Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Ticks

I am in the medical biz and I can give you some info on ticks and Lyme's disease.

YES, there is Lyme's around here and it is actually very common in PA, MD, and northeastern states. The tick that carries Lymes is NOT the dog tick that you can actually see, it is the Deer tick which is very very small. Dog ticks are typically about the size of a match head and have the characteristic white patch on the back. The deer tick is roughly 1/4 the size of a dog tick.

Ticks actually have to stay attached 24 hours or more to transmit Lyme's disease, ANYTHING LESS THAN 24HRS AND YOU ARE OK. If the bite of the tick flares do not be alarmed, the characteristic "bull's eye" rash of Lymes only occurs in roughly 20%, typically a week after the bite. The rash that typically accompanies most insect bites is merely cellulitis, which is a superficial infection of the skin and it is easily treated. Cellulitis is characterized by an area that swells rapidly, is painful, itches, becomes red and warm to the touch. As for Lyme's treatment typically someone who displays a reaction from a tick bite will get either a single dose of Doxycycline or a 14-21 day course depending on what symptoms they present with.

As for other things that you can get from ticks in this area. You can get Rocky Moutain Spotted Fever, although it is very rare. The name Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is actually a misnomer because the southeastern states, especially the Carolinas and VA are common places to get RMSF and it is rare in the western states. RMSF presents with a rash that appears as spots on your palms and the souls of your feet and the rash typically causes the skin to shed on your hands, also you will have a fever and muscle aches.

You can also get a disease called Babesiosis from tick bites in this area, almost entirely on the coastal regions of New England states (Nantucket and MV especially) and New Jersey's coastal areas. This disease is easily treated but can cause a disorder that is similar to a mild malarial infection.

AND FOR ALL YOU RABBIT HUNTERS OUT THERE, you can get a disease called Tularemia, from a bacteria that is carried by rabbits. If you have recently bagged a few rabbits and become ill a few days after gutting them, you should head to the doctor.

Posted on: 2007/4/4 20:30

From Greensburg, PA
Wmass's post made me go and re-read my earlier post and the info in the link. Below is bugger responsible for lymes disease, not the lonestar.

Here is an interesting clip from the description wihtin the link:

"Blacklegged tick

Ixodes scapularis
Distribution: Ixodes scapularis is found throughout the eastern United States and in parts of the northern mid-west in wooded, brushy locations. It has been expanding its range in recent years and can now be found in most of the counties in Pennsylvania. Three areas of the state are heavily infested: (1) the southeastern portion of Pennsylvania (in those counties southeast of a line through Wayne to Adams counties) (2) the north central counties of Elk, Clearfield and Cameron; and (3) Presque Isle in Erie county."

Here is what it would look like if you could see it with the naked eye...

Attach file:

jpg  blacklegged_Tick.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2007/4/4 21:18

I have never had a tick on me until I went to assateague. I always calked it up to my natural funk. I don't think that they are as prevalent in SW PA as they are in SE PA, at least in my corner of SW PA.

Like I said I had one on me in Assateague and pulled the truck off the raod and went apesh1t ripping cloths off and checking cause they were all over me (i waded into the muck to get a picture of the horses). Next thing you know I had about a dozen people snapping pictures of me in my flailing panic

FYI
Don't ever remove a tick by plucking it out. That injects all of its crapola back into you (ugh). Stick a match by its but and it will pop out.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 6:48

From Berryville Virginia
It is just a natural part of life here. You tick checks yourself, the kids and the dogs daily. Some years they are better than others. I like bad winters for that reason. If it gets warm then a hard freeze and ice, it will do a number on the tick (hopefully) population. I have been tested for lyme’s disease several times in the past few years because of my joint problems and have tested negative. If you have a tick that is attached, removing them properly will help reduce infection because you do not want to break the head off inside. The main thing to watch the bit area for the signs of potential lyme disease and symptoms. The little ticks are the one’s I hate, hard to see and find.

Joe E

Posted on: 2007/4/5 7:28

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
bugs dont like me cause i eat alot of garlic, cayenne pepper..seems they dont like the taste...

Posted on: 2007/4/5 8:38

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Pine Grove
When I was a kid we used to spend a good deal of the summer camping in the mountains and never saw a tick. Not one. We slept outside without tents, and the only things we knew about ticks was what we read in our boy scout manuals. Now I hunt grouse and fish brookies in the same section of mountain and literally, quite literally, stop to pick about 5 ticks off of my pantslegs every 15-20 minutes. It's absolutely insane. I thought I was just tastey, but after taking a few friends hunting they all said the same thing. They were never going back there. Girls! I can't help but wonder if the fact that there were relatively few bobcats and almost no coyote, but now there are thriving populations of both, might have in some way contributed to this. On a side note anybody that wants the location of my favorite brookie stream is welcome to PM me. I'll give it up in a heartbeat, just not in public.

