This Weekend fishing!

B

BTflyman

Hello all! Well i am doing a first and going fly fishing in January. I guess you can't call it a harsh winter but have to love the weather to get outside. My question is this: I will be fishing some of the lehigh valley limestoners (doubtful the Little Lehigh) but I assume this is "nymphing time". I am not sure what to use...I know buggers are always good but is it a bad time for pheasant tails or hares ear? Also Anything on top? Any info would really be appreciated.

midges will be hatching on warmer days and trout will take griffith's gnats on top. PT's are good, also caddis larva and some bigger stone fly's.

I don't know how much snowmelt there is in that part of the state, but the central PA streams will be pretty high this weekend. Spring should be fishable as always. There is still snow up on the mountains, so water temps will probably be pretty cold even if the air temperatures are warm.

We got hammered with rain earlier today. LL is at 300 and most likely chocolate milk. You might be ok later on Sunday. If you can find some clearer water...

nymphing:
-Small PTs and HEs, 18-20

-midges 22-26 - fish them up and down the water column until you find the sweet spot for the depth. Been having luck with red discos and rojos, and black glass bead ones with flashabou ribbing.

-eggs

Surface:
-Griffiths gnats 18-24
-dark green BWOs in size 20 (if it gets a little cloudy or drizzly, look for them)
-black hackle midges 20-24
-any cdc emerger midge as a trailer
-al's rats

You're gonna have a tough time with water levels and sluggish fish, its bad enough its been cold keeping the trout a little less active, but the higher water is gonna make it that much tougher.

Good luck if you get out though. Dub's advice is pretty good, I'd just add a few bigger nymphs to that list and streamers if the water is indeed higher.

I really appreciate the info! Might have to wait until Sunday afternoon anyways. I really have the itch!

Fished a LV stream today and landed 4 in about 2 hours. Water was just right for nymphing, off color but not too high. Hope you got out too. Let us know how you did.

Back