Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

From Bozeman
I tend to attribute more malice, and more blame, to he who cast the first spinn... er, stone.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 12:21

From Ephrata, PA
Just a question, as a noob on this board. Is status and all that really important to a lot of folks? I fish 'cause I love it. I was raised on it. I want to raise my kids to love it. Wild trout, private land, public land, accomplishment, fame, status, if this is what fly fishermen really care about, I'm pretty discouraged. To me, the original story is what fishing is about. I don't understand this whole "status" BS. I was very discouraged to see Frank's original post and the following responses.

Maybe I'm naive.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 12:32

From Delaware River
Thank you Sasquatch!

Posted on: 2011/7/7 12:39

From Ephrata, PA
And I can tell you, I never caught a fish that big in my life; at least a trout that big. That probably keeps me from posting D-Bag type comments. A good fish and a good time is a good fish and a good time.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 12:48

From Monessen, PA
I'm with Jay. This is a community. If you step in and take dump in the middle of the public thoroughfare, please don't get angry if people get mad about it, and don't try to shift the blame to people who responded to a troll. People who respond are reacting to something already in existence, where people who instigate are creating something that did not exist. Which one has the greater ability to think twice?

And let me just be perfectly frank:

Frank is welcome on this site like everyone else, but if his purpose is to harrass or some other inappropriate purpose, then we need not continue to sweep off the welcome mat. At some point, you got to sweep the whole room AND dust the broom you used to sweep it with.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 12:49

From Bozeman
And I agree that it's best to ignore Frank. He's directed very aggressive posts to me over the past few months, and I felt no need to respond.

From all I can gather about him, the guy's a flat out scumbag, and a coward that chooses to take these pot shots exclusively online. I'd be willing to bet that he never attends a jamboree to clear his name.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 13:14

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

JackM wrote:
As I alluded to, I think, I suspect he has a small cadre of fans that he shares this stuff with privately, no doubt exchanging guffaws amongst eachother with each new post.

LOL! Can you blame him?

Posted on: 2011/7/7 13:16

Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Just a question, as a noob on this board. Is status and all that really important to a lot of folks?

What do you mean by a lot?

Quote:
I fish 'cause I love it. I was raised on it. I want to raise my kids to love it.

I hope you don't mind, but I had already jumped to that conclusion. Sasquatches never worry about appearance.

Quote:
Wild trout, private land, public land, accomplishment, fame, status, if this is what fly fishermen really care about, I'm pretty discouraged.

I blame it on that Damn movie.

Quote:
To me, the original story is what fishing is about. I don't understand this whole "status" BS. I was very discouraged to see Frank's original post and the following responses.

Maybe I'm naive.

Naaa. It takes all types. No matter what you do, there will always be the elitist attitude. What you saw here was elitist attitude from both sides. As I think it was Padraic pointed it out once. The reverse snobbery is just as bad. I think that was right after I implied he was a snob, but they were wise words.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 13:27

Quote:

jayL wrote:
And I agree that it's best to ignore Frank. He's directed very aggressive posts to me over the past few months, and I felt no need to respond.

From all I can gather about him, the guy's a flat out scumbag, and a coward that chooses to take these pot shots exclusively online. I'd be willing to bet that he never attends a jamboree to clear his name.

Why not, I did.

But I have to comment on this response.

First paragraph: Best to ignore.
Second paragraph: Scumbag coward.

I'm thinking the second takes something away from the first.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 13:31

From Clearfield
This thread is like a train wreck.... I can't stop watching it no matter how bad I want to.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 16:15

From Jonestown, PA
Some thoughts:

It sure does. Regardless, I have to agree with what Jack/Jay are saying though. There's no need to come on here and add a post like Frank did right in the middle of everything. If you're going to do that then expect some backlash.

Rrt: No matter what this Frank guy has done for conservancy, you don't come in here and stir up trouble just because you don't agree with someones fishing style like people have noted the way this Frank guy has an outlook on flyfishing.

Grade A douchebaggery in my eyes. And quite honestly I think he deserves what was said towards him.

Treble hooks are a death sentence regardless of debarbing them.
When I was a kid my father would take me spin-fishing and we lost a lot of fish because of treble hooks.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 16:28

I thought I’d take a few minutes this evening to share some of my thoughts.

1) In post #156 Jack Manderino wrote: “It is funny and disturbing how anyone is taken in by Frank Nale’s horsepucky, from his 100 trout days, 700 trout weeks, 2800 trout months and whatever else he claims for himself.”

My reply: I’d like to remind JackM and everyone else who has read this thread that not once have I mentioned how many trout I’ve caught or any other statistic in this thread. I think that is an important point worth making.