Boyer

Posted on: 2007/4/5 9:28

From Gettysburg
Here in SC Pa Lyme Disease is a very real threat. Several of my friends have had it and my sister got it in Pittsburgh from a tick that latched on to her in Frick Park. Although I see a lot more of the large dog ticks, the tiny deer ticks are common too. A few years ago I discovered a clothing treatment for sale at the clothing store at Ft Benning GA that you apply to your clothes to keep ticks and other bugs off. This treatment goes by brand names like Durannon and has the active ingredient permethrin. You spray your clothes and shoes and it repels/kills ticks. They say it lasts on the clothes for months although I treat my boots about every two weeks in summer. I treat my fishing vest a couple times per year. Since using this stuff I almost never get ticks on me anymore.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 16:26

From LV
Nearly every county in the state has occurances of lyme disease, it is a real epidemic and it seems to very little "air time." There is far more likelyhood of getting lyme disease then the bird flu yet no one is even working on a vaccine for lyme disease. I know quite a few people that have it, of course if you're JackM this is only anecdotal evidence and should be taken with a grain of salt, but the bottom line is every time you go out side take a shower when you get back, it's your best defense against getting lyme disease.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 16:43

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:.... of course if you're JackM this is only anecdotal evidence and should be taken with a grain of salt....

If the Center for Disease Control published a report saying that Lyme occurred in less than 1/100th of the cases of tick bites, I would bet you and a few others would deny it because a friend of your cousin's barber had a contrary experience.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 16:58

-- Leo Tolstoy

From philadelphia
Can I put a Large for Dogs.

Flea and Tick collar around my ankle to keep them away?
Or are the chemicals inside them not good for me?

Posted on: 2007/4/5 21:49

Again, having some experience in the medical field I can tell you that there is no chance of getting Lyme's disease if you pull the tick off in the first 24hours. YOU HAVE NO CHANCE! So, the best way to avoid Lyme's disease is to simply check yourself at the end of every fishing/hunting jaunt into the woods.

PS- I forgot to mention one sorta cool thing that can happen to you after a tick bite. Ticks carry a toxin in their saliva that can cause a form of paralysis that ascends from the site of the bite up until you are paralyzed. The paralysis is only temporary (24-72hrs) but there are apparently case reports of people having to be ventilator-dependent until the toxin wears off.

Posted on: 2007/4/5 22:03

From Southeast PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
....but the bottom line is every time you go out side take a shower when you get back, it's your best defense against getting lyme disease.

EVERY time you go out??? Sounds a bit too much like Monk (Tony Shaloob) to me!
Quote:

Wmass wrote:
Ticks carry a toxin in their saliva that can cause a form of paralysis that ascends from the site of the bite up until you are paralyzed. The paralysis is only temporary (24-72hrs) but there are apparently case reports of people having to be ventilator-dependent until the toxin wears off.

Hopefully no one will bury you before you come to (Spider bite episode on "Lost" a couple weeks ago).

Obviously I've been watching too much TV and not fishing enough recently!

My son got Lyme's last year. Don't want to tell you where the tick was. Had the red target mark and got symptoms, like the flu and very achy muscles. Treated by doctor and recovered fine.

Posted on: 2007/4/6 8:00

My little Am. Water Spaniel allegedly caught lyme disease, she was 2 y.o. and could not climb up the steps, L sided facial droop, Asymmetrical tongue and joint weakness that would migrate side to side and front to back. It was aweful, she was vaccinated against Lyme, but still was symptomatic and tested postive for lyme. We had her on the prescribed doxycycline (Sp?) for 9 months with no significant change. We scheduled her at NC state ($1000 just to get in the door) for work up, took her off the Doxy a week prior per their orders, AND she recovered fully. Saved $1000 +, I guess it was the threat of going to a big time vet that did the trick. The dangdest thing, now a wild thing again, even caught a squirrel on the run in front of my wife the other day. I bet you all in PA could of heard the shrieking....

Posted on: 2007/4/6 9:27

From Lock Haven, PA
My brother one time in turkey season had over 30 ticks on him. We've been fishing Cedar Run in Clinton County before and had 15 or so on us. Ticks are just part of fishing anymore. When I was a kid we didn't have them but about 6 or 7 years ago they are everywhere! I blame it on the lack of deer. They lost their hosts so now they have to come find humans. My advice is watch where you leave your clothes from fishing and make sure to take a shower whenever u come home. I still fear the copperheads more then the ticks and rattlers.

Posted on: 2007/4/6 19:48

From SE Pa.
And you do not bathe on a regular basis either Sandy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2007/4/6 22:40

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com