Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS


Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users



« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 »


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/1/2 11:55
From Bozeman
Posts: 19931
Offline
I fished niti-1 trout killers exclusively for a long time. They are trout killers, both figuratively and literally. I'd often catch dozens, and occasionally frank nale numbers.

I lost count of the injured fish, a good number of which were probably mortally hurt. Pinching the barbs helped a lot, but I was still shredding a few mandibles.

I also snatched my fair share of eyeballs on quick releases. They never looked too good after that, no pun intended.

It's my opinion that frank's hurting our fisheries more than he could ever be helping them, especially if his numbers are even remotely accurate.

It's also my opinion that he's a wart on this site, but that's not my call.

Posted on: 2011/7/6 20:59


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2006/11/2 8:50
Posts: 6350
Offline
Quote:

JackM wrote:
It is funny and disturbing how anyone is taken in by Frank Nale's horsepucky, from his 100 trout days, 700 trout weeks, 2800 trout months and whatever else he claims for himself. But worse and more disturbing is how people on the message board are deceived by his extreme craftiness in trolling for jollies and publicity.

He obviously edited his post to add "with spinners" after I quoted it, as can be seen by the quote that appears in my post immediately following. In addition, here is what he said that he now claims "not I" about:

"And unlike JackManderino and almost everyone else...."

So, I stand corrected. Rather than "almost all" he said "almost everyone else." And he denigrates me for acting like a lawyer?

Please guys, he's a troll. I have his original troll broken down word for word to show how crafty, really sleazy, he can be in insulting this messageboard, it's participants, fly fishing, fly fishing icons, and creeks the fly anglers enjoy. It is masterwork of a diabilical mind dead set on getting all this attention by insulting each and every one of us.


The offending post (#29) clearly violates forum rules.

When such posts are noticed, just remove them, send the poster a short PM, end of story.


Posted on: 2011/7/6 22:15


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2011/6/2 19:12
From Minglewood
Posts: 1067
Offline
Frank, if Sal's info is any kinda of true you have killed something like 5000 plus trout my grandkids thanks you!

Posted on: 2011/7/6 22:36
_________________
There ain't no fish in here!


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2006/10/2 10:08
From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Posts: 3776
Offline
It certainly occurred to me that a 100 fish day for Frank would likely kill more trout than a worm dunking meat hunter taking a limit of fish. Just sayin...

Posted on: 2011/7/7 0:12
_________________
Resized Image
Only one constant in the universe, all men are equal in the eyes of the fish.
-GulfGreyhound paraphrasing Herbert Hoover


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2006/9/10 7:44
From Enola, Pa.
Posts: 2312
Offline

I don't usually read Franks post when he comes here but after all the intrest in this one, I did go back and read his posts. IMO, he just comes here now and then to start trouble, because he doesn't like Flyfishermen or this site

I'm sure he is a great spinfisherman and does catch the numbers he says he does, but who cares.

I never thought about the angle of how many fish he kills with those treble hooks but I'm sure it's high numbers.

yes Jack, he is a troll!

PaulG

Posted on: 2011/7/7 6:24


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2006/12/13 9:28
From Other side of the tracks
Posts: 19008
Offline
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Jack,

Glad I'm not the only one seeing what he is doing. I have no doubt this mans contributions to the conservation world, but you hit the nail on the head.


Hey, I can see it to, I just don't care. By responding to it negatively, it feeds it, and feeds a lot of the negative stereotypes. Don’t worry, I’m not going to switch to using spinners only as a result, but I’m not going to switch to using flies only as a result either.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 7:39
_________________
There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance." -Henry David Thoreau--


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2006/12/13 9:28
From Other side of the tracks
Posts: 19008
Offline
If you fish and you actually hook fish, then you kill fish whether you realize it or not. It is true that some methods have higher mortality rate then othres, but they all result in some mortality and I never was a big fan of the "yea, but you kill more" argument.

Do I like the fact that Frank kills more trout each year than I actually catch? Hell yea, but some of that is jealousy that he gets to fish way more often than me.

I'd speculate that because of franks experience and methods, his mortality rate is probably considerably lower than the average spinner fisherman. However, ... if he took that same experience and applied it to fly fishing, his mortality rate would be even lower. so would his catch rate. But spinner fishing is his choice and it is a legal choice.

I do not use spinners on the wild streams, but that is my choice. my brother does use them, but mostly because fly fishing on small streams frustrates him.

I do occasionally use spinners on unstocked treams, and if one is hooked fairly badly... oh well... I'm probably taking it home to eat anyway.

By the way Jack, this was not aimed at you at all. I completely agree that your beef has nothing to do with spinner fishing.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 7:57
_________________
There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance." -Henry David Thoreau--


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 9:29
From Monessen, PA
Posts: 22462
Offline
Well, I'm pretty sure I killed a smallish SMB the other day when he took my zoo cougar so deep it punchured his gills to the rear of the tongue.

So anyway, hopefully Dan and Greg won't be dissuaded from posting a nice report of a friendly unexpected meeting that ended with big fish on dries for fear of it turning into this again.

And, Dave is right, the negative attention is still attention and a simple policy to ignore trolls is better by far, but almost always impossible to achieve.

Troutbert, I disagree about Post #29 "clearly violat[ing] forum rules." The line between disagreement and criticism and personal attack sometimes isn't clear. In a way this thread shows how lenient and flexible the policies are meant to be. Constant slapping of hands by the board owner or moderators at the slightest bit of controversy would make for a rather uninteresting board. Sometimes letting these things play out is therapuetic in helping to define the prevailing norms and expectations of posters. Hopefully, despite being placed on the defensive for his remarks, Frank can understand why Post 29 should never have been made.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 8:16
_________________
Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal.