2) Embedded in a paragraph about fishing with spinners in post #133 I wrote: “I do not recommend (spelling fixed) single-point hooks for catch-and-release trout fishing with spinners.”

In post #134, after quoting this sentence without including the words “with spinners” Jack Manderino wrote, “Now, back to those endorsement offers.” He also included a photograph of a Royal Coachman fly with a treble hook attached.

In post #156 Jack Manderino wrote, “He obviously edited his post to add ‘with spinners’ after I quoted it, as can be seen by the quote that appears in my post immediately following.”

My reply: I was in a hurry when I posted this, so I don’t claim to remember the exact sequence of events, but as I recall I added “with spinners” to the sentence while I was in the Preview mode prior to actually officially posting it. I added it because when I re-read what I wrote I realized there would probably be some ******* who would take that sentence out of context and use it to try to belittle me. In reality, even without “with spinners” added at the end of the sentence the meaning of the sentence is clear when embedded in the paragraph it was written in. Using his moderator magic, could Jack Manderino have pulled what I wrote out of the Preview mode before I officially posted it? I don’t know. What I do know is that if you look at the lower right hand corner of my post #133, it does not say “Edited by FrankTroutAngler on …” So, how could I have edited it and added “with spinners” without the program showing that I edited the post? If you look at my post #149 you’ll see what the program says when I edit a post, which I did with post #149. This just might tell you something, no?

Also, Jack Manderino claims that I had to have added “with spinners” after his post was done because it can be seen in “the quote that appears in my post immediately following.” Had I been eating breakfast when I read this I no doubt would have blown a Honey Nut Cheerio out of my nose. This is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who has ever used the “Quote” feature on this website. You can delete anything you want to delete in anyone’s quote, and Jack Manderino certainly knows that.

Regardless of what happened or whom you want to believe, JackM’s post #134 was clearly an attempt to belittle me by taking one sentence completely out of context. And he calls me a troll? Huh?

By the way, I’d be willing to swear on the Bible that I didn’t see or read Jack Manderino’s post #134 before I officially posted my post #133 in its current form (which I have a paper copy of).

3) In post #135 I wrote, “Squaretail: I commend you for going against peer pressure and writing this. And unlike JackManderino and almost everyone else, you definitely ‘get it.’ Thank you.”

In post #143 Jack Manderino wrote, “I thought ‘almost all’ meant at least 99.9% concurrence and my 1 in 60 expressed barely 99.1%. Yours, on the other hand (5/60), was a mere 90.1% concurrence, which does not fit the ‘almost all’ criterion.”

“Someone said Frank was a statistician or accountant or something. He should be more careful with quantitative expressions.”

In my post #147 I wrote, “Jack Manderino: You should be more careful when you quote me. I never said ‘almost all.’” But hey, you’re good at making up stuff about me and then tearing me down for it. I guess that’s what some attorneys do.”

In post #156 Jack Manderion wrote, “In addition, here is what he said that he now claims ‘not I’ about:”

“And unlike JackManderino and almost everyone else….”

“So, I stand corrected. Rather than ‘almost all’ he said ‘almost everyone else.’ And he denigrates me for acting like a lawyer?”

“Please guys, he’s a troll.” …

My reply: You were making fun of me for something I never wrote. Turns out you didn’t know what you were talking about. I was right for correcting you, and my correction was certainly not a reason to call me a troll. If anyone was a troll in this instance, it sure wasn’t me.

4) In post #201 jayL wrote, “From all I can gather about him, the guy’s a flat out scumbag, and a coward that chooses to take these pot shots exclusively online.”

My reply: Back in August 2010, in a thread entitled “Re: To count or not to count- that is the question” you wrote, “Re: Frank. He’s a touch too arrogant for my tastes, and that’s sayin’ something. He seems to incorrectly think his inflated self-image gives him basis for authority in making claims.”

If I recall correctly, a few months ago you were the one who wrote on here about how you thought there was more food in trout streams for the trout during the winter than any other time of the year.

I just want to say that I now fully understand why you would write, “He seems to incorrectly think his inflated self-image gives him basis for authority in making claims.” It helps to know where a guy is coming from.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 21:06

From SEPA

Dear Frank Nale,

I speak for the greater bulk of the entire forum when I say:
tl;dr

Yours truly,
Gary S. Fenstermacher.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 0:31

From Harrisburg
Lunker of a fish.

Edit: Tired of reading this dudes name on numerous forums and threads and the attacks that come with it. Bring something positive to the table for once my man.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 1:40

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:

Dear Frank Nale,

I speak for the greater bulk of the entire forum when I say:
tl;dr

Yours truly,
Gary S. Fenstermacher.

I read it all after skimming it and seeing my name several times. I'm very vain.

Posted on: 2011/7/8 7:55

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com