Wet Fly Leader Question

O

Outback_Yak

I am planning to try some wet fly fishing this year and need some help on the make up of the rig. I understand the composition of the rig itself. My question is what size tippet/brand of line/poundage do you use for the dropper tags?

I recall an interview Eric Stroup did with Dave Allbaugh on his Facetime Fly Fishing show, in which Dave described using something like 15lb test for his dropper flies. I could be completely wrong on that tippet size, but I do believe it was rather heavy. I’m guessing the heavier tippet is stiffer and keeps the flies away from the leader, so they don’t tangle.

Any advise and resources you can lend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I use essentially the same leader I use for nymphing: about 8-9' in length tapered down to a tippet of 6lb test line. I use the same pound test for the droppers as the rest of the leader (6lb test) and usually fish two flies, sometimes three.

Definitely give wet fly fishing a try - you'll love it and it really just smashes the fish, especially in the springtime and on streams with wild brown trout. If caddis are in the air, all the better.

I agree with Dave, wet fly fishing is an awful lot of fun and is definitely very productive. I usually fish two flies as well when fishing wets. I never got real technical on tying up special droppers although i’ve often considered it. Many times I just use the heavier tag end of a blood knot for my dropper. I also often just tie my point fly tippet off of the eye of the hook of my top fly. This is a virtually tangle free system but still one that I have a lot of confidence in as I’ve caught a lot of fish using it.

I also usually incorporate a section of Maxima Chameleon in my wet fly leaders. This tippet material has a certain amount of stretch built into its properties and serves as a very effective shock absorber. I feel this gives me an edge and covers me on a multitude of errors made on the hook up as many of the takes are when you have a fairly tight system between your flies and your reel.

I use a 40 lb butt section of Maxima Chameleon on my carp leaders as well for the same reason. That built in shock absorber is very forgiving when fighting and landing very heavy fish.

Good luck with your wet fly fishing. Hang on and have fun, the takes are generally not subtle!

I remember doing that show a few years back with Eric. I thought it was pretty wild all the questions that were coming in.

To your question. The leader that I've been using for years is a 9 foot leader with a 4x tippet. Tippet is 20 to 21 inches long. The droppers are .015 (25 lb test) and are 6 inches long. This stiff dropper material will keep your flies from tangling around the terminal part of the leader. If you use anything thinner then .015 you'll be tangled all day. You'll have no problem hooking fish on that heavy of material that your using for the droppers. The leader material I use is Frog Hair. The main part of the leader is built out of Frog Hair mono and the tippet and droppers are Frog Hair fluorocarbon. Hope that helps you out and fun swinging some wets.

Masontackle.com makes a variety of hard nylon that will give you a good “stand-off” effect for your droppers in a good selection of lb. test.

congratulations on getting into some real wetfly fishing!

you will find that it isn't much harder than dry fly fishing(wherein you can see the take ,two dimensions) and can be very rewarding.

i use the same tippet for all wets,usually three at a time.
usually 4x unless i have really big flies on,then,i use 6lb test.

christopher fave ties a very nice wet fly leader,or,you can tye your own.

also,in really fast water ,if you are fishing downstream,you can use a long piece of 20lb test with no taper as a leader.

good luck,welcome to wet fly fishing!!

Swinging three wets is a blast under the right conditions. Try a 5x 7 1/2 foot store bought leader. Tie on a tippet ring. 8 inches of 3x on a dropper knot about 15 inches up from the ring. 8 inches of 3x on the ring and 24 inches of 4x on the ring. And hang on.

I got into the habit of making my own leaders and tippets. example: I will use 4' for 8lb line to 3' of 4lb to 3' of 2lb to the dry fly. I use a dry fly dropper with 2lb test line to my nymph. I never put on a heavier pound test line after the dry fly dropper than what I have for my smallest leader/tippet. length between dropper and nymph depends on depth.

Are you guys using indicators when you swing wets, or just feeling your way through the drift?

No need to an indicator when fishing wets. If you're fishing down and across, you'll feel the tug, and probably see the take as well. If you're fishing upstream, you're leading the flies much like Euro-nympher, and again you'll feel it.

If you're fishing up and across, you'll either see the take or else the line/leader junction functions perfectly well as an indicator.

Hello Mr Allbaugh,

I remember fishing with you years ago on the Little J - learned so much and very much appreciated. One thing i can't remember is how to tie the loop in the leader to connect the .015. Any way you could show a picture and maybe explain this part of your setup?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Sgrim: I use a dry fly as my indicator because anything else usually makes a bigger splash which can spook the fish.

When I don't use the dry fly I keep the line pretty well taunt through it's travel and can feel the tug when a fish hits. Also the line will jerk when a fish hits.

Wow thanks for all the info guys! This wet fly fishing is like some type of dark art for me lol.

Houli, thanks for posing that question to Mr. Allbaugh. That is exactly the issue I am having as well.

Instructions for tying a dropper loop
https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/dropper-loop

The site Number6 posted is exactly how I tie the dropper loop into the terminal part of the leader. The first dropper loop up from the end of the tippet will be about 27 to 28 inches and the second loop will be 18 to 20 inches up from the first dropper loop. Then take your 6 inch dropper material (.015) and clinch knot it to the loop and tie your fly on and your ready to go.

There are many ways to rig for wet flies. Like several others that posted before me, I too use droppers from surgeons knots to fish wets. This is essentially the same rig I use for nymphs giving me great flexibility to quickly and easily change fishing methods and fly types. 4x tippet material works well for me.

Below is a link to a great wet fly primer by Dave Whitlock. The rig I mentioned above is pictured and detailed in the article.

Wet Fly Rig and Fishing Tips

Thanks a bunch - exactly what I was looking for.

sgrim wrote:
Are you guys using indicators when you swing wets, or just feeling your way through the drift?

i don't use an indicator,but,using one when swinging wouldn't make sense to me.

perhaps using one while dead drifting,or,while fishing upstream would make more sense,in which case,i would probably use a dry as an indicator.

swinging flies is only one small aspect of wet fly fishing.it is,however,one of the easiest ways to use wet flies,just as easy as dry fly fishing.

If you want to try wet flies and keep it really simple, just snip off your dry fly and tie on a wet fly.

There is no law that you have to fish multiple wet flies.

You can fish just one. Which makes rigging simple.

And also makes things simpler when you get tangles in the tree branches.

troutbert wrote:
If you want to try wet flies and keep it really simple, just snip off your dry fly and tie on a wet fly.

There is no law that you have to fish multiple wet flies.

You can fish just one. Which makes rigging simple.

And also makes things simpler when you get tangles in the tree branches.

great point!!!

also,for those trying to get into wet fly fishing,some nymphs,such as a prince or a zug bug with decent hackle,work just fine as wet flies.

you can also use many drowned dries as wet flies,for example,a griffith's gnat or a crackle back.or,of course,an ant.

Back