Took the skunk again

laszlo

laszlo

Fished Codorus today for about 1.5 hours and did not get a bump. In fact the last three times out there SKUNK,SKUNK,SKUNK. Has anyone caught a fish out there lately? Water was in excellent condition but no fish. I may head up to Letort tomorrow.

Was the snow melting when you were out? I've never done well at all under those conditions. Should be better soon!

The snow was all but gone, we only had about 2 inches. The temp was about 55, I was the only one there. I was hoping for some surface activity, but nothing.

I got the skunk too on the Little Schuylkill. Water was cold from snow melt. Feet sure felt it. Never saw the place so crowded.

I did well on Falling Spring. Stream choice is key during snow melt times.

Things will be normal real soon

I never flyfish during a sudden warmup because the snow melts, the water temps go down quickly and the trout stop feeding. I learned that from experience. You have to let the water temps stabilize a few days and then fish. Trout feed at cold temps too but the temps must be stable for a period of time.

I caught a few on big spring today, it was a beautiful day.

I started off the day on a Class A brook trout stream that has buffering issues. The stream is very close to a dirt road and the water was pouring in from the road and stream embankment because of an earlier snow melt. I didn't catch a thing. I moved to another Non-Class A stream about 2 miles from the other stream and did very well. Stream conditions, geology, etc. are all very similar on both streams with the difference being the second stream is off the road and has better buffering. On a normal day the first stream will out fish the second stream 10-1. Brook trout on freestones are not very picky so I believe this has to be the major contributing factor in this case and may be in many other similar situations.

i got the white stripe on the gunpowder - as did 4/5 other guys.

an old hand got one on a yellow woolly bugger with a red head.

i headed there as the tully and WCC were blown out. I should have realized about the snow melt...

parking lots were jammed at masemore and bunker hill.

its a pretty stream though and it was a lovely afternoon out.

Fished a spring creek and caught the only one i saw, had to dangle the fly in front of its nose.

Back