Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 15 »


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/6/19 21:49
From Lancaster County
Posts: 1511
Offline
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Frank, you can't expect to poop in the middle of a thread and not have some flung back at you.

IMHO, both Dan and Albie are excellent FFers AND sportsmen. Your post was ridiculous. Nuff said there.


Just curious - what about Frank's post indicated he wasn't a sportsman as well? It was a bit of taking a dump in the middle of the thread, but I wonder if Frank was not a spinnerfisherman, if there would be such angst over it. Is it possible that Dan and Albie are both excellent FFers and sportsmen and Frank is an excellent spinfisherman and sportsman as well? What if he caught 200,000 trout on the fly? Would he be revered or reviled?

Quote:

My turn to fling. Back in the day, before I started FFing exclusively, I fished hardware with an UL spinning rod in small wild trout streams. I found it VERY productive (aka kinda easy) and VERY boring, so I put down my spinning rod and began to focus on fly fishing for more of a challenge. Each to his own, though.

I have nothing against you or your way of fishing, but, if the truth be known, given a choice of fishing with Albie, Dan, Lucy, and Chickie or fishing with you.............. I'd choose the former.



Both fly fishing and spin fishing can be challenging, although I would argue that spin fishing is the single most productive and effective way to catch numbers. Given a two mile stretch of productive stream and a fixed amount of time, I can virtually assure you that I will catch more fish on spinners than I will on a fly. Although I've only gotten about 70% of the way there, 100 fish days are not at all unfeasible with spinners (perhaps jealousy is what is causing all the bile and disbelief?). I can cover more water quicker with spinners than I can with flies, and if I want numbers, that would be the way I can go. I'm not sure where the arbitrary need for one way to be "better" or "purer" than the other has come into fishing for trout, though. I've caught a 21" wild brown on a 3wt in NC PA already - special trout. I've caught a 22" wild brown on a spinner in NW PA - also a special trout. Both trout have created lasting, special memories for me. If we had equal or greater concern and energies for protecting access and the cold water resources, as we do about flinging mud or manure at the respective types of lures others have on the ends of our lines, we might have more streams accessible, and better habitat for trout, which benefits all fisherpeople. I guess I like to catch trout, first and foremost. How I entice them is secondary..

Posted on: 2011/6/30 20:45


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 9:29
From Monessen, PA
Posts: 22213
Offline
Just for myself, I would say I find the alleged 100 fish day to be pure BS and will NEVER accept it as reality until I witness it myself. Of course, this attitude is to be expected from a piss-poor angler like myself. If I had half the prowess some claim for themselves, I'd be twice more likely to believe the stories I sometimes here about 100 fish days.

Posted on: 2011/6/30 23:50
_________________
I don't like scrambled eggs, and I'm glad I don't, because if I liked them, I'd eat them, and I just hate them. --Hank


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2010/8/9 16:23
Posts: 3364
Offline
Quote:

FrankTroutAngler wrote:
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Frank, FWIW, I agree with you regarding the "accomplishment" aspect with stocked fish, but I did not get the impression these guys were talking it up as some huge accomplishment and that catching these fish proved they were great fishermen or anything like that. Rather, it looked to me like they were celebrating a chance meeting and what turned into an unexpectedly fun day, and personally, I enjoyed the story for what it was.


Hi pcray1231,

Thanks for agreeing with me on the "accomplishment" thing in regard to stocked fish.

As for the rest of what you wrote, please keep in mind what albatross wrote: "We drove to an undisclosed location on another stream where Dan put on a clinic in catching big trout on dry flies." Albatross sure seemed to be impressed.

My point is that these trout were likely a bunch of pellet-fed pet trout that probably would have taken strike indicators if they were the same color as dog food. Even a novice could probably have caught these trout. I would have been more impressed if they had been catching 6" native brookies on a tight mountain stream. That would have taken more skill, in my opinion.

By the way, I enjoyed their story, too. The comments were an eye-opener, too. I foresee lots of business for people like Donny Beaver.





OMG dood, it's #OOPS# fishing. Get over yourself. I hope I'm not as sour and awful as you are when I'm as old as you are.

Man you like to toot your own horn too. Well I bow to you sir. Aaron Jasper is no trout predator, you are! You make Aaron soil his distorted britches with the prowess of your rod. I'm so not worthy.


Oh ya, please spam away. FrankTroutAngler@aol.com

Posted on: 2011/7/1 0:24


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11285
Offline

Euro-Spinning Techniques of the Competition Scene DVD in the works? Prodfessional quality, amiright?

