Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Wet Wading ...

I presume that a comment regarding wet wading in the Neshaminy may be designed to counter balance the caution expressed regarding wet wading in streams that receive treated sewage because Neshaminy receives a lot. Meanwhile, I have wet waded the Schuylkill with some frequency below Reading, as have a number of my friends. there have been no ill-effects, but of course our baby-boomer childhoods allowed us to perhaps develop tough immune systems.

Posted on: 7/13 13:04

From Philadelphia, PA
... it is also worth noting that what's growing in the filthy, anaerobic environment inside your waders is likely considerably more dangerous than what's floating in your typical trout stream.

Posted on: 7/13 14:41

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
I remember about 2-3 years ago one of our members posted photos over a several month period about the flesh-eating infection he got in a brush scratch after wet wading. In the end he was left with a nice big scar.

Mine wasn't that bad but required hospital intravenous & overnight stay to break the fever ... also was about a brush scratch that I waded with. But I'm diabetic & maybe other people fight infections better than I do.

FFS for the eleventieth billion time, HE WAS WEARING WADERS WHEN HE GOT THE INFECTION!!!11!!!

Posted on: 7/14 10:32

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

JasonS wrote:

FFS for the eleventieth billion time, HE WAS WEARING WADERS WHEN HE GOT THE INFECTION!!!11!!!

Yeah, why no one can remember that is beyond me.

The infection came from what was living in his waders, not what was living in the stream.

Posted on: 7/14 10:42

From Pittsburgh
I've fished some tailwaters that stay too cold for wet wading during summer.
I was down the yough river one very hot day, and decided to take a swim in the lake above confluence before fishing. When I finished, I thought to myself, why get changed again, and put waders on - and decided to wet wade in my swimming trunks in the tailrace water below. With water temps in the low '50's, it was very refreshing at first. Later on in the evening though, as the sun went down, I got chilled to the bone so much, that my teeth were chattering - and I had to quit fishing before dark.

On one of my first trips to the bighorn river out west, I poked a hole in my waders one day, and had to dry them out and patch them. I needed to let the aqua seal dry fully over night, and had no waders to wear that evening. Decided to give wet wading a shot there, and also got very chilled towards dark

Posted on: 7/14 11:11

From Nicholson PA
Depends where and when(Temp,clarity,Location)Always ware wading boots and studs.

Posted on: 7/14 11:16

Quote:

greenlander wrote:
... it is also worth noting that what's growing in the filthy, anaerobic environment inside your waders is likely considerably more dangerous than what's floating in your typical trout stream.

right on,Bro.

Posted on: 7/14 11:24

From Ligonier
Never wet wade. All of my fishing location require walk/hike through briars, poisan ivy, sharp rock, ticks, etc. Funny, as a kid I was your typical Tom Sawyer type - never wore shoes from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Never saw a swimming hole I didn't like, or a water snake I couldn't catch bare-handed!!!

I feel so old:(

Posted on: 7/14 12:01

From S.E. PA
My biggest concern would be broken glass and leeches.

Posted on: 7/14 12:14

From Forks of the Ohio
When I wear waders, I feel like I have more freedom of movement for whatever reason. Its silly but i just dont like getting my shorts wet when wet wading.

At the end of the day though, wading is by far my favorite form of fishing. I'd much rather be knee deep in water than out on a boat

Posted on: 7/14 12:32

From Somerset P.A.
I wet wade as soon as weather allows. I always wear wading shoes with studs, usually a pair of shorts that are old cut off work pants, no shirt and as little tackle as I can get by with. It is so much more comfortable and relaxing than having waders, a vest, a net to carrying around. However when it is cold out I don't mind waders and a vest.

Posted on: 7/14 16:04

From SE Pa
Quote:
Quote:
JasonS wrote:

Yeah, why no one can remember that is beyond me.

The infection came from what was living in his waders, not what was living in the stream.

I apologize, I never meant to intentionally deceive people. I just don’t remember that part. I’m sorry I made that post.

Posted on: 7/14 16:42

From Chester County
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
I remember about 2-3 years ago one of our members posted photos over a several month period about the flesh-eating infection he got in a brush scratch after wet wading. In the end he was left with a nice big scar.

Mine wasn't that bad but required hospital intravenous & overnight stay to break the fever ... also was about a brush scratch that I waded with. But I'm diabetic & maybe other people fight infections better than I do.

Yeah, I hate to even imagine what J had living in his waders!

Posted on: 7/14 18:05

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

springer1 wrote:

I apologize, I never meant to intentionally deceive people. I just don’t remember that part. I’m sorry I made that post.

Not a big deal and certainly no apology necessary. It is just surprising how many times that incident has been used here as an example of why you shouldn't wet wade, when in reality it is anything but.

Posted on: 7/14 18:11

From Landenberg, PA
i wear simms flats boots i got on sale, and scrubs pants tucked into long soccer socks.

no to weils disease, ticks, bugs and leeches.

Posted on: 7/18 16:59

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com