Uncle Bob

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

A very long time ago my Uncle Bob and i went to Ontario to hunt Moose and Bear and to fish for t-rout as he called them. I was 15 1/2 at the time and going to Africa the next January. This was a tune up with the heavy stuff and after bagging a Moose with serveral broadsides that would have made Admiral Nelson happy we set down to fishing for t-rout. He had bought two telescoping metal fly rods with auto reels on them, they probably weighed 3 pounds a piece but it didnt matter. Fly fishing is the only way a true sportsman should catch t-rout he said several thousand times. Leaders,tippets,fly selection, line,10 and 2 were all ingrained into me right beside breathing and heart rate. We took the canoe out on a windy day and he commenced to cast into the wind and after several self rescues he said the boat was up wind and we needed to move. Now barbed flys hurt when they are pulled out especialy by the ten foot Indian guide we had, who claimed not to know what we were saying, but i caught him snickering a few times. After about the fifth day Uncle bob looked like someone had shot him with bbs' about his face and neck. The guide carried the pliars with him at all times keeping on eye trained on Bob and the other on the Band Aid box. Ugh got mad when Bob hooked him in his nose and then after apologys hooked him again .We didnt get a Bear but i learned many things. 1. Fly Fishing is dangerous with Uncle Bob. 2. Dont trust Indian Gudies named Ugh. 3. T-rout are delicous over and open camp fire with the Loons singing their very special songs. 4. Black flies suck 5. metal rods suck 6. If your uncle asks you to go hunting and fishing with him, go its worth it many times over. May God rest your soul Bob. :)

Nice story, Thanks for sharing.
JH

Back