Variety of fish one one stream.

BrooksAndHooks

BrooksAndHooks

What is most species of fish you have caught on one stream? I was curious what other people's experience was. I know a lot of us will go one place to target one type of fish, but how often do you go out and just catch as much or as many as you can? How many times have you caught the trifecta? (brook brown and bow).

The best I have down is two or three species in any one day, but I have caught 5 species on the same stream within a few mile stretch. I supposed stocked fish count, but I'm thinking more of natural reproduction. On my count of 5 I've caught stocked/holdover bows, wild browns, native brooks, molted sculpin, and shorthead redhorse (sucker). I'm sure I've caught a chub in there before too, but I'm not counting it. :lol: I've also caught stocked browns and brooks in lower levels of the stream. This covered about 4-5 miles of stream length of a larger stream. I know the lower sections of this stream also hold rock bass and possible small mouth of you go low enough, but I've never targeted them.

I would be interested to hear what experiences you guys have!

brook,brown,rainbow and grayling behind one rock on four successive casts-upper big hole in the hay meadows,on the Fourth of July...
Tie with another fishing memory as The best of 70 years of angling.

I've done the wild trifecta a couple times, and I've done the stockie trifecta I think twice.

I kinda got the wild slam out west, but not really........since it took more than one stream. Same day....not same stream.

My home river has a huge variety of fish. I can't remember what my record is for one day, but in total I've gotten stocked brown and rainbow trout, smallmouths, largemouths, white bass, hybrid stripers, rock bass, channel cats, a flathead, walleye, crappie, bluegills, perch, carp, redhorse suckers, quilbacks, pike, and a muskie. Not all on the fly though. Love places like that.......never know what you're gonna reel in!!!

I've caught brookies and browns on the same stream in the same day. I've also caught browns and bows on the same stream in one day. All in one stream, but never all 3 in 1 day. Maybe this is my year for that. If you include fall fish/creek chubs (I'm not sure which they are) that makes 4.

I've caught at least 8 different species last year on one warm water river but not all in the same day. There are at least 5 other species to catch there that I have never caught.

Some wild brown streams I know have a pretty good variety of other fish too. One that comes to mind also has smallmouth bass, redbreast sunfish, bluegills, fallfish and creek chubs. Have caught all of those on the fly in one day before.

I think warmwater streams in general have better variety. One time on the little creek near work I caught 5 different species of panfish in half an hour. Green & redbreast sunnies, bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and a black crappie. There are LMB and fallfish there as well but they didn't show that evening.

I've actually always wanted to see how many I can get on a fly in a day, running around to other streams with different kinds of fish. Think it would make for an interesting challenge

I fished a lower section of one of our better known trout fisheries last September for smallies. I started fishing at about 5 PM. I remember seeing at least 3 different bass flash at my fly on the first cast. I caught one of those smallies on my first cast and on the next three casts out of the same run I caught a rainbow (stocked), a Redbreast sunnie and a Fallfish (I have to count the Fallfish - he was pushing 16 inches). By dark I was totally exhausted. I decided to hang it up after my 99th Smallmouth bass of the evening simply because I was shot. As I was reeling in my popper to hang it up SMB #100 smashed the popper. Evenings like that don't happen very often but it will stick with me forever.

The Tulpehocken Creek, AKA the Tully. While not all in one day:

Walleye
Tiger Musky
A variety of sunfish
Suckers
Carp
Fallfish
Smallmouth Bass
Largemouth Bass
Brown Trout
Rainbow Trout
Rock Bass
Crappies

add Channel Catfish in the lower regions

dc410 wrote:
I fished a lower section of one of our better known trout fisheries last September for smallies. I started fishing at about 5 PM. I remember seeing at least 3 different bass flash at my fly on the first cast. I caught one of those smallies on my first cast and on the next three casts out of the same run I caught a rainbow (stocked), a Redbreast sunnie and a Fallfish (I have to count the Fallfish - he was pushing 16 inches). By dark I was totally exhausted. I decided to hang it up after my 99th Smallmouth bass of the evening simply because I was shot. As I was reeling in my popper to hang it up SMB #100 smashed the popper. Evenings like that don't happen very often but it will stick with me forever.

Although this was an extraordinary day. . .mid sized warm water rivers and the lower end of trout streams can really get you into a lot of different fishes, esp during the warmer months of the year.

Many times I've caught many of the following in a single day (not sure if I've got all of them in a single day, but I probably have): smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, rock bass, redbreast sunnies, bluegills and various other sunnies, stocked trout, channel cats, and fallfish.

