Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Travel/guide tipping

From Lancaster
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've visited. Sorry I missed the Jam. I've been so busy, I didn't even realize it happened. Looks like it was the usual good time.... at least for Moe

I have a question or two that some here might be able to help me with. I'm going to Labrador next week for some real brook trout fishin! Chaz, I'll make sure to take a few pics...

MY brother and I have been talking about it for years and we've finally been able to make all the arrangements (talk our wives into letting us spend the required big bucks!).

Its a fly-in fishing camp where there is one guide for every two anglers. They rotate guides so I believe we'll end up fishing with 3 different guides through the course of the week. Having never fished with guides, we were wondering about customary tipping rates. I asked the camp operator and he was somewhat vague on what's typical giving me a very broad range. Assuming the guides put in a good effort, we want to tip appropriately. Anybody have any suggestions?

Anybody have any recent difficulty with taking a travel rod as carry-on? The few times I've taken a rod, I was able to fit it into checked luggage. I'm thinking of carrying on and a buddy of mine was hassled in security with a 4-piece rod tube on a recent trip. I haven't had problems in the past, but its been a couple years.

It seem a little disingenuous to only check in here on the board when I have a question, but I hope you don't mind. Thanks in advance.

Tim B.

ps. Moe, CW, with the levels being good, I went out on the river to test cast a 6piece 6 wt I built for the Labrador trip. There were some cahills and yellow drakes hatching sporadically and a few steady risers. Missed 3 and hooked one very big fishe that tussled for a few moments before losing. There weren't a lot of active fish, but the ones I saw were BIG. I was wishing I had an 8 wt....

Posted on: 2007/6/20 21:40

Re: Travel/guide tipping

From Pine Grove
I'm not too sure about the carry on rod question, since you can get three different answers from the same airline in the same day, depending on who you talk to, but as far as I've been told tipping percentage is roughly the same as if it were a restaurant. Usually I try to tip between 50 and 100, depending more on what the guide has taught me than fish caught. I always like to think "he did a good job, and as long as he won't be tipping those rotten fish he earned it." It's a tough way to make a living and they deal with a lot. I hope this helps.

Boyer

Posted on: 2007/6/21 6:40

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrave ... stant/editorial_1188.shtm

Scroll down for fishing items.

As for tipping, guides are a service much like a waiter, etc - - 15-20%. Have a great trip!

Posted on: 2007/6/21 8:36

From Monessen, PA
Lawyers also provide a service, but I have never received a tip from a client. What's up with that?

But on a serious note, though I have never used a guide, I would only consider the possibility of a tip if I was guided by someone who was employed by a guiding service. If the guide is his own boss, so to speak, I would think the charge for the service should be equal to what he/she thinks the service is worth. If not, too bad. Go ahead and let me have it, but that is my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 9:38

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Dallastown, PA
I sort of agree with Jack. I mean, $225-$400 a day for a guide is pretty steep. Of course if it is out of a shop you can figure the shop get over half that...

And it's not like being a waiter/waitress. They make $2-min wage and rely on tips to make a living. These guides are bringing in $100 and up per day.

I believe I'd cap a tip at $50 and at min give him $20. Slide the scale between that for how I felt about the trip.

I would also add when tipping him how I felt about the experience rather than rely on my $$$ to do the talking completely. The money is important but a good compliment can make the money feel like more than it is.

I've never paid for "sins of the fish" before so I have no experience with this. I have however guided in a casual way may times for no pay and have never been offered a tip. Sometimes Someone will give me a token later on, a lanyard, a fly box, etc. But I enjoy teaching people or rather the look on their face when they roll out that perfect cast or get their fly in a spot they wouldn't imagine being able to do before we worked together.

Hey, Tim has guided me many many times on the susky and I've never tipped him more than a rolling rock or two in the parking lot...That's it Tim...take some Troegg's in the carry on.

Maurice

Posted on: 2007/6/21 10:25

From Lancaster
Thanks guys

Where we are going, you don't have a choice but to fish with a guide. Given the remote fly-in nature of the area, a guide is a necessity. Much as I buy the argument about tipping/not tipping lawyers or other professions, I believe it is customary in camps like this and the guides depend on it.

Using a percentage doesn't work because we are not directly paying guide fees. We pay the camp operator to fly us in, feed us, house us, etc. The guides are included in the rate for the camp. Don't really know what they get from the camp operator, so a percentage just won't work. I think the guides pool the tips and split them so tipping each guide separately may or may not make much sense.

Moe, I'm way ahead of you on the beer angle. The camp doesn't provide alcoholic beverages, you have to request in advance and they fly it in on their cargo flights and just charge you the cost of the beer. But if you order enough that you go over your weight limit for the float plane, you pay extra. I ordered twice as much beer as I think I'll drink, figuring I can share a few with the guides.

