Wet wading

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

Consider me a wet wading wimp. I used to do it all the time while fishing for those filthy smallmouth as a kid, now not so much. Anyway, as I was gearing up for the savage on Sunday and a crew of 4 guys came walking past, all set to wet wade. The air temps were around 55 with the water temp at 60, are they crazy or should I turn in my man card?

Ryan,

I wet Wade for smallies all of the time once it is warm..why put unnecessary wear and tear on waders? On many trout streams however, even in the hottest of weather, the water is just too cold for comfort. I'd like to do more of it for trout. Honestly on the highest quality cold limestoners though it is so cold I basically lose feeling in my feet.

Your fine, they’re raving lunatics.

I have always read that a human can die from hypothermia in water temperatures that are less than 50 degrees F because of the body temperature loss being much faster in cold water than in air temperatures.

And, it matters even worse when the air temperature is also less than 50 F. < 100 F(combined water and air temperature) is very deadly and we all know about the wind chill factor.

I have experienced hypothermia twice and take it very seriously. I have 5 wet suits and 5 PFD's for my canoe trips and am always prepared for that unexpected swamp.

Same thing with a rip current at the OBX. That will scare the $h!t out of anybody and I know what to do, which is say to myself that I am done with ocean swimming when I can finally figure out how far to swim along the coast to get back to the beach. This is easier said than done when you realize how from the beach you are and you don't stand a chance of swimming against that rip tide current,

Two things that really scare me from learning the hard way are hypothermia and rip tides. I have a lot of respect for cold water temperatures and the power of moving water.

Felt good on Independence Day in the afternoon when it was 85.

After a guy got an infection in his leg from wet wading the Little Juniata River a few years back that could not be cured and he lost his leg because of it, I have foregone wet wading. For you guys who still do it, be careful out there.

Ya, they may be lunatics. As are some of us on here :p

I ditched the waders towards the end of May, and probably won't put them back on until we get some cold snaps in September. Though, wading somewhat deeper in cold tailwaters or spring creeks on cool early mornings may change my mind, at least for the first part of the day. My waders leak pretty bad.....so it's almost wet wading anyways..

The possibility of infections is definitely a serious issue. That being said, cuts on your hands from hooks, fish teeth/sharp fins, etc. may put you at risk as well. Sweaty and leaky waders too.....idk. But it's definitely something for us to be aware of.

Guess I'm a wuss too.
I gave up wet wading years ago
Bumping into sharp rocks - and other things - with bare legs, isn't fun.
After getting numerous cuts and bruises, I want to have something covering my legs - even in hot weather.

Besides the hazards in the water, there is also the pretty good possibility of walking through poison ivy, stinging nettles, and other troublesome vegetation.

And insect bites - especially now with ticks seemingly everywhere

I had about an hour this evening to head out to my local tailwater,I did't fell like putting on my waders for just 45 min. but I didn't get in the water because it is so cold. I fished from the bank but I brushed up against a shrub that set my legs on FIRE. It stung so bad I could barely stand it. I think it was poison hemlock. I moved some out of the way to pass through and then my hands were on fire. That is some nasty weed. It's two hours later and I;m still burning. I'll be wearing waders from now on.

Ryan: You lose your man car, not for avoiding uncomfortable water temps, but for asking our opinions. ;)

Laszlo: Sounds like stinging nettle. If you find jewel weed, rub it on the affected areas for nearly instant relief. (man card earned)

laszlo wrote:
I had about an hour this evening to head out to my local tailwater,I did't fell like putting on my waders for just 45 min. but I didn't get in the water because it is so cold. I fished from the bank but I brushed up against a shrub that set my legs on FIRE. It stung so bad I could barely stand it. I think it was poison hemlock. I moved some out of the way to pass through and then my hands were on fire. That is some nasty weed. It's two hours later and I;m still burning. I'll be wearing waders from now on.

Definitely sound like stinging nettle.

I wear long, fast drying pants and my wading boots from about April-October. Waders are just took stinking hot and yes I have breathable chest waders. I like to wear waders when I have to get into deep water but other than that I wet wade. A lot easier and less restrictive.

^ I do the same. Rarely wade with shorts anymore...

+1 (sometimes with zip-offs for the ride home)

Yep, most likely stinging nettle laszlo. Is it largely resolved as of this morning? The reaction to contact with stinging nettle is almost immediate, though generally fairly short lived. Goes away within a matter of hours. Urushiol reactions (ivy/oak/sumac) take about 12-24 hours to appear, and last much longer. Days usually, or weeks in severe cases.

Poison hemlock is a totally different deal…severe cases usually deal with ingestion, but there can be a skin reaction to contact with it too. The skin reaction is more of a burning or scalding type reaction, as opposed to itching/stinging however. It is a very tall plant, and if the skin reaction is confined to the legs it’s probably not hemlock. Quick reacting itching confined to the legs, especially below the knee, is classic stinging nettle.

I think your crazy. I’m a wet wader from Mid-May to Winter. It feels so good especially when it 80-100 out. Wet waded the North Branch yesterday, crossing and dipping the nuggets is never fun but I’m 6’3 and you’re taller than I am so we avoid that a little more than others.

Of course walking in the bush is more comfortable with waders bc in our mind we think it will protect us from a snake bite but outside of that I can’t think of a single advantage to wearing waders in the summer. I really enjoy being lighter and more nimble on the stream and if you cross or fall in you don’t have to worry about filling your waders up. Just stand up and you dry out quick.

Yeah I can remember the days wet wading in farm ponds - thigh high deep in muck - snapping turtles, muskrats, etc. After the second kid, I never should have agreed to the vasectomy:)

On a recent trip I wore lightweight pants for a long hike in to deal with the stinging nettle. That stuff is brutal in summer. Once at the stream changed into shorts to wet wade as it was a hot day. Then back into pants to hike out. I think this means I should invest in some zip-offs. There are certain places that I won't wet wade because of bacteria levels but cold water feels great on a hot day. The gross places are warm water anyway though.

My biggest concern with wet wading is tick exposure. I usually wear waders, even in Summer, on small brushy streams, but if I do wet wade on a really hot day I wear quick dry long pants too.

I'll wear swim shorts on a big river like the Susky or the J where I'm either in the water all day, or on exposed gravel bars within the stream banks.

You can still get bacterial skin infections while wearing waders, and I'm not convinced the chances are all that reduced by wearing them. Waders generate a ton of bacteria, especially hot, sweaty, leaky ones. Either way the relative risk is low. Think of all the people who swim in PA lakes and streams each year (not just anglers) versus the number of infections reported. That's a risk I'm willing to tolerate given my hobby.

I see the risk of tick borne illness as much higher and a more significant reason to wear waders.

FWIW - I was just in Colorado for two weeks. Everyone, literally everyone, wet wades out there in Summer. My fiancé and I were the only two I saw in waders the whole time we were out there.

To answer the OP: Yes, that's too cold. I would have worn waders in that scenario just from a comfort perspective. Very large huevos on those guys apparently, though probably subject to the usual shrinkage factor if they dunked them in that water.

I wet wade in swim trunks & sandals in the Susquehanna in the summer. Faster moving water, not stagnant water.

Smaller stream, bushy rivers etc... I'm more on the tick / unseen things at my legs concern. Quick dry pants, everything sprayed with permethrin. Although I suspect the permethrin wears off the pants quicker being in the water.

Anyone got any light weight wading shoe suggestions? I see Astral shoes on the Orvis website are kind of what I'm thinking... not heavy boots with neoprene.

Back