Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Trophy Hunt, round 2

From chester county
I'm still feeling pretty crappy tonight and not going anywhere, but I did get some fishing in early this morning. We had over an inch of rain last night and I just could not pass up the chance to fish a local limestoner in high water. This stream clears so fast I have never been able to catch it while it's high before. Unlike my last trophy hunt, this one produced some nice fish!

Got to the stream at 8 am and it was already clear enough to see 18"-2 ft down. Tried a scud in the first hole with no luck. Decided to quit messin' around and tied on a slumpbuster. First cast rolled a rainbow that was at least 15", and then a brown in the 12-14" range bumped it. Before that cast made it back to me, a much smaller rainbow darted out from under a bush and whacked the streamer. Fish #1 for the day! Couple more casts in that pool went untouched by the two bigger fish, but not far downstream I picked up another small rainbow in a fast run.

Came to a pool that has produced my two largest rainbow trout ever, 19" and 17". I let the current take the fly into the lie where both those fish came from and immediately got a take. This fish darted back and forth across the hole several times before i finally saw it was a nice brown. Although it was only 13-14" that was one of the strongest browns I've ever caught- probably because it was also one of the fattest!

I moved to a different section of the stream that my fishing buds and I just call "the meadow". Narrow, shallow stream with lots of brown trout, but you hardly ever see them because there are so many undercuts for them to hide in. But that little bit of extra water this morning made a huge difference. I came to a bend that is one of those spots that looks good but has never produced a fish. On the second cast, I found out why. I felt a little bump on the line, set the hook, and was into a BIG brown! He got downstream of me and tried several times to run me under the bank. Somehow I was able to turn it and bring it across the main current into a shallow eddy on my side of the stream without breaking the 5x tippet. This 17" brown is my best from the stream- I caught another 17" brown here two years ago but this one probably weighed half a pound more than that one. This old beast had no problem inhaling the fly. I was worried the hook had caught all the way down in the gills, but luckily it was in the roof of the mouth and the trout swam off to fight another day.

That ended up being the biggest of the day, and I didn't think anything could top that in the last hour, but there were two more experiences that could challenge for highlight of the day. I lost both of my remaining store-bought slumpbusters and tied on a self-tied variation. A 13" brown went completely airborne chasing my fly through the shallow head of a pool, and it landed with the fly still in its mouth! I was able to bring that fish up through raging current and land it. Not long afterward, I caught a gorgeous 16" brown that I think I had caught in the same run back in February. I photographed different sides of the fish though, so I can't be sure.

My last fish of the day was a "little" 9" brown that also took the self-tied streamer. Until that point, all of the browns I caught were over 12 inches! What a day. There's just nothing like big browns on streamers after a heavy rain. Glad I didn't sleep in!

Posted on: 2012/9/28 21:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com