Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 15 »

Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

From lancaster county
Private land, open to the public,

all im going to say about where.

Frank,

I think your confusing accomplishment with a neat story about 2 friends meeting by chance and getting out on the water together and having success. Knowing Squaretail personally, I can tell you he would rather they be large wild trout. I think anyone of us would but that wasn't what was important here. Neither one of these guys care to establish themselves like GH and neither one of them probably care to hear grumpy old men whine about trivial things.

Not everything is about reputation, "accomplishments" or numbers. To continue yours, click your clicker.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 9:07

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

FrankTroutAngler wrote:
To me this looks like about as much of an accomplishment as catching trout in a hatchery.

Hey, don't knock it until you try it.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 9:11

From Pine Grove
Frank,
That might have been the meanest things, most petty things I've read in a while. Shouldn't you be out counting up your fame and logging it in your little journal, sir? I've never met you, but if you were half the man Dan is, which by the tone of this post I'd guess you aren't, you'd never post such a jerkish thing about one of the nicest guys on here. I've had the pleasure of fishing with Dan a couple times and I'm pretty sure he could catch trout like that in an open sewer. Yeah, we get it. You catch a lot of fish. Awesome. Thanks for your contribution.

Boyer

Posted on: 2011/6/29 9:24

From Monessen, PA
Sounds like a nice day out. Albie always seems to find those big fish when I'm not around. Dan takes me to rattlesnake infested waters to catch 9 inch browns and he takes Alby to his secret honey-hole. Next time I'm in the 'burg, I'll buy lunch-- that might be my problem, all I ever bring is beer and that only attracts Maurice or Murph.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 10:03

From Room 109
Quote:

FrankTroutAngler wrote:
I'd be impressed if these large trout were wild trout caught in a stream open to free public angling. These trout look like someone's pellet-fed pet stockies, probably caught in private water in front of someone's house. To me this looks like about as much of an accomplishment as catching trout in a hatchery. I'm amazed that some of you actually think this is an accomplishment.

Hey Frank enjoy it for what it is -

Posted on: 2011/6/29 11:05

From Monessen, PA
Dear FrankTheTroutAngler:

I see the OP and comments as celebrating having a good time by catching fish. To some people, size and weight and numbers matter. For some it is all the time, for others, just depending upon the circumstances. Have you ever caught a brown trout on a fly in the size and weight of what has been shown here, whether wild or stocked? I said "on a fly." If not, you cannot share the feeling that may have accompanied catches such as this. This is, perhaps, why your comments on PAFF sometimes stir up hornets' nests.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 12:36

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Frank, FWIW, I agree with you regarding the "accomplishment" aspect with stocked fish, but I did not get the impression these guys were talking it up as some huge accomplishment and that catching these fish proved they were great fishermen or anything like that. Rather, it looked to me like they were celebrating a chance meeting and what turned into an unexpectedly fun day, and personally, I enjoyed the story for what it was.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 12:59

That's funny. I saw it as a bunch of people kissing Dan's butt.

If I were him, I'd be embarrassed about now.

I never fished with Dan, but he is a heck of a nice guy. He didn't even know me and yet he offered me a place to stay in the event that I made it to the 2010 jam (it was a last minute decision). And I did make it.

But I couldn't sleep because of all the bright street lights outside of that cabin.

(last sentence was a joke)

My impression of Dan is that he is very quiet and doesn’t fish for some kind of accomplishment or recognition. He fishes because he enjoys it.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 13:03

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Frank, FWIW, I agree with you regarding the "accomplishment" aspect with stocked fish, but I did not get the impression these guys were talking it up as some huge accomplishment and that catching these fish proved they were great fishermen or anything like that. Rather, it looked to me like they were celebrating a chance meeting and what turned into an unexpectedly fun day, and personally, I enjoyed the story for what it was.

Hi pcray1231,

Thanks for agreeing with me on the "accomplishment" thing in regard to stocked fish.

As for the rest of what you wrote, please keep in mind what albatross wrote: "We drove to an undisclosed location on another stream where Dan put on a clinic in catching big trout on dry flies." Albatross sure seemed to be impressed.