The travel info link was helpful (thanks vcregular!). I've always put my fly boxes in my checked luggage in the past, but may re-think that idea. Thanks guys. More opinions on the tipping concept are welcome.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 10:48

From Chester County
As a general rule, a tip of 10% - 20% of the fee is customary for a guide. I think Maurice has it about right - $20 - $50 based on the trip you described. I usually tip based on how hard the guide works and how knowledgeable the guide is, not necessary on how big or how many fish I caught (we all know how fishin’ is). I’ve had some great experiences with guides that were knowledgeable about fly fishing and fly tying, knowledgeable about the river, the wildlife, the history of the area, etc. Also handling a drift boat all day on some waters is a hard days work. You can learn a lot and a good guide and they can add a lot to your trip. On the other hand a lazy or inexperienced guide can be a waste – and maybe $20 is too much.

My wife bought me a package deal fly fishing trip in PA for my birthday last year that included a guide, since I complained about skipping my FF trip out west for the last few years. The guide was a good guy and fairly knowledgeable. Believe it or not, when I reached into my pocket to tip him at the end of the day he refused to take it. He said you rally didn’t need me tagging along. I would never use a guide for local fishing.

I hire a guide usually for one day when I’m in unfamiliar water, usually out-west, to get the lay-of-the-land/water, and I fish on my own for the rest of the time. On several trips I brought my young nephew, and the guide was great at teaching him to fly fish. Teaching a beginner is good reason to hire a guide, as well, you may need a guide on some waters that are only accessible by a drift boat. Before you book a guide, find out all you can about him before the trip. Like I said, you can learn a lot about the area and the fishing in one day from a guide, or you can waste a lot of money.

Ps. As far as TSA rules - they are interpreted differently by each airline and each airport. I’ve carried on my rod one flight and been refused on the connecting flight! I would try to carry on all my valuable fishing stuff, but make provisions (have luggage tags and an extra bag) to be able to check it in if it were disallowed.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 11:50

From Harrisburg PA
15 to 20% is on target, but the minimum should be $20-$25( as long as the guide is decent), max at $50 or so in most cases, but don't be stingy if you had a great guide(attitude, knowledge and work ethic) and great fishing. Don't hold lack of fish catching on the guide, his job is to give you a shot. If he puts you on fish, the rest is up to you.

As far as tips for guide/owners - I don't give $$$, but I make sure I have a few extra cigars or extra libations with a cup for the guide. They will appreciate this. As JAck said they should have made there money by setting the rate.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 11:54

From Bozeman
I know a man who guided for a lodge out west. He worked a similar operation as the one you are about to visit, a crew of guides and also meals and the stuff like that.

At the end of the trip, I believe he said that the usual was for someone to leave a rather large tip for the entire staff to divide at the end of the trip... $250 or so to split between the guy doing the cooking, the three guys you fish with, the pilot for the fly-in, etc.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 12:02

I wouldn't tip unless the guy offers to give you a happy ending then it is apperent that he really needs the money.

Like guides and most of you we are in service based businesses. We get billed out at a certain %. My boss gets his cut and I get the crumbs. If i do a super job I get a bonus from the boss not the client. As a consumer I would treat the guide the same way.

Your best bet for sending your rod is Fed ex. They track it and you can insure it. Thats how I got stuff to and from AK.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 12:57

From Harrisburg
Dear Tim,

If you and your brother tip each guide $ 20.00 to $ 30.00 a piece per day that should be fair. If the guide does something extraordinary, or God forbid something awful, you can adjust your tip. If you could break out the daily fee I'd say stick with 15 -20% as a tip just like you do with other service related workers.

Guides in a fly-in camp typically only work a couple of months a year at the guiding business. The rest of the year they may guide hunter's in the Fall or do logging or some other thing but tips go a long way to supplement the income of most guides.

That's how I view it and how I do things, other folks may have differing opinions but I can say that I've only ever had one lame-o guide. Bad guides get weeded out quickly and the good ones that stick around for years count on those tips for a job well done.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/6/21 14:08

From Carlisle
Im actually gald this topic came up because I was going to ask it myself. Im going on a half day (actually 5-6 hours) trip for Striped Bass in Maine for $175 and I was thinking about just making it an even $200. By most of your standards it seems like I was thinking a little high in that ballpark.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 16:45

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

shipnfish2006 wrote:
Im actually gald this topic came up because I was going to ask it myself. Im going on a half day (actually 5-6 hours) trip for Striped Bass in Maine for $175 and I was thinking about just making it an even $200. By most of your standards it seems like I was thinking a little high in that ballpark.

That would be about 15%, no? That's about what people were suggesting.

Of course, if it is the owner/proprietor that guides you, I would think about making it an even $175.

Posted on: 2007/6/21 17:04

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Carlisle
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Quote:

shipnfish2006 wrote:

That would be about 15%, no? That's about what people were suggesting.

Of course, if it is the owner/proprietor that guides you, I would think about making it an even $175.

haha wow i dont know what kind of math i was doing yesterday...

Posted on: 2007/6/22 8:51

From Enola, Pa.
Tim

Good to hear from you, it's been a long time, sure do miss fishing with you!

Have a great trip, and be sure to tell us about it, I know you'll have you camera with you!

Paul

Posted on: 2007/6/23 7:33

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com