-- Leo Tolstoy


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/11 8:26
From Chester County
Posts: 9115
Offline
Fellas.......this is the friggin Internet with all types of posters and posts: good, bad, boring, inflammatory, conciliatory, inaccurate, oozing with info, all BS.......

If someone or some post bothers you...don't take the spinner bait and respond. Just ignore it, as Jack said. Better yet, don't even read it. If you do participate in the thread, don't complain about the retort you get. I posted a few times to add my 2, but that was it. Some posters are on here just to stir up the FFers nest. Say your piece, shake your head, and move on.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 8:52


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11425
Offline
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure I killed a smallish SMB the other day when he took my zoo cougar so deep it punchured his gills to the rear of the tongue.


How much Gink did it take float that?

Posted on: 2011/7/7 9:08
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 9:29
From Monessen, PA
Posts: 22462
Offline
Funny you mention that. Theze zoo cougars were tied without weight. I did not use floatant, but I slapped it and stripped it like a popper. Most of the takes or strikes were on the surface.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 9:21
_________________
Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal.

-- Leo Tolstoy


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2007/4/8 20:43
From SEPA
Posts: 11425
Offline
Quote:

JackM wrote:
It is masterwork of a diabilical mind dead set on getting all this attention by insulting each and every one of us.


What happens though when it fails and he just looks like a jackhole who's obsessed with counting numbers to prove his manhood in a world where he somehow views an exorbinant number of fish as reason for excellence, though?

I mean, its certainly getting my attention, but there's nothing positive in it. I actually view it as kind of sad and a little pathetic that someone has such a minor view of his accomplishments in life that he holds up a logbook of fish, for God's sake, as a measure of importance.

I'm not really sure I get it, to be honest. FrankTroutAngler, could you possibly explain to me why I'm supposed to be impressed by the fact that you caught more fish than me? Did that mean you had more fun? Is that really something we have to quantify and compete over?

Just why should I be impressed? Its fishing. This is even sillier than the competition BS that goes on, because at least one can point to that and say it encourages money and attention on the sport, and has the side effect of good stewardship. All FrankTroutAngler has accomplished is a couple of pages in a notebook and a grossly inflated sense of accomplishment because he's caught more fish than a guy with a fly rod. And to think, I thought I was petty and obnoxious.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 9:22
_________________
April 8, 2007 - December 4, 2011.
And why not?


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2006/12/13 9:28
From Other side of the tracks
Posts: 19008
Offline
Quote:

JackM wrote:

Troutbert, I disagree about Post #29 "clearly violat[ing] forum rules." The line between disagreement and criticism and personal attack sometimes isn't clear. In a way this thread shows how lenient and flexible the policies are meant to be. Constant slapping of hands by the board owner or moderators at the slightest bit of controversy would make for a rather uninteresting board. Sometimes letting these things play out is therapuetic in helping to define the prevailing norms and expectations of posters. Hopefully, despite being placed on the defensive for his remarks, Frank can understand why Post 29 should never have been made.


I agree with you Jack.

Troutbert, I went back and read it again, and I think no way did it violate any rules, but a lot of the responses to it did.

I obviously sensed at the time what was going to happen (see post 30). In fact, I'd speculate that the majority of people who took exception to it did so because of who wrote it, not so much because of what was in it.

I made a similar comment about George and the Paradise on here many years ago. Someone (I think it was Chaz) said that George "ruled" the paradise, and I laughed at it and said that I wouldn’t want to be remembered for that. I took some flack for it, but it didn’t bother me. this was when George was still alive and probably before you started contributing here. I still feel that way about the Paradise even after learning more about George. I never met George, but I do like and respect the man and have read his last book. I’ve even purchased 2 limited edition signed copies while he was still around, one as a gift. By he way, that is two more that I have bought of your book. I still wouldn't want to be remembered for that, and after reading Georges book, I doubt he wanted to be remembered for that, either.

I do have a copy of your book, but it was a gift.

Now where is that bread fly pattern?

Posted on: 2011/7/7 9:27
_________________
There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance." -Henry David Thoreau--


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...

Joined:
2006/12/13 9:28
From Other side of the tracks
Posts: 19008
Offline
Quote:

gfen wrote:
And to think, I thought I was petty and obnoxious.


Don't worry, you still are. But it still is not a competitive sport, either.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 9:31
_________________
There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance." -Henry David Thoreau--


Re: Unexpected meeting leads to big fish on dries...
Moderator
Joined:
2006/9/9 9:29
From Monessen, PA
Posts: 22462
Offline
FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

In fact, I'd speculate that the majority of people who took exception to it did so because of who wrote it, not so much because of what was in it.

I made a similar comment about George and the Paradise on here many years ago....


I disagree about why people took exception and I disagree that your prior comments about George Harvey were parallel to Frank's.

Yours were not transparently used as a rhetorical device to insult fly anglers, or even George Harvey himself. This is the only part about "who wrote it" that enters into it, because knowing who wrote it tells us what his motivation was for pulling George Harvey's name out of the air in his assualt on fly fishing in Post #29.

Posted on: 2011/7/7 9:59
_________________
Nietzsche was stupid and abnormal.

-- Leo Tolstoy



« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 »



You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]





Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me



Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment





Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com