Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Trash on Yellow Creek

From Cambria County
I got out on the FFO section of Yellow Creek yesterday afternoon. In the off chance that the litterbug is on this board or a lurker on this board, I feel inclined to post. Between the parking lot and the school house section, I picked up 5 water bottles, 2 Cortland leader packets, and at least 15 cigarette butts. This is a great stretch of stream that a group of guys work very hard on to keep open to public. That public access can be shut off just as fast as it was granted. Point being, take your crap with you. Pack out whatever you pack in. This seems like a simple idea, but some people are obviously having a problem with it. Rant over, as you were.

Posted on: 12/20 22:53

Re: Trash on Yellow Creek

From harlansburg
I hate littering, I REALLY hate when people flick their F-n cig butts on the ground, makes me want to hit them, REALLY!
want to see me go off? litter in front of me.
I've been burned more than a few times from some idiot flicking a lit cig out the car window and it lands on my face while I'm on the motorcycle behind them.
oh yeah, hate for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 12/20 23:30

From Lansdale
How about when they flick it into the stream while you've stopped to talk? I couldn't believe that one.

Posted on: 12/21 7:10

From Ferguson Twp.
I just don't understand what's so hard about having a bag of some sort to put such a small amount of waste in, instead of throwing it on the ground. Or in the stream we all love to be on.

Posted on: 12/21 7:56

It is a shame this has to be mentioned at all. Especially if its on private property that the owners are kind enough to allow the public on. It is so easy to put any waste in a pocket or bag and take it back out with you.

Posted on: 12/21 8:59

PhiendWMD is right, it's unreal. For every guy out there that is doing the right thing and trying to look out for our natural resources there are 10 morons with the old “Can’t see it from my house” type of worm-dunker attitude. If I had a dollar for every time I have been walking down a stream and have had to pick up a cig butt or a blue can of death (Busch Light usually) I would have my own fly shop. It makes me sick…….. And this is why we can’t have nice things.

Posted on: 12/21 9:57

Is there any group that organizes an annual cleanup on Yellow Creek?

This is done on Spring Creek, Penns Creek, Little Juniata, Fishing Creek and many others.

Posted on: 12/21 10:07

From Cambria County
Troutbert, the Yellow Creek Coalition does stream cleanups as well as fundraisers to keep everything running down there. It's a great group of guys that do a lot.

Posted on: 12/21 10:16

From Monessen, PA
PSA: don't litter.

That having been said, people will do it anyway. So the rest of us should just pick it up and carry it out.

Simple solution to a vexing problem.

Posted on: 12/21 10:20

From Cambria County
That's not a solution, Jack. Accountability is the solution. I can't blame the guy fishing above me for the water bottles, but I know he was the chain smoker flinging butts everywhere he went. The tracks from his vehicle in the snow went right to a bench with a cigarette butt under it. Not to mention the 200 burn marks in his front seat. I left him a nice note explaining he was on private property and it's a good idea to take his smokes with him.

Posted on: 12/21 10:30

Agreed on all points. I especially applaud the Yellow Creek Coalition for its efforts to improve the Yellow Creek FFO area so that it can remain a public access area. This is a great group that has had to deal with donny the beaver and the spring ridge club making inroads on that creek through its representative, "forked tongue." If not for Fred Sherlock and the YCC, I believe much more of Yellow Creek would have disappeared behind posted signs. The YCC has at least one, maybe two, litter clean-up days each year.

Littering: The late Walt Rosser, the local WCO for whom I had great respect, told me more than once that litter was the number one reason that landowners posted.

I still pick up litter along streams I fish frequently; but, on a good note, there is not nearly as much as there was when I was younger.

Posted on: 12/21 10:51

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Railking wrote:
That's not a solution, Jack.

Not looking to argue, but I have a question. Is good people carrying it out easier to encourage than convincing bad people not to leave it behind? I think the former. Plus, posting here is probably reaching way more good people than bad people. Have a happy Holiday!

Posted on: 12/21 10:54

I think leaving a note was a good idea.

You might even contact the local WCO, and let him know the situation.

Even if the WCO is not able to catch the guy red-handed and fine him, if he knows who it is and what kind of vehicle he drives, he can just "have a talk" with him.

Posted on: 12/21 11:09

From Dauphin PA
Put me on the litterbug list. My butts typically go in the river (no forest fires that way). The only thing different is I smoke filterless so I put my hand in the water, snap my fingers and they are gone. Don't worry, I don't fish very often. Everything else goes with me and I usually grab any other junk I see.

Posted on: 12/21 17:34

From Pittsburgh
I've been fishing yellow creek for a long time - and can't really recall even seeing litter along it.
Hopefully, it was just a one time thing.
I do know that Fred and Charlie keep a pretty close watch on things there. And if the litterbug keeps doing it, they're likely find out who it is

Posted on: 12/22 22:25

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com