Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Value of C & R

From Upper Bucks
I have caught the same 23" bow numerous times over the past 3 years. I've probably lost her just as many. So far since trout season has opened, she has alluded me or has been taken.
This is a wild brownie stream and although I'd rather it wasn't stocked at all, I still enjoy catching the holdovers, especially this one.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 12:18

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'm sure I quite often catch the same fish over. I've mostly noticed it after looking closely at pictures. And since, at best, I take a picture on 1/4 fish I've caught, I'm sure it happens a lot more than I know.

Back in my baitfishing days, I had a similar experience in catching a fish that had been hooked, by my dad, the day before. It was on Oil Creek, and we fished the same place 2 days in a row. I tied my own minnow rigs and supplied his, single hook up front and single in the rear, fly hooks (hook eye bent forward, not back), and yellow thread. On day 1 he hooked a largish fish on said rig and broke it off. On day 2, same spot, I landed an 18 inch bow with one of my minnow rigs in it's mouth...

On a local brookie stream I also had repeated run-ins with a unique fish. He had only 3 red spots on one side, in a line. I fished the stream only once per year, and caught him from the same hole 3 years straight.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 16:13

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Here is "3-spot".

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/4/22 16:19

From Lansdale
Pcray names his catches, too. Nice. I call mine Missing.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 16:30

Quote:
The pectoral fin on both was stunted. Is this possibly a trait amongst a batch of stockies, rather than unique to the singular fish? It was very similar in size and shape.

djs, stockies tend to have stunted fins because they're raised in crowded hatcheries with concrete runways. The fins get rubbed down (and perhaps nibbled, or subjected to fin rot from fungus). It's a very common problem for many hatchery-raised fish (some are raised in more natural conditions like spring-fed ponds with less crowding, and they look healthier.)

Once in the wild, the fins often regenerate. Fish that have held over for a year or more are often well on the way to getting normal looking fins. Their color improves, too.

Posted on: 2013/4/22 16:50

From North East PA
Thanks, Barbless.

Looks like I have to study spot patterns or start tagging fish

Posted on: 2013/4/22 19:26

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Perkasie PA
I've caught the same stupid Palomino at least 3 times in the last year and a half in the fly stretch on the LL. Once on an egg, once on a streamer, and once on a trico. There's probably about 5 others on here that have caught him too.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 8:58

From Cato, NY
Quote:

djs12354 wrote:
Fishing on one of our favorite spots today with my Brother and Dan (Moonbeam) when I hit the bow in the picture titled He's Baaack.

I thought it might be the same fish I caught last Saturday, but after looking at photos, it was not. It is, however, the same fish I caught back on March 15th!

To think I have friends who ask why i put the fish back after catching them.

Not the same fish but you point is very well taken. Just look at the fins.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 11:43

From Harrisburg
Dj, Yours is an easy one to differentiate. The top trout has one spot on his mandable, the bottom has multiple.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 12:11

[quote]
dubthethorax wrote:
I've caught the same stupid Palomino at least 3 times in the last year and a half in the fly stretch on the LL. Once on an egg, once on a streamer, and once on a trico. There's probably about 5 others on here that have caught him too.[/quote

I know that "banana" fish,but I think he's gone now,don't see him there anymore.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 14:40

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com