Also common in our larger rivers but less common catches for me would be: carp, toothies (pike, pickerel, muskies), bullheads, perch, crappies, and walleyes

French Creek in NW PA supposedly has more than 80 species of fish.

All I caught was smallmouth bass, but that was OK.

Outsider wrote:

The Tulpehocken Creek, AKA the Tully. While not all in one day:

Walleye
Tiger Musky
A variety of sunfish
Suckers
Fallfish
Smallmouth Bass
Largemouth Bass
Brown Trout
Rainbow Trout
Rock Bass
Crappies
----------------
I've deleted catfish from his original list.
If you move the stream to the Delaware River above the water gap, you can add a few more species....

Brook trout
Tiger trout
Shad
Striper

A couple of years ago I caught the following during a single evening of flyfishing on a local limestoner. Brook,Brown, Rainbow and Golden Rainbow. I also caught a wild Tiger Trout on the same stream but not that evening. So I have caught five different kinds of trout from the same stream!

I guess I had what you can call a grand slam day on Dunbar Creek several years ago.
I caught brook, brown, and rainbows - along with 1 tiger trout - from that stream in one afternoon.
Then I moved over to the nearby Yough River for the evening. And caught a palomino trout there.
I should add that these were all stockies though

Localy the best day was,bows,browns,brookies,suckers,fall fish ,red eyes,carp, sunnys and my Wifes hat. All in a stream that hasn't been stocked in over 18 years, the PFGC should learn from this, keep hope alive!!!!!!!

I guess I can't compete with some of the answers.

One day on Penn's Creek, in the wilderness area, I caught a brook trout (wild), lots of brown trout (wild), and a rainbow which I am guessing migrated from a stocking point such as Poe Creek.

Anyway, it made for an interesting day. I have fished this several miles of Penn's Creek a lot and a rainbow is an unusual catch. Brookies are also fairly unusual, but a bit more common particularly when you are nearer to the tributaries or when the water is very high from rains.

In a very short time in one day at the mouth of a creek that empties into a reservoir I caught at least 1 each; brookie, brown, black crappy, blue gill, small, LMB, and pumpkinseed. And to top it off, there are also rainbows, pike, and muskies there, so I could have had 3 more species.
As for a triple play, it's hard to do, but I've done it several times on trout streams, all wild btw, and several times fishing warm water fish. I've had a few grand slams, bow, brown, brook, and golden bow.

Awesome responses guys, love hearing everyone elses stories. I would agree warm water and larger streams have a wider variety of fish species to catch. I think lake fishing I've caught 5 or 6 in a day before, but was not fly fishing back then. If I target the warm water areas of the stream I mentioned, then I could probably get my total up a bit.

Keep sharing!

I really hope I can get the trifecta some day, but I would prefer to target some wild bows instead of stocked.

Last year fishing a wild trout stream, I had the fortune to catch a wild brown, native brookie (from feeder streams), wild tiger and either a wild bow (sure looked like it) or a bow stocked as a fingerling.

Well I got the trifecta tonight, I wasn't planning on it, but after catching a bow and brown within 10 minutes of getting out on a class A, I knew I had to try. Took a quick pit stop on the way home to hit a unnamed blue line and go for some brookies. was just about dark and I couldn't even see my fly anymore and I finally hooked one. Landed him then turned around and went home. one bow was definitely holdover, but the other I'm not quite sure about. probably holdover, could have been a wild or a stocked from fingerling trout.

As far as stocked trout, have caught all three probably several times. I even did it in Connecticut once. No big deal. It's whatever is put in there.

Done it with wild trout once, just to say I could, but the brown I caught was sub legal size.

As far as species of fish in one day, my best was probably a remote stretch of the Clarion River between Cooksburg and Piney dam which will remain nameless. The access may be posted now anyway.

I've caught in that one stretch in a single Spring day... perch smallmouth, rock bass, 1 trout (can't remember the type), a bullhead catfish, a largemouth bass, and probably a bunch of chubs suckers, and various minnows. That is from memory though, so I can't guarantee the accuracy. I don't keep a journal. Unbelievable day of fishing. Fish were biting so good, we tried to see how many different species we could get by trying different types of water.

Also hooked a turtle, but couldn't land it. Was fishing for bait at the time in some murky back water using a tiny egg hook. Minimal flow in that warm backwater. More like a pond were fish were trapped.

Came back a half hour later with a large hook and minnow. Hooked a huge fish, but never saw what it was. In hind sight, it was probably just a carp.

Same day, a friend even caught a bowfin. The first one I had ever seen.

But we were not fly fishing.

Probably caught a few water snakes that day too, but not on a hook. Lots of snakes in that section.

Back