My point is that these trout were likely a bunch of pellet-fed pet trout that probably would have taken strike indicators if they were the same color as dog food. Even a novice could probably have caught these trout. I would have been more impressed if they had been catching 6" native brookies on a tight mountain stream. That would have taken more skill, in my opinion.

By the way, I enjoyed their story, too. The comments were an eye-opener, too. I foresee lots of business for people like Donny Beaver.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 14:04

From lancaster county
well the trout in question again are not on closed land. The people of this forum hate everything Donny Beaver stands for in regards to trout fishing. So your last comment has absolutely no merit. The fish in question are tougher than you think. Aside from limestone spring creeks and a few very fertile freestoners, my experience has been that holdover stocked trout are far harder to catch than wild trout.

You make a lot of baseless assumptions. At the rate your going, you'll make 300,000 before you catch 300,000 trout.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 14:19

From Room 109
Which Story is better ?

Alby and Dan's or this one

Posted on: 2011/6/29 14:38

From Monessen, PA
Nary a picture. Business must be slow. Nothing like a little free publicity. I'm a lawyer. Had a good day yesterday-- 17 acquittals in less than 3 hours.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 14:46

Edited by JackM on 2011/6/29 15:11:06

Definitely Dan''s and Albis "story" is more enjoyable. I didn't make it past the part about Honey Nut Cheerios and Kool-aid? Do some adults really consume that stuff? Nothing against Cheerios, especially multigrain, but Honey Nut? It’s ungodly sweet. I thought they only made that to get kids to eat it. You might as well eat Fruit Loops. You can tell by this response that my 10 year old niece was recently visiting the farm for two weeks. I'm half afraid to feed the leftover cereal to the chickens, especially the Fruit Loops. They already give me colored eggs. The Honey Nut I might give to the cattle though. I’d give the Fruit loops to them, but somebody might question the funny colors scattered all over the pasture.

If I want nuts and honey, I'll add it. and don't get me started on Kool-Aid. Let me guess. You get it in those little drink boxes.

All (at least most) joking aside. Frank, your story would be a whole lot more enjoyable if you hadn't first expressed the reason for posting it thus setting a very bad tone. Talk about your basic chest pounding. Someone posted that they caught 60K... “Huh! I did 200K” (paraphrasing).

It’s fishing, Frank.

And note that Dan didn’t start the thread, and Albi only talked about Dan’s catch. Neither were bragging.

The story also showed why there aren’t very many accountant novelists.

P.S. I actually agree with Frank about stocked trout though and felt it goes without saying. My first thought was it had to be a hatchery hog because of how fat. I never seen a wild stream trout that fat. But I’m not a brown trout or even a carp expert. Stocked trout aren’t my preference either unless I am looking for a meal, but they are still fun to catch. If I caught that brown trout, you bet I would be happy. But if it were a golden rainbow freak, I wouldn’t tell anyone.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 15:26

From Monessen, PA
Dave, surely you have fished stocked waters and enjoyed yourself. Surely you have caught large stocked trout on a fly. Enuff said to justify the entire thread before it turned evil.

Posted on: 2011/6/29 15:32

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
As for the rest of what you wrote, please keep in mind what albatross wrote: "We drove to an undisclosed location on another stream where Dan put on a clinic in catching big trout on dry flies." Albatross sure seemed to be impressed.

An accomplishment, in this sense, means obtaining some sort of trophy, i.e. considering the big fish as proof of one's skill level. As I said, in that sense, I agree with you, regardless of size, a stocked fish doesn't equal a wild fish. Stockies can be a heck of a lot of fun and I admit to enjoying them, and I enjoy big fish too. But what I most enjoy and what I'm most proud of aren't always the same. I'd be more proud of wild trout than a stockie regardless of size difference.

However, a huge accomplishment isn't necessary to show that you are "accomplished." Albatross may have been very legitimately impressed with Squaretail's skills.

For instance, I'm not terrible with a spinner. But I'm sure you could teach me a few things. And I'm sure thats true whether or not you did so on a wild trout stream or in a stream totally devoid of fish, could probably do it even on land or in a swimming pool. It's not the catching I'd learn from, it's the techniques. And I might even describe the encounter on a public message board, out of politeness to you, as a "clinic."

Posted on: 2011/6/29 15:44

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com