Posted on: 2011/7/1 5:31
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/7/2 19:40
Posts: 15135
Offline
I was an avid trout fly fisherman for 40 years-
keeping it simple-I would guess I averaged 2 days a week.
That would be 4,000 days on the water.
An honest guess would be somewhere around 10 fish of legal size caught and released per day maximum.Some good days up to thirty and a few days more,but there were a fair number of skunkings.
Thirty of those years were spent right in the heart of Montana's blue ribbon waters.
So that would come to right around 40,000

Some one claims to have caught five times as many-wow
I am impressed-[not]lol

Posted on: 2011/7/1 7:14
_________________
Obstrification> The fine art of confusing liberals.


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/11 8:26
From Chester County
Posts: 8911
Offline
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Frank, you can't expect to poop in the middle of a thread and not have some flung back at you.

IMHO, both Dan and Albie are excellent FFers AND sportsmen. Your post was ridiculous. Nuff said there.


Just curious - what about Frank's post indicated he wasn't a sportsman as well? It was a bit of taking a dump in the middle of the thread, but I wonder if Frank was not a spinnerfisherman, if there would be such angst over it. Is it possible that Dan and Albie are both excellent FFers and sportsmen and Frank is an excellent spinfisherman and sportsman as well? What if he caught 200,000 trout on the fly? Would he be revered or reviled?

Quote:

My turn to fling. Back in the day, before I started FFing exclusively, I fished hardware with an UL spinning rod in small wild trout streams. I found it VERY productive (aka kinda easy) and VERY boring, so I put down my spinning rod and began to focus on fly fishing for more of a challenge. Each to his own, though.

I have nothing against you or your way of fishing, but, if the truth be known, given a choice of fishing with Albie, Dan, Lucy, and Chickie or fishing with you.............. I'd choose the former.



Both fly fishing and spin fishing can be challenging, although I would argue that spin fishing is the single most productive and effective way to catch numbers. Given a two mile stretch of productive stream and a fixed amount of time, I can virtually assure you that I will catch more fish on spinners than I will on a fly. Although I've only gotten about 70% of the way there, 100 fish days are not at all unfeasible with spinners (perhaps jealousy is what is causing all the bile and disbelief?). I can cover more water quicker with spinners than I can with flies, and if I want numbers, that would be the way I can go. I'm not sure where the arbitrary need for one way to be "better" or "purer" than the other has come into fishing for trout, though. I've caught a 21" wild brown on a 3wt in NC PA already - special trout. I've caught a 22" wild brown on a spinner in NW PA - also a special trout. Both trout have created lasting, special memories for me. If we had equal or greater concern and energies for protecting access and the cold water resources, as we do about flinging mud or manure at the respective types of lures others have on the ends of our lines, we might have more streams accessible, and better habitat for trout, which benefits all fisherpeople. I guess I like to catch trout, first and foremost. How I entice them is secondary..





Again, as written in my quote above, "I have nothing against you or your way of fishing (spin fishing)." I have spin fished for years before I FFed exclusively. I'm just stating MY personal preference. I fish for my own enjoyment and find FFing a great challenge.....it's all about ME!....lol. Further, I care little about proving anything to anybody. I seldom count, measure, take pics, or post reports on my catch. I measure my success the amount of enjoyment I have on my day out rather than numbers of fish or inches or pounds. I FF because I enjoy it.

Here's where the irony comes in, at least for me. Frank The Trout Slayer pops up in the middle of a thread about two members sharing a great evening of fishing together, and accuses them of trying to build up a reputation of being trout slayers! Talk about the trout calling the skillet black!

Quote:

Frank wrote:
(the) trout were likely a bunch of pellet-fed pet trout that probably would have taken strike indicators if they were the same color as dog food. Even a novice could probably have caught these trout....I foresee lots of business for people like Donny Beaver.


Total POOP! (IMHO) These guys (and dogs) have posted on here for years and have fished all over and for all types of fish. In the thread, they were sharing a story about a chance meeting and some fishing. No need for Frank to interject such venom.

As you wrote, Frank may be an "excellent spin fisherman" (he certainly has the scorecard to prove it), but he would not be high on my list for being a fishing buddy of mine...and that's not because he carries a spinning rod! Again, it's all about me....

