WOW!

B

brookie

I remember there was post about what side of the missippi had better trout fishing, I think this video pretty much answers the question. look at the size of the stream and then look at the size of the fish and look how easy wily grabs them, thats insane, this is one of the coolest videos I have ever seen. I need to fish this stream!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjCd09VyQbE

You probably can't...now this is just a guess but I'd bet that old Wiley came across a spawning run of Cutts on their way to or from a larger body of water...Out there they actually close streams during spawning...Imagine that..hmmmm But like I said its just a guess.

could be just a side stream but there are dozens and dozens of small streams like that in western Montana.Many loaded with 12'' brookies that barely get noticed.A friend of my wife invited me to fish a stream that ran right through their barnyard.Absolutely loaded with fish.
Cutthroats make good bait for Dollies Vardens and easy to catch for rookies,old men and boys.{ducking and running-lol].

That is a cery cool video. I treally looks like a cutthroat spawning run, judging from the other vids in YNP. Those fish are up there making babies and will run back down by sometime in July. Streams that have a heavy cut run are closed until after they are finished.

Along those lines here is a pic of some wolves on an elk kill on Soda Butte this past Jan. We took a ride to Cooke City for lunch and on the wau home we spotted the pack headed towrds the kill. In all there were 20 wolves within a hundred yards or so of us. If you look close you can see the elk's antler sticking out of the water. Right before I took this pic there was a magpie perched on the antler. This photo op convinced me that I need to get a digital SLR and some zoom lenses.

Reguardless,if the stream was closed are open, it is still amazing how the cyote caught those fish.

OK, he catches two and drops them on the bank. Then he gets a third one that he carries off. Question is what did he do with the first two and plans to do with the third? I think he ate the first two and taking the third home to his mate. Saying Honey I caught dinner for us.

streams loaded with 12 inch brookies, doesnt get any better than that. The west definetely seems like mecca for trout fishing.

That wolf pic is pretty cool, do you know if the elk got caught in the river or was actually chased into the river by the wolves. Seems like a pretty good hunting strategy to force the elk to try and cross and then have the other pack members waiting on the other side. poor elk

As far as I know the wolves killed that elk. However, the stream is right next to the road, so it is concievable tat the bull was hit by a car. I saw a black wolf on another elk kill just a few hundred yards from there a couple months before. I have seen wolves in ones and twos often, but to see an entire pack of 20 all at once was amaqzing.

The fish that the coyote was catching were cutthroats. They do look like brookies though.

I have no respect for that coyote. Those fish were obviously stockers. :-o

Just for fun...lts say they were stockers...then they would have to be spawners since they could only have come up from a lake because i'm told that Montana doesn;t stock their rivers and streams...

Well, then, I have even less respect for him. Targeting spawning wild fish like that. Not very sportsmanlike. With his kind around, our regulations will not have any effect at all. :-( :-o :-D

Back