Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: They're here

From Johnstown, PA
I"ll bet Clarks creek is crazy , those things have to be there if they are in Fishing creek valley unless i got the wrong county. There used to be a cricket migration on Clarks maybe still is but right before dark they would jump in and swim the widthof the creek to get to the one that was singin thier song it was awesome and the strikes were like sharks...........PaulG do you remember that?

Posted on: 2013/6/2 15:43

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
I would think they're long overdue to have emerged in SEPA by now. I can't imagine that surface soil temps aren't long past 64 degrees.

It's not the surface soil temps, it is the soil temps at a certain depth (roughly around eight inches). Additionally, the soil temps don't need to just hit 64, they need to be sustained at 64 for a bit -- enough time for the body temperature of the nymph to reach 64.

In several locations, this latest heat wave was the first to put soil temps over that point for an extended period of time.

That said, there have been numerous recent sightings in central PA. DC and NYC have had them for weeks.

The question seems to be whether central PA will see higher numbers that it is seeing right now and whether the fish will start keying on them.

I'm trying to pick some target streams to explore this week with some cicada flies. Suggestions are welcome.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 15:50

From Harrisburg
Dear Greenlander,

They are everywhere around my home now, and that includes Clarks and Stony Creek valleys. I must have splattered 20 - 30 of them against my windshield the last two days.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/6/2 15:53
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Greenlander,

They are everywhere around my home now, and that includes Clarks and Stony Creek valleys. I must have splattered 20 - 30 of them against my windshield the last two days.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

I guess I'm headed to Clarks this week, then. Unless there's a better target in the area.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 19:45

I have n't seen or heard any in the Lehigh Valley,has anyone seen any here?

Posted on: 2013/6/2 22:58

From Mount Joy, PA
I'm cautiously optimistic that things will "heat up" soon, but I haven't heard any activity in my neck of the woods...

Posted on: 2013/6/2 23:46

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Nothing here in the lower Poconos.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 23:49

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Eastern PA
Still random around Reading area.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 1:04

From Ephrata, PA
Nothing in northern Lancaster yet, but I'll be heading out into the Furnace Hills area this evening where the hatch was heavy last time around. I'll let you know!

Posted on: 2013/6/3 8:09

From Lancaster Co.
Haven't seen one. Was in Lancaster Country Park yesterday doing the warm water thing. Nada. There was a sporadic cahill hatch coming off.

Read an article on PennLive that said not to expect them west of the Susquehanna.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 9:05

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

McSneek wrote:

Read an article on PennLive that said not to expect them west of the Susquehanna.

Yeah, all of the sightings that I've seen reported thus far in SC PA have been east of the Susquehanna. I meant to note that yesterday, but forgot.

This brood isn't expected in Cumberland, York, Juniata, Franklin, Centre, etc counties. No Wayne county, either, sadly.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 11:38

I spent some time on Clarks Creek today. The ridge to the North of Clarks Creek is thick with Cicadas. I couldn't find a stretch of stream that had decent activity (checked 3 different stretches of water). I saw one or two flying about while I fished, but the heavy activity was on the ridges on either side of the stream. I didn't bother fishing a cicada pattern and did fine using a caddis.

I headed over to the Stony Creek area on my way home. Nothing doing there. In one spot I could hear cicadas, but they were well off in the distance and not on the streamside of the road.

I'm guessing they've emerged wherever they are going to emerge in PA, and am not optimistic about fishing them.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 17:46

Plenty in my yard in Carbon County.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 18:53

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Well I do not know where you are in Carbon County, but they are nowhere near Bowmanstown, Parryville, and Lehighton.

Posted on: 2013/6/3 21:10

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Schuylkill County
Coworkers have lots of them in lake hauto area

Posted on: 2013/6/3 21:34
if you look at it right...

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com