Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 »

Re: To count or not to count- that is the question.

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I counts seven casts from forground to the imaginary line that joins the two streamside trees on opposite banks.

It's a nice hole, and I caught a hoss out of it (which is why I remember it so well). My casts were:

1. To the long deep tailout, made from a few steps downstream of the camera. No luck.

2. From just to the left of the camera location, I snuck a curve cast around the tree base on the left, right throught that little window and into the current, keeping the fly line off of the good water. I got a perfect drift right round the tree and then the deep water below it. I was both proud of the cast I just made, and dumbfounded that it didn't result in a fish. So....

3. I repeated #2 exactly. Then I took the picture.

4. Discouraged, I threw a cast under the stick hanging out just above the right stump. Bang. He hit as soon as it hit the water and subsequently hung me in the stick. I waded up there to free him and took the following picture.

5. I would have normally made a cast to the head of the pool, but since I waded there to get to the fish, I skipped it.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2010/2/26 9:41

From lancaster county
nice fish! Your cast 2 is exactly what i showed on my cast #4.

Im shocked he wasent there also

Posted on: 2010/2/26 9:44

From lancaster county
I will add:

Often i work the first few holes harder than others. It is important to figure a few things out.

1. where are the fish holding in these holes? The middle, the edges or around structure?

Then concentrate on these areas.

2. How are they taking the fly? Streaming or dead drifting?

After that im flyin

Posted on: 2010/2/26 9:47

Ok, I did some work in paint again.

I'm not saying this is the best plan, this is just how I did it. Cast #4 caught the fish, and he hit as soon as it hit the water, so it wasn't carried to completion. Planned cast #5 was not completed because I waded up to it to land cast #4. Again, I fully expected #2 and #3 to be the money shot, but it was #4. I expect the high water had something to do with that, he was out in a feeding lane instead of holding to cover.

Attach file:

jpg  holeplan.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/2/26 9:55

From Chester County
Actually, one of the things I like best about fishing small wild brookie streams, is you can use a dry almost any time and they will hammer it all day.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 10:00

By the way Sal, this was a little olive streamer, black beadhead with an orange collar, white fins. The intent of the tie was to look like a little brook trout (despite reading to the contrary I think my personal observations have shown that brook trout ARE cannibals). I do fish them drifted like a dry, though. Sometimes I'll give it a little twitch. I usually use dries, but this was early April. Opening day for the SE region, in fact. Water was very high.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 10:18

From Bozeman
Yep. I consider brookie fishing to be one of the only times that I can use a dry fly all day.

On 2x tippet.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 10:19

From lancaster county
Ahhh

I see you changed angles on the hole. Very nice work

Posted on: 2010/2/26 10:20

From Chester County
I painted the dead and likely unproductive water. All your drifts were in the current following the bubble line. All your casts/drifts were "money" casts as you put it, very efficient. The advantage that Sal would have with his bugger is that he can fish more of the water effectively since he's not concerned with getting a good drift.

Great things to ponder while watching a snowstorm out my window.

Attach file:

jpg  PC Casts 1.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/2/26 10:21

From South Central PA
pcray that is a fine char, and that whole area is the kind that would make me purse my lips in anticipation, maybe even salivate a little.

If I was diagramming it, your cast # 4 would have to go on top of that little limb over the stream, since the chances are better than 50/50 that's where my dry fly would have gotten stuck (and if someone was with me, attributed to getting old and poor eyesight)

Posted on: 2010/2/26 10:29

From Monessen, PA
I love the telestration that is being generated. You guys all fished to trout above my imaginary line (yellow). My casts are shown is blue, the fly lands and drifts in green. I would approach the areas above the yellow line after I finished these casts.

Oh, and, yes, I am thinking only of casting dries. This time of year, perhaps a march brown or green drake pattern.

Attach file:

jpg  mycasts.JPG (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2010/2/26 10:47

-- Leo Tolstoy

Quote:
All your casts/drifts were "money" casts as you put it, very efficient.

Thats where Jack differs. He wants to get every fish. I want to make each cast as efficient as possible and cover ground.

People talk about fishing motivations such as size, numbers, difficulty, solving a puzzle, etc. All of that has its place, but when it comes right down to it, none of those are spot on. It's exploration, thats my motivation. I assume lots of guys liked looking at these pictures and figuring out an approach. I did too. It's even better to do it. The more ground you cover, the more new holes you get to figure out. It's that simple.

Think of it like a round of golf, where your goal is not to finish with the best score, but rather to play as many holes as possible. If you can play two 18 round courses in a day, and hit 230 shots total, thats better than the guy who lined up each shot oh so carefully and hit a 35 on only 9 holes. He may have got more out of each hole, and technically played better than me, but I got a lot more new puzzles to work with.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 10:56

So Jack, to hold to your "below the yellow line" criteria, I threw only 1 cast where you threw 8.

Yes, my cast #4 would have made it 2 in that area, but it never got there.

Posted on: 2010/2/26 15:40

From Chester County
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:

People talk about fishing motivations such as size, numbers, difficulty, solving a puzzle, etc. All of that has its place, but when it comes right down to it, none of those are spot on. It's exploration, thats my motivation. I assume lots of guys liked looking at these pictures and figuring out an approach. I did too. It's even better to do it. The more ground you cover, the more new holes you get to figure out. It's that simple.

PC, I never really thought about it much, but I guess I have 3 speeds. The one you describe above would be my exploring speed. I usually do that on new water. I fire a cast or two in prime spots and keep moving, trying to cover as much water as possible and check out the stream. After exploring, if I like what I saw, I would return to the stream and fish the best section I found more thoroughly.

My next speed would be the fishing speed (Jacks's speed), where I cover the water on each decent looking spot fairly well before moving on. Another factor is, since I live and fish a lot in the SE near urban areas, I often I have only a mile or so of water to fish, so I try get the most out of the mile.

My last speed is the sit on my butt speed. I may cast a few times, here and there in between sitting on the bank and enjoying the day by looking a the scenery, the water and the fish. I may spend an hour or two in just one hole trying to catch a few rising fish. Also, that's usually when my WaWa hoagie and Tastykake come into play.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 6:51

From Monessen, PA
Good point afish, while I doubt I ever reach pc's "exploration speed," I do sometimes quickly sample a stream, rather than work each potential lie. Though, even when "sampling" a stream, I think it pays to stop and do a little thorough exploration of a small section, just to be sure that your sampling technique is really the most efficient at determining whether and where the fish are.

Posted on: 2010/2/27 7:31

-- Leo Tolstoy

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com