Tiger trout color variation

albatross

albatross

I fought the snow showers this afternoon on Loyalhanna Creek in Westmoreland County and was rewarded with two trout. The first an ordinary fall stocked rainbow, but the second was something different. He threw the hook and slipped away before I got a real good look, but it was a fish like I've never seen before. At first I thought it was a brown, then I thought it was a brookie, then a tiger. I've caught a few tigers before and I remember them all to be kind of green colored. This fish had more vibrant colors but seemed to have that distinctive wormy pattern on its back and sides. I'd call the color maybe burnt orange.

Maybe tiger trout color up for the fall? Anyone have any insight?

I caught a beautifully colored tiger trout of about 15 inches in length in Dunbar Creek a few months ago. I could kick myself for not having my camera with me. I can't really remember if it had a greenish tint, but it had a fire orange color around the lower part of its belly - just like I've seen brookies get. A really beautiful fish

I caught one last year from a creek where all the trout I was catching were colored (browns), but it was bright as a dime. I just assumed that this was because they were sterile, being hybrids and all, but I could be wrong. I'd imagine they would get colored to the stream, but I don't think they take on spawning colors.

Boyer

At least with brook trout and brown trout, the male of the species gets more "colored up" in the fall than the female. Sometimes the female will be white on the belly and silvery on the sides while the males can get from butter yellow to bright orange or even Red (with brook trout).

Just because they(tiger trout)cannot breed successfully doesn't mean thay don't have male and female characteristics.

Boyer, you probably caught a female tiger.

The worm like patterns (vermiculations) can carry all the way down the side on tiger trout whereas they fade to spots on brook trout.

I thought of that Mo, but even the females I caught that day had a yellowy tinge, this guy (or gal) was quite silver and the only fish I caught all day without some type of color. Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure it was a female, as it was over 20" with no visible kype, so that might explain it nicely. Thanks.

Boyer

Mo is correct that the vermiculations extend down the flanks on tigers and I think this is the most reliable indicator of one. I have seen some tiger trout in the fall with very pretty orange flanks and dark bellies like you see on large male brook trout or big browns from Great Lakes tribs.

Back