Trucks, SUV's and 4x4's.........what's your fishing vehicle?

krayfish2

krayfish2

I've been driving the old Element into the ground over the last 12 years. It won't be long before she's off to the big scrap yard in the sky. The first Honda I've owned got 279k before it blew up. This one is at 241k and counting.

I've been looking at midsized trucks and various SUV platforms. Any vehicle would be daily commuter / fishing vehicle. It will be used to pull utility trailer and a boat. 4WD and 6cyl needed to get boat out of some ramps. I've done some research about the different model years and their known mechanical issues.

Vehicles being considered:
Nissan Frontier (05 - 08 have trans cooler issues)
Toyota Taframe (05 - 08 frame rust issues)
Nissan Xterra. (same as Frontier)
Toyota FJ (???)

I'm sure there are some gearheads on here that are better versed in vehicles. I haven't considered Chevy, Dodge or Ford due to having bad experiences with all of them in the past. Everyone I know that's had a Jeep Cherokee.....tranny issues. Anything I'm missing that I should consider? Would be looking at vehicles between 2006 & 2015 (depending on mileage)

What kind of fishin vehicle do you have? Open to suggestions from happy owners. Sorry Sandy, although your vehicle is handy, I'm not getting a panel van. LOL.

Toyota rav4 is a good suv. can even lift them a few inches.
Please get rid of that element its embarrassing when its here in the driveway

I really like my Chevy Colorado. The size fits my needs. I believe Chevy advertises it was small truck of the year. The towing capacity should be verified for your needs.

One negative thing I will add about my Colorado: It's a 2007 4wd model, and the low range in 4wd just isn't low enough. All the 4wd's I owned (at least 8) had a low range that was truly a "creeper gear". This applies when descending down ice or slushy mud covered roads.

God dang Volvo wagon. #censor# is pimp.

I love my Tacoma. 2011 TRD Off Road -

11355902_1591471007791467_1408189944_n.jpg

11950531_769300806509911_653360035_n.jpg

Its the perfect daily driver. Its the perfect hunting and fishing vehicle too.

V6, 6 speed, 4wd, locking rear differential, 3" lift, uprated Bilstein shocks/struts all around, Eibach front springs, 265 Duratracs, Bestop Supertop, LED light bar, blah blah blah.

I could go on for days about how much I love the thing. Its 100% practical and 100% functional.

With the tire/suspension combo, its like a tank. It'll take anything you throw at it. Mud, snow, ice, ect is no problem. Ive yet to meet a location I couldnt get to to hunt/fish.

The folding soft top is great for summer. The truck doubles as a tent on wheels as my air mattress fits in the bed perfectly. Perfect for those weekend trips.

I have a roof rack for it as well. I can strap my canoe to it no problem.

2 complaints I do have include gas mileage and cabin space.

I get about 250 (winter) to 290 (summer) miles between fill ups - full to gaslight. Typically takes about 17 gallons, but thats expected with a truck.

The cabin space isnt huge, but thats expected with a mid sized, access cab truck. Its perfect for me and my girlfriend and gear though. I wouldnt want to cram 4 people into it and drive a great distance.

SBecker wrote:
God dang Volvo wagon. #censor# is pimp.

Hizell yeah! Rockin' 210K miles on my 94' 850 wagon. Got room for all my gear, can sleep in it, never miss the 4WD or AWD. Thing is a TANK, plus 30 mpg highway.

2007 GMC Serria extended cab.

Comfortable on a long trip, pulls the bass boat easily. If only the gas mileage was better.......

That truck is sweet. I hope to get crew cab 1/2 as nice as yours to replace the Honda ....once she goes. I like that folding cap idea.

Sas & Shane,
I've always liked those Volvo XC wagons. I just don't think the frame or suspension are designed for a fair amount of towing or carrying weight.

My 15 year Volvo XC has been my fishing tank, but now it needs a new radiator, tie rods, and brake job. probably going to set me back $1500,00. I'm looking too. maybe a Subaru Outback or Tribeca.

