Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Wet Wading ...

From Couldn't Care Less
Yea .... unless I'm gonna be in an easy spot like Tyler park I'm definitely wearing wading boots 4 the reasons troutbert posted (safety and stability)

Posted on: 7/11 10:01

From Lancaster, PA
Good point on the ticks...but they can climb onto you at any point and find their way through clothing. To combat them I just use DEET. One has to be careful to not get it on your fly line or really almost anything else but it does the trick. I'm also fortunate in that I don't attract many ticks even without spray. I can go out in the woods with a friend and they'll come back with 10 or more ticks and I'll not have even one. This year I've been out in the woods at least twice a week, often three or four times and found a sum total of one tick on me.

As for foot protection, I wear a pair of Keen sandals that are designed for use in water and and have toe protection. I screwed a set of Orvis studs into the soles and those things are grippy even on the most slippery rocks.

I forgot about the obnoxious stinging nettles. I traipse through a patch of them a few weeks ago and was rapidly reminded.

Attach file:

jpg  PAFF-1.jpg (136.77 KB)
9439_53c0119c05543.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 7/11 12:32

From SE PA - Montgomery County
This topic comes up ever summer.

I do it most of the summer. I wear a light tan colored hiking pants that are soaked with Permathrin to keep the ticks off and the light color helps to be able to see them if they do get on me. The permathrin says it stays on through 6 washings, so two pair of pants can get me through the summer usually.

I wear wading shoes that have soft rubber soles. They grip well enough in the stream I fish in the summer.

Posted on: 7/11 12:40

From collegeville, pa
sweatin my ballz off is better than ending up in the hospital with an infection.....it happened to me.

ps - I may be a bit clumsy so take it FWIW

Posted on: 7/11 12:59

From Chester County
I wet wade all the time. I can't stand being in waders when its 75+ degrees out. I wet wade the Brandywine all the time and I can't imagine the Neshaminy being that much worse than it. You'll be fine.

My biggest worries are water snakes and snapping turtles. I'm terrified of both.

Posted on: 7/11 13:35

From berks county
I hate waders. The second the water is tolerable my waders go into the attic. Id walk in a river filled with poop thanks to my trusty keen sandels :). I feel out of touch with nature when I have waders on, I don't like that fabric separating me from my second home (the water).

Posted on: 7/11 14:47

I have started to wet wade in very small remote streams. gear is ex officio nylon bugsway permethrin pants, redington neoprene (perforated on bottom) wading socks over thin nylon liners, super light Patagonia river walker wading boots .... I wear light evs option ($30 amazon) motocross knee/ shin guards under the pants and turtleskin gaitors over them for brush and just in case. ... sounds like a lot of stuff, but its cooler than even good breathable waders.

Posted on: 7/11 15:14

Edited by k-bob on 2014/7/11 15:43:12
Edited by k-bob on 2014/7/11 15:44:06

From Lambertville
I also use the Keen sandals. They are nice but they should be for $100.

Posted on: 7/11 17:34

From Newville, PA
I wet wade everywhere beginning around June 1st. I wear the LL Bean wading pants along with a pair of Simms wading socks and my wading boots. The socks work as a gravel guard when folded over and hooked to the D-ring on my boots.

Posted on: 7/11 17:50

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I don't wet wade. Anywhere...

It isn't just infections, etc. that concern me. I've posted this a half dozen times over the years, but I had a friend (actually he was one of the more prolific posters on the first incarnation of this forum back in the 90's) who walked down into the no-kill on Hickory Run in cut offs and sneakers and began to fish his way back up. He stepped sideways on the wrong rock, slipped and a sharp streamside stick punctured his femoral artery. He made a tourniquet with his bandana and a stick and made it out of there. But he could just as easily have bled out.

No thanks..

Posted on: 7/11 17:51

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

JasonS wrote:
The worst thing about wet wading is that gd devils weed, nettles. Quick dry pants usually don't protect against them. I'm typically just rocking shorts and flip flops. #YOLO

hey now.

nettles are deeee-licious.

Posted on: 7/11 18:50

From Philadelphia, PA
I spent my entire childhood playing in streams that weren't remotely as clean as the ones I fish today. So do millions upon millions of kids across the country today.

Unless you're suffering from some sort of immune disorder, I find it hard to believe that our trout streams are festering stinkholes just waiting to infect all of us.

I wet wade the as soon as I can tolerate it each year. Before, really.

You'll be fine. Don't let growing old turn you into a big fat sissy.

Posted on: 7/11 18:54

From SE Pa
Stags I have wet waded the neshaminy creek for quite a few decades. I only started wearing waders when the water temps get down to the low 60's. The cold water makes my back hurt anymore.

I wear my wading boots with a neoprene sock and what ever shorts I happen to have on when I get the urge to hit the creek for a few hours. I just try to keep my wallet dry.

Posted on: 7/11 20:26

From SE Pa
Quote:
sweatin my ballz off is better than ending up in the hospital with an infection.....it happened to me.

+1

Posted on: 7/11 22:39

From Chester County
Almost seems its 50/50 on this topic. Interesting.

Posted on: 7/11 22:44

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com