Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 26 »

Re: To count or not to count- that is the question.

From aliquippa
is that what i am ? i thought i was just plain stubborn.....lol

Posted on: 2010/2/11 15:18

From harlansburg
haven't counted in years. don't care to. just happy to be out, catching some is a bonus.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 15:45

From New Castle, PA
I know how many I catch. If it's a lot and i lose count, I still know within +-1 or 2 fish. Also, I can usually remember most of the fish and how I caught them if the fishing is not too fast and furious.

Additionally, I write it down afterwards in a log with the weather and water conditions. This info is useful for future trips.

Kevin

Posted on: 2010/2/11 16:43

From Berryville Virginia
I only count the first and the last. The same as I drink beer Honey only had 2 (the first and the last).

Joe E

Posted on: 2010/2/11 16:52

From Dallastown, PA
I count and have come to the conclusion that people who catch more than 500 trout/year are either liars or are way better than me at it. I am inclined to believe the former most often.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 16:58

From lancaster county
well Maurice i can see your point. Some people (me in the past) would make 200 trips a year. In that case i only need to catch 3 trout a trip to make 600. Certainly not impossible.

but i hear what yer sayin.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 17:16

i don't keep track usually , i tend to stay more focused on reading water , whats arround the next bend and if i fish with a buddy they usually keep track for ya

Posted on: 2010/2/11 18:20

From LV
I think from the standpoint of what edge it gives you, keeping track of stream conditions, weather, and hatches give you more information than pure numbers of fish. It is much more important to know whether you had a good day what you caught fish on in a particular stream because if you go back then you have some information about what to use and possibly what not to use. Writing it down as you fish would be a benefit, but writing it down at the end of the day, is probably easier.
However, I thought counting the fish and keeping track of the size of fish caught from the standpoint of hows the population doing.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 20:03

From Bozeman
It's probably because I have only been at it a decade, and seriously for a few years, but I remember conditions, flies, and locations from every notable outing I've ever had. Then again, I have gotten through life by having a good memory.

I will probably need to start at least taking some kind of notes eventually.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 20:06

From LV
Jack the fish are more likely to be up by the fallen log and under the tree roots, not necessarily where you would fish for them.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 20:15

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I count and have come to the conclusion that people who catch more than 500 trout/year are either liars or are way better than me at it.

I only did it once, a few years back. But its not that they're better than you. Just a different type of fishin. Total yearly fish is a more reliable indicator of the type of places you fish and how often you fish than an indicator of skill. 20-30 fish days add up real quick, and thats an average brookie day in June, but almost unheard of on a limestoner.

Last year I did 5 straight full days of fishing and averaged just under 40 per day. Anyone could have done it, it was easy. But thats how you rack up totals in a hurry. It makes up for an awful lot of 3 fish days on limestoners.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 20:35

your fish #'s depend on whether or not your working , laid off , retired , or whatever

Posted on: 2010/2/11 20:45

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Jack the fish are more likely to be up by the fallen log and under the tree roots, not necessarily where you would fish for them.

With all due respect to your superior knowledge of trout lies, I have been able to catch fish from such holes in at least 12 different locations and the most difficult lie that you mention is likely to hold a fish for that reason, though you or I will most likely spook it trying to get our fly to it. It will get a few casts, but not until I had tried at least 8-9 other lies first.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 21:19

From Harrisburg
Quote:
Last year I did 5 straight full days of fishing and averaged just under 40 per day. Anyone could have done it, it was easy. But thats how you rack up totals in a hurry. It makes up for an awful lot of 3 fish days on limestoners.

Thats what came to my mind. Took over 200 in a week between Stony and Clarks and about a week later I took 120some in 3 days between Spring and the best day on Elk creek I ever had.
Those limestoners are just a TAD different from the ones down here in south central though. But that was 1/3 of the way to a thousand right there. I'm pretty confident I made it. That year the Breeches was on fire all year long. 2005-2006?
I also dont have kids in the house anymore or honey-do lists either.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 21:27

[quote]
salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

When fishing small wild trout streams, i fish very very fast. [quote]

Me too. Have you ever tried to estimate how fast you fish on those streams? I'm not sure, this is a VERY rough estimate, but I think it might be around 1/2 mile per hour. About 2 miles in 4 hours, or 3 miles in 6 hours. Does that sound about right?

Posted on: 2010/2/11 21:38

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com