These are the days...

djs12354

djs12354

When I regret that my grandchildren are so far away from me. They live in Detroit, while I'm here in NEPA.
I'm thinking of how my Grandfather stepped up in the absence of my father and took my brother and I out every Opening Day as long as I was able to remember.
I'm hoping that I get some opportunity to take our grandchildren out on the water and introduce them to fishing.
For those of you that are able to be out today with your children and grandchildren - Enjoy the day, make sure that they do. You'll never regret the time you spend with them and I envy you the opportunity.

Tight Lines and big smiles for the kids. (and parents/grandparents too)

Dave

Good thought djs.

My father is very ill right now. When I visit him and we talk, the greatest memories we both recall were the times we spent fishing together.

My grand-daughter is in Md, she's 9 1/2 months old, I wish we lived closer. But she's here this weekend for our family spring shoot, camping, cooking on the fire, lots of shooting of course, 3 d archery this year. I hope to be able to take her out for fishing when the time comes, if not here then I'll go where she is and take her. I know my son will take her, but can't have my little babe not fishing with out pap-pap.

You guys are making me cry. Fishing is a wonderful way to bond generations.

My brother lives 10 minutes from me, and yet we can't find the time to fish. My most favorite memories are of my dad, my brother, and me fly fishing Kettle or Pine. I fish w/ my dad often, but I got out twice in the last year with my brother. He's finishing his clinicals at the hospital to be a Respiratory Therapist, as well as working at the hospital part time. He's a busy man, and whatever time off he has, he rightly spends with his wife and son. When he gets breaks in schooling, I'm in the middle of my heaviest school loads. We can't sync up.I miss it. I have learned of so many new waters in our own county over the past two years, and I keep thinking of how excited he would be to find fish like this right here in Lancaster.

My trip to the Smokies in October was, in part, a tribute to the days of camping and fishing that the three of us used to do, but unfortunately my brother won't make that trip either. I look forward to the days though when he is done w/ school, I am done w/ school, and we are taking our kids out on Kettle teaching them the art of fly fishing.

afishinado wrote:
Good thought djs.

My father is very ill right now. When I visit him and we talk, the greatest memories we both recall were the times we spent fishing together.

I think a lot of people on this board have the same sentiments afish. My father died rather suddenly last year of a CVA. As I look back at our lives, the day I remember most clearly is when I was about 12. He brought home a couple of spin rods one night after work. After dinner, we went down to the Wissahicken stream and both fished for the first time in our lives. We had no idea what we were doing, but managed to catch a trout.

That evening we forged a bond through an otherwise awkward adolescent-parent relationship that always gave us a place to go to throughout some difficult times in our lives.

People who have never fished have difficulty grasping a concept we expound on every day on these boards - Fishing is so much more than just.....fishing.

Agree about all that was said. Take a kid fishing it does not even have to be your own. Just rent one.

So here was my morning. Up at 5 to get ready to go to the stream, got there with my daughter around 6. Walked back and forth to the car a couple of times, ate some candy, helped author a book, and tried to fish in a flooded creek for about 30 minutes before we both decided it was time to go get breakfast.

Wouldn't trade that time for anything, and I hope that she still wants to come with me when she's older.

My granddaughter didn't get here till after noon today. I had gone out and had taken some pics of guys fishing for the stocked trout in the morning, and they got some nice ones, esp palominos.
In the afternoon, granddaughter, wife, dog, and I took a nice walk, and then I pitched softballs - erratically - to granddaughter, whose improvement from last year is already noticeable. I hope to get her flyfishing when the water comes down, but, truth be told, she likes to heave bass plugs a lot better! Geez... You guys who have kids: I agree that you really want to enjoy them as much as you can; they won't be kids for long.

I bought my 2 yr old great niece her first rod yesterday, a Barbie rod.
Her Gramma (my sister) is making her a fishing vest.

As soon as the weather cooperates I'm going to take her out fishing.

I want to teach her to fly fish but I figure she should at least be out of diapers first.

I'm lucky enough that my brother and I have been able to fish together quite a bit. He thinks I'm a little crazy for fishing in the winter though.
I got him started Fly-Fishing and he's coming along. He's caught a few trout (first one at the Fish and Chips event last year) including some wild browns on the Lackawanna.
We share some laughs and memories of fishing trips with our grandfather and uncle.
I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Many men go fishing all of their lives... without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Got the kids out to one of my favorite stretches on one of my favorite streams. Saw only one guy on this section and he was fly fishing. Pressure was really light and I was surprised. Anyways we got out for about 2 hours. They each caught 3 stocked brookies and my oldest caught a wonderful 12 inch wild brown.

Attachments

• First Brookie.jpg
    First Brookie.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Brotherly Love.jpg
    Brotherly Love.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 2
If this pic attaches, this is why I think the first day can be a special time for kids and their families.

My Dad introduced my brothers and I to fishing for trout with minnies when I was about 10. Back then opening day started at 5:00 AM, talk about cold. I've long since moved away from home but we all get together every year and fish up at Kettle for about 4 days. I remember when I was able to fish the childrens section at Cross Fork (tomorrow I'll be 59) Dad is 91 now and I'm looking forward to fish with him again at Kettle in about a week. Yes, not only does he still fish but he wades the streams like a trooper. Also looking forward to using some of the flies he ties for me.

Shane

Great pics - Those are the smiles I hope to see on the grandkids faces some day soon.

Back