Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Wet flies...???

From PA and NH
C'mon, don't you know that everyone is using latex nymphs and beadheads? especially the competition guys. wets shmets

Posted on: 2013/3/4 16:55

From Bucks County
Quote:

shakey wrote:
i've been known to use wet flies.

Same here...... :)

Posted on: 2013/3/4 17:18

From Peasant Gap
I would say I use wet flies frequently. Probably more so than any other type of fly. But I probably use the classic winged wets only on occassion. Most of mine is with soft hackled nymphs, spiders, and CDC caddis or duns that i soak and fish wet.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 21:10

From Berks County
Is it a fairly common practice for some of you to fish the wets dropped off of your dry flies? If so, how deep do you usually fish them? That is, how much tippet do you tie off of your dry to the wet? I admit, I have never spent much time fishing wet flies, and I know I am missing a lot of opportunities to catch more fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 22:09

From Saylorsburg
For me there are all sorts of possible scenarios so you'll have adapt and adjust but for me a slightly down and across stream cast, drag free drift and then let it swing up and across the current..... The swing is when I seem to get the most aggressive strikes... Heck of alot of fun.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 8:13

From philadelphia
Quote:

zenherper wrote:
Is it a fairly common practice for some of you to fish the wets dropped off of your dry flies? If so, how deep do you usually fish them? That is, how much tippet do you tie off of your dry to the wet? I admit, I have never spent much time fishing wet flies, and I know I am missing a lot of opportunities to catch more fish.

there's a million answers for that.

if you use the dry like a bobber or strike indicator,a common measurement is one and a half times the depth of the stream.

i often,however,measure tippet by armspan and tye my flies fairly evenly spaced on that. so if i have three flies,and the bob fly is dry the next fly is a little closer than one third the way to the last fly.

however,sometimes i fish the dropper as a damp fly in the surface film,so that might just be about a foot to sixteen inches away from the first fly.

for me the even spacing(sometimes a little more distance for the bottom dropper) and keeping distances short means less tangles

Posted on: 2013/3/5 15:43

From Ferguson Twp.
Another thing you can do when you're fishing wets is if you see a couple start to rise, cast to them and swing it past them. You will get takes more often than you would think.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 18:02

From Bucks County
Micro or mini, (read small), shot about 18" up also works well, especially in the winter when the fly turns to ice and freezes/floats.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 19:16

From Berks County
Shakey, If I am understanding you correctly, when you aren't fishing the wet fly in the film, you are fishing it much like a nymph. So the only difference is letting it swing at the end of your drift? I guess I always (incorrectly) envisioned fishing the wet fly below the dropper with less tippet than you would a nymph.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 22:10

From philadelphia
i don't think you were incorrect! i was just giving a few of the million ways to do it.

yes,a great way to do it is a foot to 16 inches or so off the dry.

or,you COULD do it just like a nymph.

i sometimes mix nymphs,like a prince nymph,right in with wets.

and,also,you don't always swing wets.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 2:27

From Lancaster
Many times I fish tandem wet flies (two flies, I rarely fish three at a time). One thing I have been doing which I really like is to tie the point fly on about 16-18"piece of tippet tied off of the eye of the top fly. I catch about the same proportion of fish off of either fly. I think setting it up this way allows the top fly to move and flutter freely with the currents. The best part is no messing with droppers and no tangles = more fishing time.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 6:26

From Ephrata, PA
I read one article about a guy who fishes them from upstream, and snakes them down the channels of a stream, slowly letting line out. Kind of cool.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 8:26

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I read one article about a guy who fishes them from upstream, and snakes them down the channels of a stream, slowly letting line out. Kind of cool.

squatch - read Charlie Fox on wets - he fished them like dries, nymphs and streamers on the Letort.

i always fished them like streamers before, now i'll try a lot more ways.

this winter i added silver caddis, caddis, sulphur, trico and baetis wets to the traditional yellow, orange, green and peacock soft hackles in my box.

i also read sylvester nemes 'fishing soft hackle and mini soft hackle flies' - a waste of money imho.

his micro soft hackles are basically tyed size 22 or 20 on an 18 short shank hook, and he just pulls the hackle through the wraps to make it smaller....

did you know that until the turn of the century, that all fly fishing was wets in the US ?

turning back to Ireland, i fish a cast of three caddis wets quartered across the weedbeds at dusk to pick up big wild trout -my biggest is 4.5lbs around 22".

the same night i saw a 6lber taken by a local.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 17:44

Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:

I use this method a lot, works well. Snake it downstream (you can shake the rod tip to pay out line), then inch it back upstream. Mend the line with the rod tip to cover more water laterally.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 20:22

From Ferguson Twp.
I do that with streamers, never thought to try it with wets. Good idea.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 6:17

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com