The future of fly-fishing

R

rrt

I just got a new Orvis fly-fishing catalogue today, and fully 1/4 of it was devoted to private destinations to fish. We have bashed, and rightfully so, the evil empire on this site, but I fear that it is not the only or even one of the few groups out there grabbing up fishing properties as fast they can. Now, I am an old fart (60) and my days on the water are winding down, but I can see that the future for avearage guys' fishing on privately owned waters is going to be dicey unless some things are done soon. I know I have been directly affected by the empire locally, but from the list of private waters, I think it's going to be increasingly worse everywhere for young guys of average means as time goes by. I also noticed a 2-page ad in FTJ from The Fly Shop for a private holding, much like that of the src/homewatersclub for very expensive fishing. Am I just thinking gloom and doom, or is this so real that the very existence of public access to privately owned waters in the future is in true jeopardy?
It is awful that individuals like don(ny) beaver and other groups like his have perverted the world of what can be such a wonderful sport. So sad....

I share your concern rrt. I'm 34 and wonder what kind of access there will be when I'm your age. Access is as much a concern for me as pollution and other forms of stream degradation at the hands of man.

Am I just thinking gloom and doom, or is this so real that the very existence of public access to privately owned waters in the future is in true jeopardy?

I don't think you are thinking doom and gloom. You are facing reality. It's been going on for years and years and really blossomed over the last 10 years. I watched some damned good water in the Poconos go to private clubs. There's been some scuttlebutt about it starting to happen on the Pine. I have a section that I can fish exclusively, and this fall the landowner told me he is thinking about leasing it out and wanted me to have first shot. Not me. I won't pay to hunt and I won't pay to fish. I just don't need the "status" that goes with the pay to play mentality in order to maintain my pristine pursuits.

I think our younger generation of bretheren will pay he11 for quality fishing and hunting in Pa. It'll be to the point where they are working to much to keep things going to afford the time, or they will be to broke to afford it.

I don't think there's anyway to turn it around. Us peasants are doomed.

As a 21 year old kid this is something Im concerned about as well. My question is how do we as fly fisherman or just fisherman in general go about keeping big money from grabbing up streams and keeping us out?

Festus run into any bears lately :lol:

In the November issue of the Mid-Atlantic Fly fishing Guide, Bob Clouser wrote an entire article touting the benefits and niceties of "private water". I'm a fan of Mr. Clouser and have always thought well of him but this piece of propaganda kinda turned me a little.

Until:
We as anglers, Trout Unlimited members and the National Organization, Watershed Organizations and the people fight for better access issues, this will continue.

PA needs to do something to help slow it down or fight it completely or we will lose everything. The law is against us and i remember a song.......

What kills me, is all these guys, Lefty, Bob and others made their living off the working mans tackle budget, and now that they are getting older, and their best fishing days are behind them, they could care less about the sport as a whole..Boomer mentality rrt, glutens till the end..That's what that tea party is all about..First generation in this country that could give a crap about their grandkids future..Bunch of sell outs if you ask me..Locust will eat..

Not a blanket statement on all boomers, there are exceptions, but not many..I refuse to buy any thing with leftys or Bobs name on it...After the elders hollowed out this nation they now want to tell you too bad, fish for bass...

Most of these waters will be ruined in 30 years any way..Energy before clean water..It's a brave new world..

How many memberships are corprate perks?

LJ,

Right on..How many?

Sad..The great sell out..Even the trout are for sale...I wonder when they'll start selling the parks, and public lands, off for dollars..The worse part is most of these guys are rich in gold and poor in fishing skills..Triple decker cheeseburger roll cast..Hahaha..

http://www.homewatersclub.com/Giving-Back/Giving-Back.asp

What a joke

the let the pols in for a day or two to fish and boze for "protection"

I don't fish private water myself but feel caught between a rock and a hard place with this debate. I only fish open water and see the poaching, lack of respect and greed that takes place on open water. I kind of understand why people want to fish private water. One of the things that bug me the most in PA is the Delayed Harvest waters. I see more pressure by people during the time when fish can be creeled. I just can't figure out why people want to fish these waters for the purpose of creeling fish when there is a ton of other water open to fishing and creeling opportunity. I wish the PGC would just make the artificial lures only section catch and release fishing and also extend more water for this purpose. Where I'm going with this is.... I believe this would help reduce the urge to buy up land for the purpose of making the stream private; however we know that making money from private water is also a big driver....

the state OWNS ALL FLOWING WATER in the Commonwealth, there is no reason they can't outlaw "pollution" of streams with excess fish food, or prohibit subsidies (Federal) on posted lands.

I would like to see the fish commission develop streams, sort of like the old Fisherman's Paradise, but charge a fee per day, money going to stream access

Many of todays high end deals are just country clubs without golf courses

Sal this reminds me of this song

Festus run into any bears lately

Quitchyer cussin:) But since you asked, last week I did indeed see a bear that woke up at the wrong time. I just about clipped him with my truck at the Gaines/Shippen line on Rt 6. I missed him but the car coming towards me didn't.:-(

Some great dialog in this thread. The thing I see that threatens our outdoor revreation is division within our ranks. Bait vs fly. Nymph vs dry. Archery vs rifle. We have ourselves to divided up to gather any kind kind of momentum to get things straightened up.

Outdoors people need to tighten up. We are to small of a minority to be divided up as we are.

Spring Creek TU suggested to the PFBC that they buy lands along
Spring Creek, when they came up for sale. The PFBC asked SCTU to pay for an appraisal of the land, which we did. The PFBC then bought the land, with some of their own funds and some from federal funds that come from taxes on fishing tackle.

Probably many of you have used some of the PFBC accesses from Route 550 upstream to the access point above the concrete bridge below the cottage stretch (below Fishermans Paradise). The story above is how they came to be public fishing spots. Those stretches were heavily posted previously.

One answer to what to do about increased privatization and/or posting of our best trout streams, is to lease the water for the public...forever!
The Little Juniata River Association in conjunction with the PFBC is doing just that. We offer landowners on the "j" and any of its tribs, a one time payment for granting a Public Fishing Lease. We have applied for and received funds from the fine pools gathered by DEP and PFBC. We have also received a matching grant from the state for a total of $200,000 for this purpose. It has been a lenghthy process but we finally received approval from PFBC at their January meeting for our first of many Public Fishing Easements, on the "j"! In this case, the landowner has agreed to permanently grant the public great access to over 1000 feet of stream bank below the Green Hills Camp. We are also in negotiations with 4 other landowners.
We believe this is one answer... i.e. compete with the private interests by paying the stream bank owners just compensation for permanent public access. The PFBC intends to step and repeat this program throughout the commonwealth. It is patterned after the Erie Steelhead program but does not rely on a special stamp as it does. When the initial money is used up, as it will shurely be, the LJRA will seek other funds, including contributions from fishers and equipment manufacturers, to extend this program throughout the upper Juniata drainage. Maybe other non-profit groups will do the same? If you are aware of any "j" bank owner who may be interested, or you are a streambank owner in the upper Juniata, or you just want to know more about this program, contact us at bjuniata@verizon.net.

Bill Anderson
LJRA President

I heard that you have to have a licence to fish in the ocean...!
(New York area)
...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• 1Fishing-1904.jpg
    1Fishing-1904.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1
I am not sure about NY but you need one in North Carolina now...

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

there ya go...

GREAT WORK troutboomer

THANKS

Back