WB Brandywine

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

I entered the WB at about 11:30AM a half mile above the picnic park [Rt 52 Bridge]. The water was clear as a bell and the wading was easy. About 2 hours later I noticed the water was getting filled with leaves and twigs and was becoming very murky. The current was getting so swift and the water rose at least 6 inches. I had to exit the stream. Drove a 1/2 mile upstream and the river was chocolate milk. No sign of thunderstorm activity and I think I would have known if a storm occurred upstream in the Coatesville area. I drove down to the stretch behind the Brandywine River Museum and the water was clear. Can anyone explain this? I am wondering if there is some kind of flood measures taken upstream.

There were some very, very small thunderstorms in the northern part of the county starting around 2:30 p.m. eventually most of the county got hit, the rain was extremely heavy for about 20 mins. It sounds to me like the water rose before these storms though...wierd.

Modena water level

Hopefully you see this before saturday morning goes off the graph. Shows significant rise at Modena starting around 8 am Sat. Crested at 11:30 a.m. at about 4 ft.
still don't know what caused it but if it rose at Modena then the cause was somewhere upstream from there.

Thanks Rookie. I want to check out the flood gates at Hibernia. Maybe they were opened.

Back