Tips for beginner?

J

jpb5002

I have been bait fishing for about a year. Mostly for trout in the streams around the Pittsburgh area. I have been wanting to start fly fishing for the past couple months. I bought a few books and talked to a few fly fishermen around the streams. I don't know anyone that has fly fishing gear, and I would like to try it before I spend lots of money. I have everything I need for wading (waders, boots, vest, etc.) but I don't know what to buy as far as rod, reel, line, etc. Basically, how do I get started?

I would buy a cheap fly rod first. You really don't need anything expensive to get started. You don't need anything expensive when you are experienced either. I think the perfect starter rod would be a 5wt 8 1/2 ft. rod. I started on that size rod and the whole thing cost me under $100. It was a combo deal through Cortland. It came with a rod, reel, line, leader and even a case. I still use this rod for smallie fishing.

I would then just read a lot!!! I would also cast the rod in your back yard to get the feel before you go fishing. It is going to take time, but it is fun learning (most of the time). I have been fly fishing for 7 years and I still think I am a novice. I catch fish, but I still learn new things all the time. Also, this website offers lots of information and tips. It has helped me out a lot!! Go have fun and remember you don't need to spend a lot of money to fly fish. If fly fishing isn't for you, at least you didn't buy an expensive rod.

Troy

I would buy a used rod and reel. I would find a club or talk to your local flyshop for some folks who can give you some pointers. I associate fly fishing to learning golf. Meaning it will take a few years and there is never a lack of techniques to learn and improve. You will really see what fishing is like. You can use the internet for alot of research. Knots, leaders tactics etc.. can be found online. Ok start googling and good luck.

I bought a cheap rod and reel combo at wal-mart or Dick's when I started. I found that the slower action of that rod seemed to be a good casting teacher.

I believe the rod was around $40... I believe it was a Fenwick 5/6 weight.

For the reel, I got whatever cheapie they had. Get a cheap double taper 6 weight line and some leaders and you're ready to go. I'd say you could get a basic beginners "trial" setup for around $100... and catch trout with it too.

Try to find an experienced fly fisher to take you out. Also, pick up some small stimulator patterns (about a 16 is good) and hit the local creek or pond for panfish. It's much easier than catching trout, and will help you get the hang of setting the hook.

I got my first setup in WalMart (not so long ago). It was either $29.99 or $39.99. If I'm not mistaken, it was Eagle Claw - Fiberglass fly rod, click-paw reel, level line, leader and a half dozen ugly flies all in a single package. You could use this to learn then get better equipment and keep this setup as a backup. Now that I have acquired other rods, this one is a 3rd stringer but if I needed to use it, I would and I'd be able to catch fish.

Basically, it looked something like this:
41JA0F4MMNL._SS500_.jpg

Thank you all very much. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the coming months.

Why don't you support your local fly shop rather than the big box stores.... the shops need your help staying in business and you will need their help with local info and setting up that "big box" stores fly rod combo.

Back