Tying dries: take-up from the tie or buy thread

O

OldLefty

I noticed that some of the posters on the tie or buy thread indicated they have some difficulty tying dries. What seems to be the most difficult part of the tying process for those of you who have problems tying dry flies?

Dave R.

hackling. When I say I have difficulty with dry flies, I mean hackles. I do just fine with comparaduns, spinners, etc.

I am with pcray.

I can tie nice hackled flies, and they fish well. I've even tried to tie a few "show quality" cut wings , thorax duns, and stimmies to prove to myself that I could do it. The problem is that I hate spending more than a few minutes per fly (prescribe me adderall and we will talk), and I especially hate having such a wide range of quality in the finished products.

Both of these issues could be fixed with practice, but I don't fish enough dry flies to get that practice. I've been using what's left of the 200 or so caddis, stimulators, and catskill flies I got from the fly stop a few years ago, so the urge to tie dries is not too strong. I also like to grab 2 or 3 of "what's hatching" from Jonas or FFP when I am in the area.

I supplement that supply with cdc and hairwing flies that I tied myself, but it only takes a few dozen per year. The fact that a few colors of cdc and elk seems to cover 90% of my dry fly needs does not help my practice with hackle.

Also, terrestrials. I tie them mostly out of one material (foam) in under a minute, so I don't count them.

I haven't bought many nymphs in the last few years. Most of my nymphing is done with one pattern, which I have never seen in any shop anyway.

The streamers I use are a few dollars in a fly shop, so I tie them too.

I must be some kind of freak, i love tying dries and terrestrials.

Now that being said, I tie specific patterns, like parachutes rather than upright divided wings. I tie more generic hoppers out of foam rather some of the more complicated styles.

The one that I really struggle with is the Elk Hair Caddis, if i could tie that dang wing in consistently I would love tying them too.

Crotalus wrote:
The one that I really struggle with is the Elk Hair Caddis, if i could tie that dang wing in consistently I would love tying them too.

I think the trick with the EHC is to throw a full wrap of thread around the elk hair before wrapping it around the hook. This keeps all the hair on top of the hook, instead of it spinning around it. Try it and see if it works for you.

Hey Jay,

What is your secret special nymph that only you can tie???? lol

I like tying dries, but I can not find myself a good set of hackle pliers! Nothing holds well for me and it drives me nuts when your on your last wrap and the hackle comes out.

Crotalus wrote:
I must be some kind of freak, i love tying dries and terrestrials.

that makes two of us, but not so much on the terrestrials anymore. I've tied some cool hopper patterns, but they are time consuming. I learned to tie dries first. but I can't say they are easier ti tie. I just prefer tying them.

Now that being said, I tie specific patterns, like parachutes rather than upright divided wings. I tie more generic hoppers out of foam rather some of the more complicated styles.

Here is where we differ. I find the elk hair caddis easier to tie. Same with the Royal" paterns. i prefer tying trudes to coachman. The difficult dries for me are

Spinners, Comparaduns, and Split wings. My comparaduns never look right and get messed up in the fly box.

For hoppers I sometimes get complicated. Time consuming, but I get to express my artistic side.;-) bluegills love them.

A tip on caddis. Years ago I learned something on here from a guy who doesn't hang around anymore (jeff f). I tie some of my caddis patterns with wool for the wing (instead of elk hair).

I was skeptical, but I fished with him one time and I was convinced. Much easier to tie too. I was fishing over a couple rising fish on Penns, with no luck other than I didn't put the fish down. Then jeff (he never used caps) came along and I told him to give it a try to see if he had any luck. First or second cast and it was fish on. We were using the same color flies, but his had wool wing. He gave me a couple of flies, and I ended up catching a few. That guy can fish, and he was big time into nymph fishing. His wife was a pretty good angler too (and a sharp looking former gymnast). She even caught more than me that day. My excuse is that it was the first time i ever fished that crick.;-)

He ended up mailing a box of dyed wool in various colors to me. A lifetime supply. I'm not sure what he did with the sheep.;-) Oh yea, tie them without hackle too, making them even easier to tie. They ride deeper in the film.

I still use elk hair variety too, maybe even more so than the wool. But some days the wool just works better. The wool wing version must better resemble an emerging caddis or something. I don't know.

Maybe I shouldn't have offered up that secret. Oh well.

LRSABecker wrote:
I like tying dries, but I can not find myself a good set of hackle pliers! Nothing holds well for me and it drives me nuts when your on your last wrap and the hackle comes out.

