Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Too late for stockies?

From Shipp
Lots of stocked trout remaining in South Central PA.. I would imagine the same is true in SE PA. Find the holes a little ways off the beaten path.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 8:14

From West Chester
This past weekend was awesome for fishing SEPA, cool temps, good flows and willing stockies that are above average makes for good times. The best day was yesterday in the rain.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

Resized Image

All were taken on a copper john with a hares ear dropper or a size 10 black bugger with a PT dropper

Posted on: 2013/5/29 9:24

After Memorial Day is my favorite time of year to fly fish for stockies - particularly in standard regulation waters where the trout haven't seen tons of flies. The streams are fully stocked, the bait fishermen are gone, the weather is pleasant, and there are usually rising fish (especially at dusk). Once the water gets lower and clearer fly fishing can be more effective than metal lures or nightcrawlers and bait fisherman pressure doesn't mean much. Go for it.

How long it lasts is a function of the weather. In a cool, wet summer it can last all summer (i.e 2011); in a hot dry summer (i.e 2012) it can end in early June. Typically I have good luck until about July 4th. Trout have a way of finding good spots, so learn to find the good spots and don't worry about where the fish were stocked. When it gets warm PA has plenty of other options for fly fishermen. Smallies are the standard answer, but bass bugging is a traditional form of angling that is a blast and fly fishing for carp is challenging and fun for a different experience.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 12:36

From pottstown, pa
I love the color the rainbow stockies put on once they have been in for a while.

Posted on: 2013/5/29 17:43

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com