Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Wet Wading ...

From Clinton County, Pa.
I have wet waded in the past. I don't any more. If it's hot I wear my lightweight stockingfoot hippers with my wading boots.

Posted on: 7/11 22:54

From Gettysburg
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
I wet wade a lot.
I wear the quick drying fishing pants already mentioned. I never zip them off. The long pants give you some protection against ticks, mosquitoes, sunburn, etc.
Also, I wear regular wading shoes. Sandals do not give your feet enough protection against broken glass, sharp metal objects, etc. Even rocks sometimes have sharp edges that can slice feet.

Me too. I also wear wading shoes over socks and am careful about minor cuts.

Posted on: 7/11 22:56

From Leola Pa
Wet wade in a cheap board shorts and an old pair of Columbia light hikers. My waders gave up the ghost this year so no choice but even with waders they are gone as soon as it starts to get warm.

Posted on: 7/11 23:59

From Pittsburgh
I gave up wet wading years ago.
Besides the reasons already mentioned, I just really don't like walking around with wet pants and underwear. And if you move from one stream to another, you have to change your clothes - or get your car seat soaked?

Posted on: 7/12 7:57

From Couldn't Care Less
Went out yesterday in fishing shorts and my wading boots. I started arnd 2PM (84 degrees) and I was very comfortable and didn't wade that deep.

Quote:
dryflyguy wrote:
I just really don't like walking around with wet pants and underwear.

My fishing pants/shorts are quick drying material and I did tight workout/gym shorts for underwear

Posted on: 7/12 8:07

From Couldn't Care Less
Alnitak and RCfetter ... So u guys r happy with the Keens and they work well re: protection? Also ... are those studs removable so u can use the sandals in other situations?

Posted on: 7/12 8:16

Who wouldn't wade wet??? I use regular wading boots with studs - Cabela's brand right now. I wear sandels when canoe or yaking, larger rivers, but other than that I wear the boots. And I always have a gym bag with dry clothes, whether I am wet wading or in waders...

Posted on: 7/12 9:42

From Lancaster, PA
I really like the Keens. The one downside is that with a closed toe if you get a stone in there it doesn't roll out as easily as open-toed sandals--but you have toe protection, so its a trade-off.

You could unscrew the studs, but they're not meant to removed and and reattached all the time. If I did it again I'd get slightly shorter studs or put washers on them. I can just barely feel the tips of the screws every now and then. It was an old pair of Keens, so I was willing to experiment.

Jeff

Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Alnitak and RCfetter ... So u guys r happy with the Keens and they work well re: protection? Also ... are those studs removable so u can use the sandals in other situations?

Posted on: 7/12 12:53

From glen rock, pa
Bathing suit and wading boots or old shoes been doing it since I was a kid anywhere from codorus creek to the gun powder to the upper delaware river. I even wet wading in Colorado when I was out there a few summers ago.

Posted on: 7/12 13:06

From Banshee
Dry. How can you wet wade Codorus. I tried it the other day and my legs were so cold I couldn't stand one more minute and it was nearly 90 degrees.

Posted on: 7/12 15:49

From Lehighton, PA
Quote:

RLeeP wrote:
I don't wet wade. Anywhere...

It isn't just infections, etc. that concern me. I've posted this a half dozen times over the years, but I had a friend (actually he was one of the more prolific posters on the first incarnation of this forum back in the 90's) who walked down into the no-kill on Hickory Run in cut offs and sneakers and began to fish his way back up. He stepped sideways on the wrong rock, slipped and a sharp streamside stick punctured his femoral artery. He made a tourniquet with his bandana and a stick and made it out of there. But he could just as easily have bled out.

No thanks..

Glad your friend survived but that's got little to do with whether he was wet wading or not and more to do with not wearing the proper footwear for the activity. I always wonder why some people that wear the proper wading boots while wearing waders would then wet wade in sneakers or sandles?

Posted on: 7/12 16:01

From Lambertville
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:

The Keens are very high quality, very comfortable sandals although the word "sandal" does not do them justice.

I got them at Eastern Mountain Sports on
Easton Road.

Posted on: 7/13 10:20

From SE Pa
I remember about 2-3 years ago one of our members posted photos over a several month period about the flesh-eating infection he got in a brush scratch after wet wading. In the end he was left with a nice big scar.

Mine wasn't that bad but required hospital intravenous & overnight stay to break the fever ... also was about a brush scratch that I waded with. But I'm diabetic & maybe other people fight infections better than I do.

Posted on: 7/13 10:39

From Lancaster, PA
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
I remember about 2-3 years ago one of our members posted photos over a several month period about the flesh-eating infection he got in a brush scratch after wet wading. In the end he was left with a nice big scar.

Mine wasn't that bad but required hospital intravenous & overnight stay to break the fever ... also was about a brush scratch that I waded with. But I'm diabetic & maybe other people fight infections better than I do.

First of all, yes, as a diabetic you are definitely more susceptible to infection than the general population. Second, the bacteria that are involved in a typical necrotizing fasciitis (i.e., "flesh eating bacteria") case are bacteria that are usually found on the skin. Its not some odd bacteria you get from a stream. Finally, a very high percentage of people who contract an infection like this are immuno-compromised, which is the real reason the infection runs amok.

What this means is that the average person need not fear getting an infection like that from wet wading. One exception: Your risk is increased if you're wet wading in a stream that is subject to pollution with waste from humans. Raw sewage or poorly treated wastewater come to mind. I personally try not to fish any stream that is subject to either. Lititz Run? I've fished it three times and every time its smelled like a sewer due to the Lititz waste water treatment plant upstream. I won't wet wade that stream.

Posted on: 7/13 11:06

From Bucks County
I wade In shorts all the time along the Neshaminy. I have never had an issue in the past 8 years of doing this. The only time I wear waders on the Neshaminy is of the water is to cold for my liking.

Posted on: 7/13 12:52

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com