Trout

padave

padave

What is some of your favorite trout recipes.
One of mine is the whole thing on the grill.

Filleted-
Freshwater-I ate a brown once-mushy and actually bought some farm raised rainbows-eh
saltwater-now you are talking.

Don't really like fresh water fish very much. Obviously anything deep fried is a win. I do like smoked salmon, so I assume smoked trout would be in the same ball park.

I know smoked whitefish is a treat-can you smoke suckers ?

>>can you smoke suckers ?>>

Yes indeedy...

When they were kids, my Dad and his brothers used to catch them out of Elk Creek when they were on their Spring spawning run and they'd smoke a bunch of them every year.

Have to get them when the water is fairly cold though, say under 50F. Otherwise, their flesh can be kind of mushy.

But that's axiomatic about suckers anyway, whether you are smoking them or cooking them by some other means.

My Father used to catch suckers in early spring as well, from Elk Creek and Penn's Creek when he was young and they smoked them. In his later years, he started smoking Stocked trout with Apple or cherry wood and served it to his friends during their annual "Game Feed". He served it with capers and a horseradish-dill sauce. It was good as any smoked salmon!
While I was stationed in Southern Virginia, I frequently caught and smoked Eel and Croakers which were awesome too.

YUM. Im laying here in a hospital bed with a big "NPO" sign over my bed ( NPO means: can't eat or drink anything ) I should never have started this thread. I'M STARVING

Back