What are some good sites for learning the basics of flyfishing?

G

groundzero2121

I have been out flyfishing 4 times now but i have yet to catch my first fish on a fly. Im really not sure what im doing wrong, i have mostly been fishing dunbar creek and meadow run. im also using an 8wt since its my only fly fishing outfit, i got an 8 to make sure i could use it up erie, is this holding me back when fishing smaller streams?

I dont think casting is it cuz most of the streams arent big enough where you need a perfect cast and ive just started to learn the concepts of mending line which i practiced a good bit today.

Im not sure if my presentation is bad which i dont think its THAT bad. Im not sure if im using the right flies on these streams or the right sizes. I have been trying different nypmhs and egg patterns. I have watch fish take a real good look at the fly and move toward like they want it, but then at the last second they just swim away.

When i get to the stream, i take a good look for fish, if i dont see any then i fish the riffles and other runs or pocket water, where i think fish would be but i never know what to use or if i should have it weighted or not, or to use a strike indicator or not. I usually just make a cast upstream and let if drift down and mend the line if i need, to make it look as real as possible, but i get no strikes, and i dont know what to do to fix it.

If there are any good websites or videos for beginners, send them my way please. I know this is a respected board with alot of quality fisherman and i dont wanna ruin it by flooding it with noob questions. thanks for any help, tom

An 8 wt is a little heavy for the streams you'll fishing, but that what you have use it. You just willn't be able to feel the fish fight as if you were using a 6 wt which wouldn't feel it like a 4 wt. Thick of it like fishing with a heavy action spinning rod compared to using a light action rod.

My mainstay nymph is a size 12 hares ear. Am able to catch fish year round with it. Although at times wish I had some a couple sizes smaller when fishing the holes. Not sure if you are tying your own or if the are store bought, you didn't say. If they are store bought the will catch fish.

Your nymph should be near the bottom, that where they live. But they still catch fish anywhere in the water column. So go ahead and put some weight on to get it down. Just don't put too much that you get hung up all the time.

The rest of your post sounds like you already know how to fish for trout. Just don't get discouraged. In five years only caught three before being able to catch them regularly.

How do you know what size a fly is, i have around 30 flies but no idea what size they are? Does size go by the hook size the fly is on? also is nymphing is the easiest way to get started with flyfishing or should i try other things to start? my flies are all store bought. How close can you get to trout you see before they became too spooked to it anything, i know eventuall they will swim off, but if im sneaky enouhg i can get close to them, but they still dont hit anything, do they know im there and thats why they dont feed, or is it ok being close to them?

PAflyfish.com is a great resource :p. For this time of year, you will need small things. Midges are great success. http://www.pafishing.net/main.php?g2_itemId=392 These are size 18-20 besides the top left one. Thats how small you should be fishing in these cold temps.

Heres a hook size chart, http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/tackle_1977_554898403

If youre new to fly fishing, your best bet to catching fish without getting stressed out is fishing a local stream that has recently been stocked. That way the trout are not familiar and fully smart yet.

I would also use a indicator to help determine strikes. Sometimes it will be a obvious hit when the indicator dunks straight under. But 9 times out of 10 in cold temps it will be a subtle little bob and you will have to be anticipating it and rip that hook basically at the same time it bobs or else it'll be too late.

should everything be that small in these temps, like the nymphs im using and the other stufff?

smaller then bigger. Id say nothing bigger then 14, maybe 16. But then again it probably depends on the stream and the fish

Bring on the noob questions! It's what this, or any other flyfishing board is for!

Mute's right about midges, if you want to fish dries. You might also try streamers, such as wooleybuggers. These can be much larger, like a size 8 4x long (which means that the shank has added length to it). Wooleybuggers and streamers are meatier flies. They can look like dying minnows (minnows die off in the Fall, so trout tend to gorge on them this time of year), crayfish, big stoneflies or many other types of forage... or they can just look big and flashy which can cause a strike. If you want to get some streamers, get wooley buggers in size 8 in all black, all white and brown. If you are tying flies, try a wooleybugger with brown hackle and peacock herl for the body. If you want to expand your streamer assortment get the same in size 12. Use those a while before you get too many more. You can get a lot of streamers, and catch fish on any of them... but you can blow a lot of cash on flies too. Keep your collection tight for a while. You'll catch fish on wooleybuggers any month out of year... provided there are fish and they are hungry.

Nymphs can be any size. For instance big stoneflies and hellgremites can be a couple inches long. Midge nymphs can be the size of a comma. I like the size 12 Hare's Ear live to fish suggested. It's a nice, all around pattern. You could try it in smaller sizes too. Egg patterns and green weenies are good as well. The egg patterns and green weenies can help you watch for strikes too. You can pair them up with a more realistic nymph like the Hare's Ear or a pheasant tail. Then you can watch the brighter fly for sudden movement. If it tics upstream or what have you, you might have a hit on the dropper.

Some good sites for articles on flyfishing are:
www.flyanglersonline.com and
www.flyshop.com

Fly Anglers actually has a section called "For Beginners". I really liked it when I started. Also, check out your local library. Mine has a small collection of flyfishing books. Reading a few flyfishing guides may answer many of your questions and start you on some new ones.

