Tippet to fly size

robbie514

robbie514

What are the upper and lower extremes to what size flies you can put on what size tippets? Like what is the absolutely largest and smallest fly you can put on a 6X tippet? Thank you for any info.

six X is the smallest i go!

Just for giggles, I did a web search and found a fly to tippet chart on Orvis' site. They say 6X is to be used for sizes 16, 18, 20, and 22.

Take the size of the fly, and divide that # by 3.

For example, if the fly is a size 18, divide by three, and you get 6(X).

This rule was developed to match (roughly) the tippet thickness to the hook wire thickness. It enables a standard clinch knot to hold well.

If you use a lighter tippet than what that "Rule of 3" calls for, an improved clinch knot is a better knot choice.

Thank you for the info. Do you think I can stretch that chart to a size 14 fly or to size 24?

Dear Board,

Honestly you can use either 3 or 4 as the divisor when figuring tippet size.

For those oddball hook sizes that don't exactly fit into the range I use 4 as the divisor and round up, ex. a size 14 fly is typically well suited to 4X tippet.

What really matters is the bulk/wind resistance of the fly.

By that I mean a heavily hackled fly may work better on the next larger sized tippet. You'll know quickly if you make a few casts and find that your tippet section is getting twisted.

A well constructed leader allows you to usually use larger tippet sizes.

When you think that you are trying to fool a quarry with a brain the size of a pea it doesn't make much sense to sweat tippet size.

A properly placed cast with a good drag free drift will get you fish, regardless of the tippet size you are using.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Thank you, this helped a lot.

A properly placed cast with a good drag free drift will get you fish, regardless of the tippet size you are using.

Thats always been my philosophy on the matter.

Back