Upper Delaware River

W

wozz

I'd really like to give the upper Delaware a try in October for trout. From what I've seen alot of people wade (although there seems to be limited access) and many more use a drift boat.

Rather than rent a drift boat I have a flat bottom boat with a jet pump so shallow water isn't usually a problem for me. I'm pretty comfortable in about 1.5 - 2' of water when putting around.

I'm familiar with the Water Gap area, mostly Dingman's and Smithfield Beach. Haven't made it to Milford yet but would like to before the end of the season.

I'm hearing that the fishing is best above Callicoon or Hancock? What about the Lordville NY area? Will I be able to get around in my rig or am I better either wading or possibly renting a drift boat?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Might want to take a look above at the D Jam thread. Good luck.

WOZZ wrote: “I'd really like to give the upper Delaware a try in October for trout. From what I've seen alot of people wade (although there seems to be limited access) and many more use a drift boat.

Rather than rent a drift boat I have a flat bottom boat with a jet pump so shallow water isn't usually a problem for me. I'm pretty comfortable in about 1.5 - 2' of water when putting around.

I'm familiar with the Water Gap area, mostly Dingman's and Smithfield Beach. Haven't made it to Milford yet but would like to before the end of the season.

I'm hearing that the fishing is best above Callicoon or Hancock? What about the Lordville NY area? Will I be able to get around in my rig or am I better either wading or possibly renting a drift boat?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.”

WOZZ,

The Delaware River is really low right now and I wouldn’t suggest you trying to fish in a boat at all. The flow is managed (mismanaged) under new release plan (FFMP), and I don’t hold any hope that much more water will be released through the fall.

As far as what section to fish, the Main stem runs from the junction of the east and west branch just below Hancock. The west branch is all the water above the junction to the Cannonsville Dam. The main stem is good trout water down to Callicoon, although I’ve caught some nice trout below in Damascus and Narrowsburg. The main stem is bigger water and fishes well in the spring, when the temps are lower. The main stem warms in the summer and some of the trout migrate upstream to the cooler water, and also some find thermal refuge in the tributaries.

You mentioned Lordville, it is between Hancock and Callicoon and is a fine fishing area in the spring and early summer. I don’t know if the main stem will be productive because of the temps. right now. Most trout fisherman choose to fish the west branch since the water is cooler because it closer to the dam that releases cold water. If you chose to fish the main stem, I would fish in the upper sections above Lordville. Check the flow and temps – that’s the most important thing when deciding where, when and if to fish the D. (see links)

You can fish the west branch up to the PA border through the fall (C&R). PA water ends just above the upper game land parking lot. Above that is NY State and is no-kill water, and is closed as of October 1st I believe.

A few board members and I are planning a weekend camping trip to the D in two weeks (Sept 27th – 29th). You are welcome to join us. Also, a great book that tells all (or most) about fishing the upper D is the “Fly-fishing Guide to Upper Delaware River” by Paul Weamer.

Here are some links that may be helpful:

NY streamflow from USGS. Go to “Delaware River Basin” and check: WB Stilesville, WB Hale Eddy, Lordville and Callicoon:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/current/?type=flow&group_key=basin_cd

Check up-to-date fishing reports:
http://www.catskillflies.com/stream.html

Good luck.

If you need to draw 1.5-2' - - you wont be able to move anywhere on the D. It is more like 1.5-2" at the tails, and heads of each pool right now.

Afishinado has left a ton of great info. My suggestion is scope it out for next season. Drive around, and get a feel for it.

wozz - feel free to join us in two weeks for the trip. The campground we'll be staying at is just below Lordville on the PA side. We'll have to drive north a little bit for trout. VCRegular is right - the flow is too low right now for boats, but you can spend some time exploring.

Back