Might help if you modify the hackle pliers a little to get the tension you want. Also, I added shrink wrap to the one set so it is less likely to slip. For sizes 14 and 16, I usually just use saddle hackle. Much easier to work with and multiple flies from one feather. I rarely use necks anymore. I'm a cheap bastage.

also with the others...it's definitely the hackles that give most folks trouble...took me quite a while to get it down, but with enough practice it's really quite simple.

Ryan,

It's not special (or is it?), and it's not something only I can tie. It's just something that commercial tiers don't seem to tie, and it effectively matches just about everything living in limestone streams.

I was taught the pattern by another board member, so I choose to keep it off the board as a courtesy to them, which I think is more for the purposes of keeping it "special" :p. It's a one material fly (2 if you rib it), and it's incredibly simple.

For most intents and purposes, it's just a hare's ear. I'll trade you a few at the jam.

Regarding hairwings... I watched this video a year or two ago, and now follow his procedure almost exactly for tying my hairwings. Most of my caddis (and about half of my mayflies) are cdc and elks, but the same techniques apply to any hairwing. They consistently look great. A decent stacker is critical.

I'm surprized at the hackles as a response. I would have though for-sure the wings would have been everyones' reason.

With hackle...buy good stuff and I prefer Whiting 100's, no need for hackle pliers then.

Although I may only use/tie a handfull of dries every year, I really enjoy tying them. I think there is something "classy" about a finished dry fly.

MKern wrote:
I'm surprized at the hackles as a response. I would have though for-sure the wings would have been everyones' reason.

With hackle...buy good stuff and I prefer Whiting 100's, no need for hackle pliers then.

Although I may only use/tie a handfull of dries every year, I really enjoy tying them. I think there is something "classy" about a finished dry fly.

I love Whiting 100's too, save me time sizing hackles and, depending on pattern, I can get 6-18(yeah, I'm serious!!!)flies out of one feather, although they're getting a little pricey...(as to that 18 flies, I just got 18 #18 black midges out of one feather this morning, and I was really amazed!!!)

I stocked up on my 100's when they were $11 a pack, now they are almost $20.

I've seen them down to a size 28 too. Only 1 place had them though...a tackle shop in Hawaii....weird.
I didn't buy them, because I was unsure why they would be the only place with them that small.

Supposedly, Whiting is raising birds with the smaller feathers now. Take a few generations to engineer that.

MKern wrote:

I agree with that. I don't like the wings either on hacked flies and often leave them off. I'm not convinced that they help catch more fish. they are more for the anglers approval than they are for the fish's approval. Damn things are tough to get aligned right, get in the way when adding the hackle and sometimes cause the fly to spin during casting, too.

That is why I don't mind tying dry flies. I usually leave the wings off.

FarmerDave wrote:
MKern wrote:

I agree with that. I don't like the wings either on hacked flies and often leave them off. I'm not convinced that they help catch more fish. they are more for the anglers approval than they are for the fish's approval. Damn things are tough to get aligned right, get in the way when adding the hackle and sometimes cause the fly to spin during casting, too.

C'mon, are wings really that hard? they never gave me a problem (except for upright divided quill wings, they took a while...), and the only wingless dries I tie now are midges

FarmerDave wrote:
MKern wrote:

I used to agree, but the pictures in Marinaro's "The Ring of The Rise" convinced me that wings are important. Pretty much the first thing the fish sees!
I struggled with hackle when I was starting out until I bought the good stuff. Now I love tying drys.
Mike.

The difficult dries for me are .... Spinners...

Seriously? It's just a group of fibers lashed to a hook (I use HI VIS). If you can dub, you can tie a spinner. I think they might be among the quickest and easiest flies to tie, I spend more time on the tails than anything else on them.

My hackles look like bird's nests, fibers going every which way, not neat at all. Maybe its the materials....

Switching from Metz to Whiting was a real turning point for me when it came to dries.

The Whiting saddles (and 100s) are a real pleasure to tie with.

I am to the point with EHC i think it is the hair that i have that is giving me problems. I have worked at it enough that the hair no longer spins, but it just doesn't have a nice profile. I think the hair is too coarse.

I agree with hackles as my problem. More specifically maintaining the correct proportions. I often end up with hackle a size larger or so larger than what I should have for the hook size. This is especially true for flies in the 12 to 16 hook sizes. I do ok with 18s and 20s. Was it Lou that told me "big flies = big mistakes"?

FD, it would seem that wool wing on a caddis would sink like a rock? No? I assume its the same material (wool duh) used in sculpins and whatnot?

Back