Voluntary youth fishing licenses - info

M

Mike

http://www.fishandboat.com/youthlicense.htm

The only comment that I received so far on this topic was from one angler at an outdoor show. He liked the idea because he felt that the license and its display would make his child look and feel more like a grown-up.

One of ten at most. The other nine parents resent the imposition. After all, who is going to fill the freezer?

Mike

Can I purchase for my out-of-state grandchildren?

I am not quite sure what the PA Fish and Boat Commission is talking about educating the youth. I thought that was the parents, relatives, friends, or even local TU organizations responsibilities. Here we go again passing the "buck" onto someone else to teach our own children.

I may get them for my kids....They both seem to think it makes fishing more grown up (as Mike pointed out). My 6 year old just thinks it will make him catch more fish. I'm not sure how, but it works in his head...

Mike wrote:
http://www.fishandboat.com/youthlicense.htm

The only comment that I received so far on this topic was from one angler at an outdoor show. He liked the idea because he felt that the license and its display would make his child look and feel more like a grown-up.

5+ pages of lively comments on the subject here.

mattwolf wrote:
I am not quite sure what the PA Fish and Boat Commission is talking about educating the youth. I thought that was the parents, relatives, friends, or even local TU organizations responsibilities. Here we go again passing the "buck" onto someone else to teach our own children.
Education is everyones job, and even though TU has in place educational thing for kids, the responsibility is still with the parents. BTW, PFBC has in it's fisheries management plans, that education is part of what they do.
Any questions? Look at the thread about the 2 youths who were cited along Ridley Creek.

DJS: There is no residency requirement for the youth permit or license, so you may make the purchase for your out-of-state grandchildren or get the free permit. You will need their SSN, height, eye color, etc..

mattwolf wrote:

Having a fish management agency provide educational opportunities for youth is not at odds with parents, relatives, friends or local fishing related organizations facilitating learning about fishing. It is not an either/or proposition. It is a both/and. For instance, I take my children fishing and try to immerse them into the natural world. I also take them to state park programs so they can learn about ecosystems and nature and enjoy boat rides. I don't own a pontoon boat, so I could not take them out on a boat ride to learn about great blue herons (although they know that dad doesn't care for them for their fish-mongering capacities).

I could home school my children, but believe that sending them to school is a better option. I'm not shirking any responsibility at all by doing that. The key is to be involved in whatever education may be occurring, be it fishing-related or otherwise. The PFBC can provide additional resources in that area that I cannot.

Another example would be a parent who has never fished before but buys a license because he feels that it would be a good bonding activity for his son. He attends one of the educational programs that the PFBC runs, where you show up at a lake, you get to use a rod, receive some instruction, etc.

Or even though it is not run by the PFBC, consider the upcoming Newbie Jam. It's a way for newbies and oldies to get some instruction and education on fly-fishing. All are worthwhile external activities that an involved parent can partake in with their children.

Mike wrote:
DJS: There is no residency requirement for the youth permit or license, so you may make the purchase for your out-of-state grandchildren or get the free permit. You will need their SSN, height, eye color, etc..

Thanks, Mike.

I'll be ordering up for the grands!

Back