Weather impacting trout and hatches

krayfish

krayfish

If you look at old magazines, they print the best fishing times table. I always got a good laugh out of those things. You always hear bass fisherman or walleye fisherman talk about the bite being best on a falling barometer.

In the last couple of years, I've been staying in touch with a guy and much of his success or lack of success he links to the barometric pressure. I didn't buy that crap at all but as time passes, I find myself giving it much more consideration / attention when I'm headed out to catch a hatch.

In theory, it makes sense. Lower pressure on the water should make hatching easier. He claims that it's also more user friendly to the fish and better rising is found when the barometric pressure is low. I'm starting to believe.

Anyone else experienced diminished hatches during high pressure? If you think about it...blue bird skies usually go with a bubble of high pressure over us. On Penns, I think that slows the hatching and all but stops the "catching". Falling barometer or low pressure usually has cloudy skies or skies changing to rain. I've seen some sick hatches and great fishing during those periods. Just something to think about and maybe keep track of this season to see if it holds true.

Yes, I am a believer. All of god's creatures are in tune with their environment. Barometric pressure being just one variable.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a factor. But likely a small one. The correlation of atmospheric pressure with fishing success/failure is probably pretty high, but not very causative. The causative part being the bluebird sunny skies that high pressure brings, vs. clouds and rain that low pressure brings. Those DEFINITELY have an effect.

As do the temperature affects. High pressure/clear skies typically results in warmer days and colder nights. Clouds, the opposite. And then of course cold fronts and warm fronts. At this time of year, a strong cold front will absolutely turn things off for a day or two afterwards, as temperatures are cold and water temps are dropping. And a pressure believe will say "yep, fishing was good at low pressure, now the barometer is rising and it sucks". But it was the temperature, not the pressure.

The actual change in pressure is just so miniscule in flowing water. The turbulence of the current FAR outweighs it.

I believe it's true that weather affects trout feeding behavior and hatches. Exactly how, the only thing I know for sure is cold fronts impact fishing in a negative way, no hatches no catching, and during the days and hours leadding to a passing cold front fishing can be quite good.
It sucked this week. But I did catch 1 17 inch laker this week.

Chaz wrote:
I believe it's true that weather affects trout feeding behavior and hatches. Exactly how, the only thing I know for sure is cold fronts impact fishing in a negative way, no hatches no catching, and during the days and hours leadding to a passing cold front fishing can be quite good.

Can't really agree with you on this.
I spent 4 days fishing BWO's on spring creek last month. The first day was sunny and warm - with air temps around 60. And the fishing was lousy. Very few bugs and rising fish.
And the weather got colder and nastier every day for the next 3 days there. And the worse it got, the better the hatching and rising fish. Until finally by the 4th day, I was fishing with snow falling and terrible winds. But those BWO's still came off, and the fish came up for them nicely.

And that has happened to me before - especially with BWO's

pcray1231 wrote:
I'm not saying it couldn't be a factor. But likely a small one. The correlation of atmospheric pressure with fishing success/failure is probably pretty high, but not very causative. The causative part being the bluebird sunny skies that high pressure brings, vs. clouds and rain that low pressure brings. Those DEFINITELY have an effect.

As do the temperature affects. High pressure/clear skies typically results in warmer days and colder nights. Clouds, the opposite. And then of course cold fronts and warm fronts. At this time of year, a strong cold front will absolutely turn things off for a day or two afterwards, as temperatures are cold and water temps are dropping. And a pressure believe will say "yep, fishing was good are low pressure, now the barometer is rising and it sucks". But it was the temperature, not the pressure.

The actual change in pressure is just so miniscule in flowing water. The turbulence of the current FAR outweighs it.

I believe you are 100% correct here. I came to the same realization years ago when I lived down south and was in to BASSCAR.

Just thought I'd put this back out there since I haven't seen 10 mayflies on my house in a week....until we finally had bad weather roll through last night.

Thousands of olives and iso on my house. I'm now a believer.

I have enjoyed many fine days of fishing during wonderful weather, including quite a few fine BWO outings last winter. I also have enjoyed many fine days of fishing during wet, drizzly weather, especially during sulphur hatches.
One thing I have noticed, though, is that when a high pressure front and lovely weather comes in after low pressure and gray, humid weather, the trout pretty much shut down for a day or two, and fishing can be difficult.

pcray1231 wrote:

As do the temperature affects. High pressure/clear skies typically results in warmer days and colder nights. Clouds, the opposite. And then of course cold fronts and warm fronts. At this time of year, a strong cold front will absolutely turn things off for a day or two afterwards, as temperatures are cold and water temps are dropping. And a pressure believe will say "yep, fishing was good at low pressure, now the barometer is rising and it sucks". But it was the temperature, not the pressure.

Q again FT.

Agreed. Last night the hatch was amazing and the trout were going nuts feeding on them. Weather definitely plays an important role.

I think the CHANGE in barometric pressure has an effect on hatches not necessarily what it is currently. Does that make sense anyone? hatches (for me) seem to be more consistent with consistent weather/pressure but a change in barometric pressure will either trigger or slow a hatch.

So, umm, you're saying wind has an effect on bugs? Yup.

My views on this haven't changed.

1. Bugs/fish are not reacting directly to changes in atmospheric pressure.

2. However, bugs/fish do react directly to weather and changes in the weather. I don't think anybody would deny that. And those changes in the weather are caused by changes in atmospheric pressure. So indirectly, yes, it absolutely has an effect.

Good article on the many complexities of aquatic insect development.

http://www.laughingrivers.com/rick-timing.html

dryflyguy wrote:
Chaz wrote:

Can't really agree with you on this.
I spent 4 days fishing BWO's on spring creek last month. The first day was sunny and warm - with air temps around 60. And the fishing was lousy. Very few bugs and rising fish.
And the weather got colder and nastier every day for the next 3 days there. And the worse it got, the better the hatching and rising fish. Until finally by the 4th day, I was fishing with snow falling and terrible winds. But those BWO's still came off, and the fish came up for them nicely.

And that has happened to me before - especially with BWO's
Actually we do agree, I just didn't get into the details. I've been out in some very bad weather and the fishing has been great, a passing cold front once it is through will cause fishing to be off for a day or 2.

As to Barometric Pressure affecting fishing, I believe it does. Every day as the sun goes down, and the evening cools the barometric pressure reaches a point that fish feel the change in the lateral line, and they will quit feeding even during a hatch. That's why fishing on evening when the temperature remains steady is almost always fabulous.

Back