What a crappy day on the water yesterday....

D

dryflyklesse

All was going good using my little windstream bamboo fly rod and then I noticed it was flexing funny.... She started to split a foot form the tip, so sad, she caught me a lot of fish on the codorus and Delaware river, guess she will go on the wall in the man cave now...

Good excuse to upgrade. Go cast some rods.

No way man. You can fix one split, tight bond 3.

How do I fix it exactly?

Open the split with pins, force glue in, wrap with a binding twine or rubber band to clamp it together while it dries. Allow to fully dry before taking off binder. Take off excess glue carefully. If you use steel wool or sandpaper be very careful not to round the edges. Use 600 or 800 grit for coarse work, 1000 to 2000 for fine work. Go really slow - you do not want to remove any bamboo, but you can go into the varnish. Get some tan silk (or nylon) rod thread, size A or so, and do an "invisible wrap" over the repair to reinforce it. Varnish the invisible wrap and you are done.

If that sounds a bit much, look up bamboo rod makers in your area. They can fix it. Fly shops may also give youa lead on people who do bamboo rod repair.

yep, totally fixable, just needs reglued, done it many times on old rods and they are still in action.
takes a lot to kill a bamboo rod to the point of it being a wall hanger.

Awesome thanks guys

Back