Trout N About Charters NY

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

Hello all,
My Dad and I are throwing around the idea of going on a guided trip and he mentioned the Trout n about charters. He got referred to them from a co worker, but I wanted to know if anyone has gone on a guide with these guys. Thanks in advance!

Are you going on a steelhead drift trip or warm weather fishing on the lake? And are you going to Pulaski area or Oswego or western NY?

when are you looking to go/target? Never heard of him but it looks like he concentrates on the lake and western tribs.

Probably looking at a spring trip for trout on lake tribs. It's just a thought right now, dad just really wants to hook into some big browns as do I. I'm thinking spring will probably be our target time.

In the spring, you should find the Brown's in the lake shallows close to shore chasing baitfish. In the river, steelhead at that time.

krayfish wrote:
In the spring, you should find the Brown's in the lake shallows close to shore chasing baitfish. In the river, steelhead at that time.

Truth, however, I've seen browns following the suckers and river chubs on the SR. Saw a horse of a brown in Gstone the first week of April, a few miles from the lake. They aren't in heavily, but they I'll follow these spawns. I've never seen it myself, but I've also heard that some Lakers follow this run, too.

Boyer

I would definitely say if you guys are after browns I would go up in the fall. Some are caught each year in the spring, but as someone said, more so in the lake. Although there is a chance and we have gotten into them in the spring, just not in big numbers.

What I would consider is if you have some time, not even getting a guide at all. The online maps and things available now really cut your learning curve. It's not an overly difficult area to learn, and in actuality, there is a of waters that get fish. Almost every trickle gets some fish, especially in spring when flows are more abundant.

If you have any particular questions, feel free to PM me. I would be glad to help you out.

krayfish wrote:

True dat. I have a friend with a boat on Lake O (Sodus). I've fished with him just after ice-out and had some great days FFing right along shore casting and stripping streamers for browns.

I definitely agree with that. If you are going to fish the actual lake shore, then getting some spring browns becomes a much bigger reality.

afishinado wrote:
krayfish wrote:

True dat. I have a friend with a boat on Lake O (Sodus). I've fished with him just after ice-out and had some great days FFing right along shore casting and stripping streamers for browns.

i was just reading about this last night, in PA you can fish the coves round Presque Isle for big brownies corralling bait where 2 months later you'll be wet wading for bass and esox.

Back