Weird Fish

G

Guitangler

Look at this trout. It's like a chub-shaped trout. What do y'all make of it? Look how big its eye is compared to the rest...

It's like a rainbow trout that has birth defects. Definitely freaky looking! :-o

Haha, and i thought the ones i caught were as round as they got...

http://sepafishing.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=275

http://sepafishing.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=95

Looks like someone cut them in half and their tails are growing back...geez those are ugly fish.

There were some pretty stream-bred browns though... :)

The state always stocks a few stubby rainbows.

One look and I laughed my butt off.

Seriously, that is the uggliest trout I have ever seen. It must be a mutant, how else would it have ended up so messed up looking?

Welp, that pic certainly didn't improve my thoughts on the looks of stocked bows.

Not only is it weird looking, it's nearly as big as a tree! :)

I think it's the new bluegill x rainbow hybrid!

Now if they can come up with a "palomino" version of that, they'll really have something.

troutbert wrote:
I think it's the new bluegill x rainbow hybrid!

LOL! you beat me to it.

Looks crappie.

Pun intended.

Thats just a hatchery mutation. Or rather I believe a genetic deficiency where the growth of the trout is limited to the front half of the body. That one in the picture seems to be confined very near the head. Others may grow to normal size all the way back to beyond the Dorsal or even anal fin and then be stunted.

Its kinda like a spinal cord injury or paralysis.

Out of about 7,000 brown trout I handle per year, I usually see at least one maybe 2 in the bunch.

For Rainbows, it seems everytime the State Truck comes down this way, there are at least one or two. So I think the preponderance of this affliction is greater with Rainbows than with browns. It could be an indicator of over breeding or perhaps a "dwarf" gene that dominates, just as in our own society on occassion.

these are fish that don't typically survive in wild trout populations due to "survival of the fittest".

I think it is a photoshop job. Look how the head really doesn't match the body. Plus the background and water aren't the right perspective.

lol @ nick.

Maurice, I'm not claiming this to be whirling disease. But I do know that with whirling disease, while browns and rainbows are affected, its typically only the rainbows that show effects, mostly in the form of deformities. Is there something physiologically different in rainbows that makes them more susceptible to growth defects?

Also, if you google pictures of the world record rainbow (some lake in Canada I believe), the thing looks kinda like that on a much bigger scale. Just unbelievably fat, possibly just a grossly overfed fish?

Looks like the hunchback of Pine Creek(or ? creek).Downstream of the toxic waste outflow.Sort of looks like a cut and paste job to me.

Our club raises about 4000 trout and I saw 2 like that this year.
Sometimes they look like the hunchback of ND.

You know, when I caught it, I thought it looked like a photoshop job, too. Except I was HOLDING IT! I also thought it looked like a taxidermist mounted a bluegill and painted it like a rainbow. But, believe it, it's real.

This is the second one like this I caught. The other one had a clipped fin and was a little bigger. This one had all its fins intact (that's how I know it was a different one).

This was on Donegal creek. I catch plenty of nice-looking browns that either were born there, are long-time holdovers, or maybe were stocked as fingerlings. I thought they had stopped stocking it, but there seems to be a new infestation of rainbows this year. Oh well, certainly decreased the time between hooking fish.

Looks like is swallered a snuff can.

Back