Tie or buy?

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

The biggest question in fly fishing...do you tie or buy your flies? weigh in if you wish, and explain why. I personally tie, simply because it's cheaper and a lot more adaptable.

Will buy samples (usually area specific), but tie everything I fish.

Both. I'm a bad fly tier, but I do tie. I tie the easy ones, buy the tough ones.

And sometimes when I want to learn a new fly, I buy a few as examples. Also, I tend not to tie on fishing trips where I'm away from the house for extended periods, so if I run out of something I often buy more even if I could tie it.

I tie ultra simple flies, buy some, and have a third way: trading gear to PAFFers who can tie great flies, and getting high quality flies just as I like them.

You'll put out some money when you first get into tying.
But in the long run, it's cheaper to tie your own flies.
And a lot more satisfying to catch fish on flies you make yourself IMO.

On lengthy fishing trips, I take my tying box with me. And have would up tying on the tailgate of my pickup a few times.

Tied the little ones,bought the larger ones,except woolly buggers.
Tying the larger streamers to catch fish was easy but I could not fish crappy looking flies.It bugged me-lol

I tie almost everything I use.
I will buy if I go smeplace that a special local fly works best at.
Then I will see how well it works on my home waters and if it is good, I will tie them too.

Tying. I thought I'd save money, or something...

Buy, iv tied some but done have the time any more. I do what to get back into tying the bigger flys like wooly buggers. Some time i will but until then i will buy.

I haven't bought a fly in about 3-4 years. Even if some of my flies look like crap, that just makes me want to make them better. The only reason I have contemplated buying recently is time. Got a little one at home and the time usually spent at the vise is now spent with her.
Also if I went on a trip to someplace out of the ordinary... out West, Alaska, etc. I would probably buy at least a handful of flies due to the large amount of "new" flies needed and the time it would take to fill the boxes.... especially hoppers... I HATE tying hoppers.

Ryan

I tie all the basic/standard streamers, nymphs, and dries that I fish.

I evaluate on a pattern by pattern basis for everything else by using the rule of 3 - If I have to go purchase 3 or more materials to tie a specific pattern, I just buy the finished fly. If I can tie a pattern with what I already have plus 1 or 2 purchased materials I take a crack at the tie and add to my inventory.

Note: I've been tying for less than 1 year and have not built up inventory, so most recipe's I see require the purchase of "ingredients."

anybody that says "tying flies saves money" is lying to himself, or to his wife.

If you fish enough (with clients!) tying is definitely cheaper. For those that don't fish much, or lose much then maybe tying isn't the answer.

I tie, and have realized that since i started tying (which is about the same time i started FF) is when I really started to be more addicted to the sport - just something about fooling a large wild brown on something you created.

i tie almost every day of the year. some days it's only one fly. other days it's 4 dozen.
if you factor in:
equipment
hooks
materials
time - not just spent on the one or twelve flies, but also the time spent reading about a fly or watching a video...
then check out the discount on-line fly sellers -
$.99 a fly is CHEAP

I tie all of my own (and most of my friends).

I can't bring myself to pay $2 for a fly, or even 50 cents from online places.

But yeah, I'm not saving any money. I don't lose many flies in a year, but spend enough on tying materials.

I have enough stuff to start my own fly shop. (and still want more)

I "roll my own." I must admit that I question whether I save money tying my own flies. I used to go into a fly shop and see materials of interest saying to myself "I need to try this." I always had a application for a material in mind. Getting behind the vise to experiment with said material(s) was something that just didn't happen as I had planned. Time, procrastination, whatever; something always got in the way of my good intentions. It was amazing all the materials I've accumulated. And I still don't feel I have enough.

As I've grown older I've settled on most of the pattern styles I tie and fish. I'm a finnicky old codger and I just can't find the flies available in shops that I want to fish. With time at the vise I can tie the patterns I want. If I'm out on the stream and pick up a rock or capture a natural critter I can sit down at the vise and put my materials choices and techniques to apply those materials to a hook to work. Of course, the final judge as to the effectiveness of any fly is the fish; however, if the fish judges in my favor there's really nothing like the feeling of satisfaction that follows.

Dave R.

I tie, because it is part of the experience for me.

I tie because everything is new and fun to me. The only thing I would buy right now would be some very large streamers, just because I do not have the materials.

Back