorite stream.

Posted on: 12/26 10:43

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
The New Keystone Fly Fishing Book
Polls
Where do you most want to fly fish outside the region?
Western US 39% (31)
Alaska 10% (8)
New Zealand 32% (26)
Florida Keys 3% (3)
South America 6% (5)
Elsewhere 7% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/3/17 12:44
6 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com