Valley Creek Regulations

W

Wmass

I was fishing Valley Creek today in the park and I saw three people fishing with bait. I thought the regulations for the park were artificial lure only?

Wmass - I believe natural bait is allowed, but no artifical bait. There used to be signs, but they are prolly all faded away or gone. I think it used to be on their website as well...PFBC does make note of it on their regs page for VC though. Maybe a call to VFNHP is in order to see if they even know what the deal is.

Thanks for the info VCREG. I know for a fact that one guy was using power-bait, but the other two were using worms. I will look into this so next time I can make them aware.

You are allowed to use bait in the park, it's that the bait can not come from the creek. ie baby trout, crayfish, etc

This is from the NPS's site:

Use of some types of bait (e.g. worms) is permitted in the park, however use of live or dead
minnows or other bait fish, amphibians, non-preserved fish eggs and fish roe is prohibited.
Chumming or use of preserved or fresh fish eggs, fish roe, food, fish parts, chemicals, or other
foreign substances for the purpose of feeding or attracting fish also is prohibited.

This is obvious, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that this area is catch-and-release.

Back