2006 Ford F-150 FX4. 5.4 liter V8 triton. No problems except spark plugs and coils when they go, but otherwise I love it.

You're right, Kray. I forget you tow pontoons and such. I don't have any of that, so it's probably not what you want.

I know I'm going to have to start thinking about replacing mine soon. It's mechanically sound, but it's falling apart inside haha! Sagging ceiling, a seat that won't recline/decline, my tape deck is cuttin' in and out, sucks.

I had a v6 2002 Tacoma with the Off Road package (better suspension and diff lock), that I used daily to tow my 4k lb work trailer and for fishing, camping etc. That vehicle could go through or up any terrain. I used to work at a Toyota shop years ago, and that was my favorite generation of Tacoma. If you tow a lot with it, a tranny cooler is an easy install. I also did a front brake swap off of a first gen Tundra, which was incredible for towing.

I drive an F150 now because it's a better fit for my work trailer, but not nearly as great as a fishing/camping vehicle. When I upgrade to a Super Duty strictly for work, I'll probably get an older 4Runner that has diff lock.

2014 Tacoma Crew Cab 4x4. It's the 4.0 with a 6 speed manual trans. It gets 19.5 with the cruise at 70. The auto will probably do a little better thanks to a taller OD gear and less highway RPM's. I had a 2011 that was identical except for a 5 speed auto trans and it got 21.5 with the cruise at 70...the manual really doesn't need those extra 300 rpms in 6th vs the auto in 5th. I don't do offroad park type stuff with it, but there's no legal to drive to stream access spot in PA it couldn't easily get to.

Anyway, they're great trucks. The 2011 didn't have a spec of rust on the frame when I traded it (for $26,500!) in 2014 FWIW. From what I've gathered the newer the truck, the better the frames hold up...but then again they're still relatively new, time will tell. If you end up deciding on a Taco kray, go as new as you can afford. I've always made it a point after the roads dry a few days after a snow storm to take my trucks to the car wash and pressure wash the road salt off the body and undercarriage...it can only help with things.

FWIW before the Tacomas I had a 2005 Colorado...nice enough little truck but the Tacomas were far superior in every facet. The new Colorado's seem to be pretty competitive though...except for price.

I've had a 2000 Explorer and 1998 4Runner at varying points in time too. The 4Runner may have been the nicest, most well built of them all...she was a divorce casualty however. In the end though if i can only choose one I prefer a truck as a recreation vehicle because of the "hose-out" convenience of the bed for any dirty fishing/camping gear.

2011 Jeep Compass 4x4. Has plenty of room , easy to manuever in tight spots and gets ALOT better gas mileage than the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8 I traded in. I can travel to and from Spring Creek for less money!

2011 Jeep Compass 4x4. Has plenty of room , easy to manuever in tight spots and gets ALOT better gas mileage than the 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-8 I traded in. I can travel to and from Spring Creek for less money!

2014 Porsche Cayenne Diesel. 406 lb.-ft. of torque and 30+ mpg. Yes, it's one of those the EPA has targeted as of late and I don't care.

After driving 2 chevy and a ford pickup trucks for the last 35 years - and having more than my share of problems with each of them IMO - I bought a Tacoma 4x4 last fall.
And after a year of fishing and camping out in it now, I'm quite happy.
It's built a lot better than any of my previous trucks, and I think it will last me a long time.
I got the 2.7 four banger engine. No zoom zoom. But that's OK - I won't be towing anything with it. And the mileage is pretty good.

The only negative - it has a pretty stiff ride. But most 4WD's do

Traded my 2006 for a 2007 FJ this summer. Love it!

Man, now I want to trade my Forester in for a Tacoma. I love my forester - AWD, great in the snow, comfortable to drive, and plenty of space in the back to haul my gear - but I do pine for something with more towing capacity and it's gas mileage isn't the greatest (23, 25).

Back