What are your go to flies for this time of year?

L

longbowman58

I was just wondering what people use as their go-to flies for this time of year. I haven't seen another person fishing in weeks so obviously only those that really get into it are out there right now.

Muddlers, streamers, terrestrials and whatever else is in the air.

Wullfs, caddis, adams, beetles, and grasshoppers.

Olive and black streamers (every other time of the year too). I'll give into a terrestrial or match the hatch if forced to avoid the skunk. Luckily that has not happened for a couple years!!! I will confess that I do enjoy the Royal Wulff hatch on wild brookie streams this time of year (but please don't tell anyone...i don't want my image tarnished).

You're in Crawford County.........so brown woolly buggers ;)

crowe beetles in size #12, #14, and#16 - depending on water level and clarity

anything soft hackled

If in doubt, try an ant.

Ants Ants Ants from #12 Carpenter to them lil #22 red ants. I also like Griffith's Nats #18-#26, Parachute Adams #14- #28, Comparaduns #14-#22 ( Hair post) #20-#28 (poly post)

nymphs: PT (Sawyer) #14-#22,PT (Troth) #14-#18, Prince#14-#18, Mercer Poxy Back Stone Dark and Goldens #4-#18 ( standard and Micro with bead and without.if I can get the hackle to wrap

Lonewolve wrote:
Ants Ants Ants from #12 Carpenter to them lil #22 red ants. I also like Griffith's Nats #18-#26, Parachute Adams #14- #28, Comparaduns #14-#22 ( Hair post) #20-#28 (poly post)

Very good summer selection, if you don't have some griffiths you are selling yourself short.....his size recommendations are good.

For trout, a black foam beetle.

For smallies, a hellgrammite nymph.

Lonewolve,

Have you ever tried Griffiths in size 14? Boom, boom!

That is a bit too general of a question. It depends on where you are fishing and what time of day. I tell you trico spinners are the ticket and you never fish before 5pm....won't help you a bit.

Ants, crickets and beetles seem to always provide rises in the summer. If the water you are fishing has iso, craneflies, Cahills, tricos, etc...all good choices. Learn what hatches are on the water you fish. Some hatch at first light, some mid morning and some are at last light. For streamer fishing, #2-#4 sculpin has produced well for me over the years. Brookie fishing in the mountains, cigarette butt on a hook will work.

If you give a specific stream or area, you may get more useful info.

I've fished Crawford County a fair bit in my time...

Any place there (or in the surrounding counties, so long as we aren't talking about the Brokenstraw or Oil Creek or any of the other big, marginal streams of the area), you can do well all day on a simple split wing deerhair caddis in a #14 or #16. The tie is indentical to the Solomon/Leiser Delta Wing caddis except the wings are regular old deer hair: Here's the Solomon/Leiser pattern: http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/patterns/flies/3/Delta+Wing+Caddis

Tie these in a hare's ear body/brown hackle combo as well as a medium tan body/ barred or ginger variant hackle combo. With its clipped hackle bottom, this fly floats flush in the slower water. Yet the angled wings allow it to float as effectively as any Wulff or stimulator in the broken water and runs. This saves time pfarting around changing flies. They catch a lot of fish.

Other than that, I like big terrestrials, mostly ants.. I'm a believer in the bass bug theory of summer terrestrial fishing. The splat is very important, IMO.

Beetles and ants are both good choice's.

I'd say streamers and terrestrials

the last three post before this sum up my summer trout fishing. big ugly streamers on cloudy ugly days. really depends on the water.

last tip.....
bass season is here, heck with the trouts. i may do one or two tailwater trips in the summer, but bass dont bite much in feb, trout do.

Terrestrials and nymphs.

Back