Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Those Dumb Stockies

From Sweet Valley
Well, I usually only fish on local stocked streams a couple times a year and with the recent rain 6 Mile Run was looking great. I parked at a pulloff, first time I have ever fished there, walked up to the stream, pulled line out of my 9ft rod and just threw it in with my hand because the brush was so tight.

My fly hit the water maybe three feet infront of me and WHAM a big trout nails my prince nymph. I land it and just laugh. After I release it, I see it go to its holding spot in the middle of the stream and I decided that I would see just how uneducated this fish was. I did the same thing, threw my line out and WHAM once again. This time I get too excited as I see this fish coming for my fly and set the hook to eagerly and miss the fish. OK, well if it did it twice why not three times?

Do the same thing a THIRD TIME and wham fish hits AGAIN, I land the fish and just laugh to myself for a few minutes. As I am laughing a guy walks behind me and the way he was looking at me, he definitely thought I was crazy for laughing by myself on the stream side and promptly left the area.

So I guess while I thought the fish was uneducated, the other angler definetly thought I was as well.

After a successfull day of catching fish, I pointed a couple anglers with children to the nice brookie and after about 5 minutes one of the little guys hooked and caught his first fish of the year.

So all in all a great day and but the best part was seeing the first trout of the year for a extremely excited little kid.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 10:00

Re: Those Dumb Stockies

From Clearfield
This is a great stream. I know I'm going to sound like a curmudgeon, but I really wish they wouldn't stock that stream. It would be an excellent class A for sure. But... it is nice to hear about kids catching their fist trout of the year.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 10:15

From Sweet Valley
I caught my fair share of 2-3 inch wild browns and native brookies in my few hours of experience on that stream. Funny thing was, I went on over to the delayed harvest on Black Mo and though very crowded, at least half the fish I caught were wild or natives.

I usually take pictures of fish but for those little natives I try to get them back in the water ASAP so no photographic evidence but they are there. Although I am sure anybody who has nymphed those streams has realized that already.

After you catch a 17 inch stockie and then a 3 inch brookie within 50 ft of each other, you just feel bad for the native.

6 Mile is really the sort of stream that screams wild/native fish live here. I wouldn't mind seeing what it looked like without stockies in it.

But then again, I bet if I said that at Philipsburg Uni Mart I wouldn't make it out alive!

Posted on: 2013/4/23 11:21

From Clearfield
Quote:

allan_s wrote:
But then again, I bet if I said that at Philipsburg Uni Mart I wouldn't make it out alive!

Yep!

I have fished it in late summer and hit the trifecta there. Brookie and Brown wild. Rainbow was stocked. There are bigger wild browns in there also.

Posted on: 2013/4/23 11:58

From Philadelphia PA
What was the weather like prior to that day? This maybe the answer to why the fish hit time and time again. It is good to know that your presentation was right on. Maybe you should have gotten the hint on the second time, that it was time to take that one home! That trout was probably saying........That Dumb ............

Posted on: 2013/4/24 11:42
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Sweet Valley
I would like to ammend this title. I decided with my recent stocky luck to fish on Bald Eagle Creek in Centre County yesterday, to correspond with the stockings. The first time I have fished it in about 5-6 years. Not a single hit in 3 hours. I walked to Spring Creek and caught 5 in 15 minutes as it got dark. 10 of those minutes were spent untangling my three nymph mess catching 4th one created. So in order to change my Karma, I would like to name this: The smartest fish in the world are dropped off by big white trucks.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 11:45

From Sweet Valley
Pennypack Flyer the weather was overcast and the water had just a little color, so just about perfect conditions for me. I agree with you 100% that I should have just kept it, not sure what I was thinking lol

The fish didn't last too much longer, the child who caught it had it on a stringer was planning on eating it for dinner!

Posted on: 2013/4/24 11:50

From Central, PA

Thats because they want pellets to eat not real stream food lamsso

Posted on: 2013/4/26 10:10

From Richfield, PA
You shoulda nymphed with cigeratte butts.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 16:59
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com