Trout Stamp: When do you not need it?

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

If my dad wanted to fish the Tulpehocken creek not in the speciel regulation areas, would you need a trout stamp? (He isn't trout fishing and uses a regular rod and no bait) A ranger over at Scott's Run told us that you don't need one at SRatfter a certain date.

http://fishandboat.com/faqlice.htm#5

5. When is a Trout/Salmon Permit required?

A current Pennsylvania Trout/Salmon Permit is required to fish for trout or salmon in Pennsylvania waters. An angler “fishes for trout or salmon” when he or she:

Takes, kills, or possesses, while in the act of fishing, a trout or salmon from any PA or boundary waters.

Fishes in waters under special trout-salmon regulations....view trout special regulation areas.

Fishes in any Class A Wild Trout Waters or Wilderness Trout Streams or their tributaries....view Class A wild trout waters, or view Wilderness Trout streams.

Fishes in streams and rivers designated as approved trout waters on March 1 through May 31....view approved trout waters.

wgmiller wrote:
Fishes in streams and rivers designated as approved trout waters on March 1 through May 31....view approved trout waters.

Is this a new policy?

Just asking because, like most of us, I just buy the stamp every year and don't worry about when exactly it is required. I've always assumed that one needed the stamp to fish for trout in ATWs year round - but apparently, no stamp is needed to fish in ATWs (C&R only) after May 31st(?).
It seems odd that a stamp is required to fish Class A/Wilderness all year, but not ATW. Perhaps the PFBC's rationale is that Class A/Wilderness really don't have other species anyway, whereas lakes and big streams that are ATW are fished in summer by WW anglers(?).

I'm not trying to hijack this thread into another multi-page discussion of another ambiguous PFBC regulation, just wondering if this particular rule as always been in place.

FI, your assumptions are correct, the restrictive definition of "fishes for trout" that includes fishing at all on an ATW from March 1 to the end of May is relaxed to allow WW fishing beginning in June. Keep in mind, however, that it is still illegal to "take, kill, or possess, while in the act of fishing, a trout or salmon from any PA or boundary waters" at any time without a permit.

I believe the MAy 31 expiration is based on the expectation by the PF&BC that all trout in ATWs have been effectively "utilized" aka "harvested" by said date.

Fishidiot wrote:
wgmiller wrote:

Is this a new policy?

Just asking because, like most of us, I just buy the stamp every year and don't worry about when exactly it is required. I've always assumed that one needed the stamp to fish for trout in ATWs year round - but apparently, no stamp is needed to fish in ATWs (C&R only) after May 31st(?).
It seems odd that a stamp is required to fish Class A/Wilderness all year, but not ATW. Perhaps the PFBC's rationale is that Class A/Wilderness really don't have other species anyway, whereas lakes and big streams that are ATW are fished in summer by WW anglers(?).

I'm not trying to hijack this thread into another multi-page discussion of another ambiguous PFBC regulation, just wondering if this particular rule as always been in place.

No it's not new, but it may have been refined over the years.

So he needs one for the Tully because of the year round trout fishing reg?

This seems to say yes:

Fishes in waters under special trout-salmon regulations....view trout special regulation areas.

Wildbrowntrout,
If your Dad is fishing the Tully outside the ATW section (which is listed as Marion Twp downstream to the vicinity of Charming Forge Rd.) he does not need a trout/salmon permit.

If he is fishing within the ATW section between March 1 and May 31 he needs a trout/salmon permit regardless of weather or not he practices C&R or plans to harvest a trout.

If he fishes the Tully DH Area at any time of the year he needs a trout/salmon permit.

plenty of guys fish the dh area of the tully with bait. i bet they dont need one

They would still need a trout stamp in your example.

why ? because you guys are so effective at enforcing regs that are being broken?

Well, under your theory Sal, catch and relase fly anglers don't need a fishing licence or permit at all to fish special regs waters. And, for that matter to fish Class As and harvest as many wild trout as they like.

The question is what the law allows. Everyone sensed your initial comment was about poachers, but since the thread was about what is "permitted," it would be the better part of prudence to just state the law and support it.

WCO wrote:
Wildbrowntrout,
If your Dad is fishing the Tully outside the ATW section (which is listed as Marion Twp downstream to the vicinity of Charming Forge Rd.) he does not need a trout/salmon permit.

If he is fishing within the ATW section between March 1 and May 31 he needs a trout/salmon permit regardless of weather or not he practices C&R or plans to harvest a trout.

If he fishes the Tully DH Area at any time of the year he needs a trout/salmon permit.

Thanks for the clarification WCO.
I'm sure I'm not the only experienced trout angler who was not aware that a TS is not required for ATWs after 31 May.

You aren't because most trout anglers own the stamp by May 31 and so it never occurs to them that they don't need to have it in ATWs after that date. :cool:

To add to what WCO said, if your dad is fishing in the second ATW section (not mentioned by WCO) that is located immediately downstream from the DH area and extends from the covered bridge downstream to the mouth (p 27 of the regulation book), that stretch is open to year around fishing, but a trout stamp is required there from March 1 to May 31, inclusively.

Where it gets confusing.

Not required on Class B, C, > at any time if not designated wilderness or ATW. That is a whole heck of a lot of streams. Of course I couldn't actually target trout. Might be tough to prove on some.

And then, what's up with steelhead fishing in the tribs?

I know I need a lake Erie stamp for that, but why would I need the trout stamp in the fall and winter?

None of those are Class A, wilderness, whatever and I think Elk Creek, or at least part of it is ATW.

Yea, technically steelhead are trout, but clearly a different program. ;-)

I just by them both whether I know I will need them or not, but one year I only bought the lake Erie stamp because it was already fall.

Jeez, a whole $9.70 for a trout stamp...

Those who don't want to spend the money ('cause they can't afford it I reckon) and would rather rack their brains trying to figure out the whens, whys & wheres of its necessity, more than likely...

...spent more than that on tackle and gas, much more than that on a couple of beers or dinner after fishing, triple that on a data plan for their phone, 10 times that on their last tattoo, or 20 times that on cable or satellite TV...

...not to mention way more on a fine if they miscalculated their location.

Oh I get it, it's because they spent too much on that other stuff that they can't afford the $9.70... :roll:

You forgot scratch off tickets.

Du-oh...but of course if they WON some money on the scratch-off tickets, like say $10...they would never buy a Trout Stamp...

...couldn't afford it, although more scratch-offs would definitely be in on the spending spree.

Back