Posted on: 2011/7/1 7:25


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2006/9/9 22:43
From Delaware Co.
Posts: 3437
Offline
Its always about you isn't it Tom

This thread makes me yawn

Posted on: 2011/7/1 7:42
_________________
There is no disadvantage in being able to cast far"
- Lefty Kreh -


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2009/10/15 13:45
From Eastern PA
Posts: 10281
Offline
Quote:

gfen wrote:

Euro-Spinning Techniques of the Competition Scene DVD in the works? Prodfessional quality, amiright?


Form TroutSlayer Productions
Film Epic Frank Footage
Market/Brand /Sell
????
Profit

Posted on: 2011/7/1 7:58


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/7/24 21:12
From Ephrata,PA
Posts: 514
Offline
And NO, Dan is NOT missing a nut, just an old inside joke amongst cousins!

Posted on: 2011/7/1 9:10
_________________
Don't poo into the current.


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 9:29
From Monessen, PA
Posts: 22213
Offline
Thanks for the information. Many have wondered if Dan was intact.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 9:20
_________________
I don't like scrambled eggs, and I'm glad I don't, because if I liked them, I'd eat them, and I just hate them. --Hank


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/10/17 10:49
From florida
Posts: 6317
Offline
Amazing how quiet Frank has been? LMAO

Posted on: 2011/7/1 9:35
_________________
"There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
Gothe


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/7/2 19:40
Posts: 15135
Offline
See if we can get a response.
I have noticed over the years the size of fish in a given stream tends to be pyramidal.
Example-for every ten pound trout caught on the Letort there will be 1,000 weighed in ounces.
Therefor logic would seem to say the only way to have multiple 100 fish days would be to target the fish at the bottom of the pyramid.
Therefor while that may seem like a worthwhile pursuit for rookies and teenagers it hardly seems worth mentioning for public consumption.IMHO

Posted on: 2011/7/1 9:50
_________________
Obstrification> The fine art of confusing liberals.


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2006/11/20 10:08
Posts: 1204
Offline
Perhaps Frank is quiet because of all the personal invective that he has endured, or, perhaps, if he is not working, he is out fishing. If you have ever met him, you know that he is a fine, hard-working man, and his fish counting is an extension of his interest in statistics. Shame on those of you who really low-lifed him: I am surprised that the board monitors did not remove some of your posts. And, as I have suggested at other times, if Frank ever took up fly-fishing, he'd probably double his numbers!

Posted on: 2011/7/1 9:58


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2010/8/9 16:23
Posts: 3364
Offline
Quote:

rrt wrote:
Perhaps Frank is quiet because of all the personal invective that he has endured, or, perhaps, if he is not working, he is out fishing. If you have ever met him, you know that he is a fine, hard-working man, and his fish counting is an extension of his interest in statistics. Shame on those of you who really low-lifed him: I am surprised that the board monitors did not remove some of your posts. And, as I have suggested at other times, if Frank ever took up fly-fishing, he'd probably double his numbers!


What did you expect? Dude walks into the thread and pours spoiled milk into the punch. Being a hard working, god loving/fearing, gentle, other admirable qualities, doesn't give him a hall pass to be an ass.

I'm sure in his quest for 200,000 he's picked up a few stocked fish. The fact that he's kept track all these years is disturbing, and maybe even pathetic. Fishing isn't about a numbers game, or landing big fish, or landing fish at all. It's about being out on the water, alone or with friends, making memories transcend time. I could care less about having a hundred fish hour, or a 1000 fish season. His post/articles read like a bravado laden keystrokes of a man who thinks his manliness is at the end of a rod.

I tell fish stories too, don't get me wrong, but they never reek of self importance. All my memories of fishing are not of the fish, or for some quest to catch fish, but of the totality of the experience itself. The way the river changed, the smell of the air, the bottle of Gink I found floating down stream, the friends made on the river, the bread split at the end of the day, and lastly the overall human connection to nature achieved. For when I'm 90, I won't care about the beast I landed on the Upper Delaware on 6x, I'll remember the nice guy that gave me tips on fishing streamers, the lapping sound as drift boats passed behind me, and the little girl playing with her parents in her yard on the opposite bank.

Oh ya, if he loves statistics, get into Baseball. Much more information available and less of a chance to look like a sour old man.

Posted on: 2011/7/1 10:22


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/7/2 19:40
Posts: 15135
Offline
100 200 fish days-wow lol

Posted on: 2011/7/1 10:23
_________________
Obstrification> The fine art of confusing liberals.



« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 15 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com