Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Western fishing trip to kill some time

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
The Letort is our go-to stream to describe the epitome of a limestone creek. A slow, meandering river, where the water is "pushed" by the spring rather than flowing down gradient. Lots of weeds. Smooth, sandy bottom. Flat surface with complicated, meandering currents.

That said, it can lead you in the wrong direction, especially for central PA and Clinton Cty, where I think you will be. Many limestoners up there have much more of a freestone nature. Riffles and pools, even some rapids, rock bottoms, etc. Big Fishing Creek is the famous limestoner in that neighborhood, and very much looks like a freestoner with limestone water chemistry. Penns Creek is awfully similar in nature, below Coburn anyway. But much larger. Spring Creek is close by as well, not quite as brawling but still plenty of riffles and rocks. There are lots of smaller limestoners too.

Generally, in that area, the big wide valleys hold limestoners. The narrow mountain valleys hold freestoners. Freestoners actually typically have better fish structure, but limestoners more than make up for it with fertility and temperature advantages.

Penns and BFC are priceless exceptions, where a limestoner, over part of their path, cut through narrow gaps in the mountains and take on a freestone structure while maintaining the fertility and temperature advantages of limestoners.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 8:36

From pennsylvania
Quote:
My observation of the browns is what I have ran across in 3 western states, excluding CO (which I have not fished).
Browns in MT

Nelson's Spring Creek Resized Image

Quote:
WY, ID are not as pretty
Resized Image
Silver Creek

Quote:
as PA fish
Resized Image
Laurel Hill Creek

Quote:
but then again there are a lot more and a lot bigger (on average) out there.

Resized Image
Little J

Really?

Actually, I agree with you on the second part, but not the first part...

Posted on: 2013/9/10 9:30

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Your PA fish are not great examples. The Laurel Hill fish is very likely a stocker. And the LJR is likely wild, but they're not exactly known to be the prettiest fish around (but it does grow em big).

Here's a pretty wild one from a SE PA freestoner. Lots of them are bright like this:

Resized Image

And a very typical limestone brownie (this one's from Spring Creek).

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/9/10 9:46

From Fairborn, OH
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
...Last, I refuse to hear you complain any more until you head down to Laughlin and get into some of those 20" bows that are running around scared of those HUGE stripers! (Seriously, my wife and I are currently fighting over where we are going to make offers on a secondary which will become our primary in the future. She is voting Laughlin area while I am leaning toward GVR). Then again properties right in town have become so cheap and are starting to rebound. Oh hell, send me a PM so people don't have to entertain my vacation prospects.

I will, I will! Promise! Expect a PM when I get out of work. I have a few questions about Laughlin you might be able to help answer before I set out there. As an Air Force guy, I'm only going to be here so long before I have to move, so I need to get all of this in in the next year or so. Definitely don't want to miss out the river action down that way.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 10:10

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com