Padraic is right about hitting the local library. There are tremendous numbers of books on fly fishing and quite a few videos as well. I would suggest, as you start trout fishing, to be sure you're fishing where fish actually exist. This may seem inane but truth be told many of the designated trout streams in PA are currently devoid of fish do to the very low conditions and/or a lack of fall stocking or wild fish. Perhaps some members familiar with Dunbar and Meadow Run can chime in. If you're fishing the Meadow Run in the SW part of the state near the Yough River, I seem to recall it gets a fall stocking but I may be wrong. I don't know that area well. Stocked trout streams of marginal quality often don't fish very well during the colder months. Although your rod is big for a brookie stream, you might find a stream with wild brookies fishes better in the colder weather. Keep in mind, you can fish for nearly anything with your fly rod. A local pond or creek with bass and sunfish can be great fun and will boost your casting skills and confidence. Your 8WT would be a better fit for this. Fly fishing isn't just for trout.

one important thing to look out for is to make sure that your leader turns over.if it doesn't,strip in a little line to make sure your leader is somewhat straight,and try to get the leader to straighten out on the next cast.

also keep in mind that it is a harder time of year for angling than the spring.

ask other anglers on the stream,politely,what fly they have had luck on.this can be annoying to some,but you will find people ready to share.
also bear in mind that four times without a catch is not rare.many people fish and strike out.

it might help to fish along with someone more experienced.

keep at it and don't be discouraged.

if someone were to approach me on a stream and admit that they'd never been into a trout,i'd show them what i know,albeit that ain't much :)

Wolly buggers and streamers, can those be "dead drifted"? all i have done so far is dead drifted flies, maybe ill get those streamers and try them, what do you do just throw em upstream or downstream and strip the line till you get it back in?

You cast across and down and let them drift and strip them back upstream...you get lots of hits on the swing back upstream. Or you can mend
the line to control the drift and depth...its just about getting the fly down and in front of the fish.

Both Dunbar and Meadow Run got a fall stocking first part of October. Fly size is the size hook the fly is tied onto. Size 12 hares ear is on a size 12 hook. Although if you tie your own and not careful with the proportions a size 12 dry fly can be more like a size 10. I take it you are new to flyfishing, so no, nymphing is not the best way to start from my experience. Use streamers or buggers like Padraic said above. You'll know when you get a strike with those.

As far as the questions you have, don't be afraid to ask. How else are you going to learn? I live by one thing my dad told me 40 years ago. There is no such thing as a dumb question if you don't know something, just dumb answers some times.

so with streamers and wolly buggers, i cast upstream let the current take it downstream a little then strip line and get it back to me. Is it better to approach trout or possible trout holding water from downstream, meaning walking against the current as the trout will be facing into the current. In my last few trips I walked down the stream with the current so i now realize that those trout were looking right at me, possibly spooking them. am i right?

thanks.

Lots of great suggestions have been given and if you do some digging here on paflyfish, I'm sure you'll find even more! You've definately come to the right place though!

A couple of things that have helped me immensly when starting:

Weight those nymphs--if you're not getting caught up just a little bit, your weight is not enough.

Indicators--some make the arguement against them, but I find them helpful. If it pauses, stops or goes under, set the hook. Even if it's a leaf, branch or rock, attempt to set the hook. Sure you might miss some, might pull up a leaf, twig or nothing at all, but eventually, you'll get one! Also, remember to adjust the size of the indicator based on water level/clarity and where the indicator is on your leader dependant on depth of the water.

Dead Drift--my personal favorite nymphing technique. It can also be used for streamers, but stripping streamers is also effective. As is casting upstream and mending and letting the current take the fly. It really depends on the flow and clarity of the water, but experiment with different techniques.

Don't get discouraged!!! I can't say that enough. Keep trying and don't give up, no matter what you do. If possible, find a buddy in your area who can teach you a few things. I'm sure there are willing members here who would be happy to show you a few things on the water. If you have the means to do so, get some lessons from a fly shop. That really helped me get going, since I knew nobody who fly fished. It really changed my whole experience on soooo many levels.

Lastly, enjoy it! A bad day on the water is better than any day at work! :cool:

do you guys use regular split shots? This friday im gonna pick up some streamers, wolly buggers and try some new things this weekend on the streams. What are good colors and sizes for streamers this time of year, any other good flies i should pick up and take with me this weekend?

I'm still going with bead heads to weigh green wooley buuggers down, rather than wired weight. It may be incorrect but its working for me, even more than it did in the summer. I would stay at this site for info because there are some very knowledgable people here. I love this site! I think you may have just hit 4 bad days. But thats the lure of it. (pun intended) Also like Tomgambler pointed out, your strikes will mostly occur when your fly is just swinging around in the current down from you. I'm sure others have their own methods but my fattest wooleybuggers have been getting me more fish at this time of the year, although my feet are frozen...ouch..

I'm with Buck on the weight issue. Beads take about a minute less to tie. Thats a lot of time in tying time. I will, if I have the time, still use lead wire for some buggers but I'm getting lazy in my old age and haven't noticed much of a difference except that when its sunny they like the beads.

beads are good on nymphs and buggers, but you may still need some more weight in fast water. When you do, split shot is good.

Indicators are good in fast water. In slow water, you shouldn't need them. In fact, that situation they may scare off the trout. But definately use them in the fast water.

GZ:

When your are out Watch the other people that are fishing. You can pick up alot just checking out the others that are fishing. Dunbar and meadow are great places to do this. These are not outta they way places and if you meet someone on the stream strike up a conversation. If they don't want to talk you will know pretty quick. I'd gladly stop fishing for a bit to help someone out with a few tips or flies. Heck helping someone catch a fish is sometimes more fun than catching one myself.

I dont think im doing bad with technique, maybe im just basing too much success on catchin fish. when i head out this weekend ill try some of the new ideas yins gave me and maybe a different stream. thanks for the help.

Back