The zen of fly fishing

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

Got a magazine in the mail today (free) called centered "life in balance". Was picking it up to throw it away when I noticed one of the titles on the front page. The zen of fly fishing by: Kathleen Moore, that got my attention. The article is about her taking a lesson in ff and casting. Just wanted to share with you all some of the quotes of a beginner.
" My senses were quietly overtaken by all that was around me; the sound of the water as it raced over and around the rocks; the feel of it, cool and energized as it swirled past my legs; the feel of the pressure of the water on my boots; the fresh, pine scented air that brushed my face; the flutter of the birds as they vied for a good spot in the trees; and the light that cast shadows and illuminated things previously hidden in the river".

She ends the article with this,
" The treasure of fly fishing is the absolute beauty of it - the combination of art and science that yields a million reasons to venture out and spend a day in a river".

I feel she summed things up very nicely.

Ohhhhhlmmm!

If you can be zen
when you fall in
you're a lot more zen
than I am

JackM wrote:
Ohhhhhlmmm!

Ok, I know that's the sound of the universe or the cosmos or at least that's the sound used to help meditate if you're into yoga or Buddhism.

My understanding is that Buddhism teaches the appreciation of the world and it's life around us. I do recall a book or paper on zen fly fishing but in spite of many searches, I never found it. I also remember something on zen archery.

I once read an article about "playing out of your mind" or some phrase like that. It related to tennis and explained those times when you are "in the zone" or playing perfectly without thinking about it. It happened to me once or twice on a golf course.

The book you need to buy is called "mind gym" it was given to me my SR. Year in golf from the coach and helped me shoot some of
My best scores. It helps when fly fishing too.

I come closest to living in the moment when I am on the water, even when I fall in.

blueheron wrote:
I come closest to living in the moment when I am on the water, even when I fall in.

*This ^

sounds like her article might be better suited for 'High Times' magazine

I think this is a self awareness magazine trying to take off. A lot of those kind of articles in there. LOL, been a long time since I've looked in a high times, in fact I can't remember the last time. :pint:

"Halcyon Days" compares the "zone" in fly fishing as being close to a halucinogenic drug trip........so maybe High Times........?

I like to become one with the trouts.

trout on trout off Miyagisan

When you can get 4X through a trico spinner in less time than it takes the hatch to subside, you will be ready, Grasshopper.

What is the sound of one hand casting?

lv2nymph wrote:
I think this is a self awareness magazine trying to take off.

A middle-aged white western women spouting nonsensical eastern mysticism BS just shouts self-awareness.

It's definitely a self awareness mag, it's out of Statecollege pa. actually. They mentioned ffp and tco in the article.

Does a rising trout make a noise if no one's on the stream to hear it?

"No angler can fall twice into the same stream, for always there are new and newer waters flowing."

-- Heraclitus

There once was a trout from Nantucket ...............

Where is this Nantucket? I've heard stories about this place my whole life, there are some women there I'd like to meet. :-D

lv2nymph wrote:
Got a magazine in the mail today (free) called centered "life in balance". Was picking it up to throw it away when I noticed one of the titles on the front page. The zen of fly fishing by: Kathleen Moore, that got my attention. The article is about her taking a lesson in ff and casting. Just wanted to share with you all some of the quotes of a beginner.
" My senses were quietly overtaken by all that was around me; the sound of the water as it raced over and around the rocks; the feel of it, cool and energized as it swirled past my legs; the feel of the pressure of the water on my boots; the fresh, pine scented air that brushed my face; the flutter of the birds as they vied for a good spot in the trees; and the light that cast shadows and illuminated things previously hidden in the river".

She ends the article with this,
" The treasure of fly fishing is the absolute beauty of it - the combination of art and science that yields a million reasons to venture out and spend a day in a river".

I feel she summed things up very nicely.

All of that... And a couple swigs of Beam to really become one with the universe helps too.

Back