Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 24 »

Re: The future of fly-fishing

Spring Creek TU suggested to the PFBC that they buy lands along
Spring Creek, when they came up for sale. The PFBC asked SCTU to pay for an appraisal of the land, which we did. The PFBC then bought the land, with some of their own funds and some from federal funds that come from taxes on fishing tackle.

Probably many of you have used some of the PFBC accesses from Route 550 upstream to the access point above the concrete bridge below the cottage stretch (below Fishermans Paradise). The story above is how they came to be public fishing spots. Those stretches were heavily posted previously.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 10:50

From On the banks of the "j"
One answer to what to do about increased privatization and/or posting of our best trout streams, is to lease the water for the public...forever!
The Little Juniata River Association in conjunction with the PFBC is doing just that. We offer landowners on the "j" and any of its tribs, a one time payment for granting a Public Fishing Lease. We have applied for and received funds from the fine pools gathered by DEP and PFBC. We have also received a matching grant from the state for a total of $200,000 for this purpose. It has been a lenghthy process but we finally received approval from PFBC at their January meeting for our first of many Public Fishing Easements, on the "j"! In this case, the landowner has agreed to permanently grant the public great access to over 1000 feet of stream bank below the Green Hills Camp. We are also in negotiations with 4 other landowners.
We believe this is one answer... i.e. compete with the private interests by paying the stream bank owners just compensation for permanent public access. The PFBC intends to step and repeat this program throughout the commonwealth. It is patterned after the Erie Steelhead program but does not rely on a special stamp as it does. When the initial money is used up, as it will shurely be, the LJRA will seek other funds, including contributions from fishers and equipment manufacturers, to extend this program throughout the upper Juniata drainage. Maybe other non-profit groups will do the same? If you are aware of any "j" bank owner who may be interested, or you are a streambank owner in the upper Juniata, or you just want to know more about this program, contact us at bjuniata@verizon.net.

Bill Anderson
LJRA President

Posted on: 2010/2/14 11:01

From Pittsburgh
I heard that you have to have a licence to fish in the ocean...!
(New York area)
...please correct me if I'm wrong.

Attach file:

jpg  1Fishing-1904.jpg (83.13 KB)
2007_4b782edbf0512.jpg 400X512 px

Posted on: 2010/2/14 12:12

From Greensburg, PA
I am not sure about NY but you need one in North Carolina now...

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

there ya go...

Posted on: 2010/2/14 12:14

GREAT WORK troutboomer

THANKS

Posted on: 2010/2/14 12:34

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From lancaster county
Fred

I fish some private waters, in fact i have access to many.
Almost all, 99%, are just posted land that I have knocked on a door to get access to. Pa needs to change its laws on the resources before it is too late.

Its a resource. Flowing water should be for all to enjoy. To fish, swim or take a walk by with the dog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_resource
Quote:
Recreational water use is usually a very small but growing percentage of total water use.

These uses are growing and the availability of flowing water is declining at an alarming rate.
Quote:
Additionally, recreational usage may reduce the availability of water for other users at specific times and places. For example, water retained in a reservoir to allow boating in the late summer is not available to farmers during the spring planting season. Water released for whitewater rafting may not be available for hydroelectric generation during the time of peak electrical demand.

This is true but it is not why we are losing availability. Its because of posted land. Not just from fishing clubs but from the common citizens and business. It is just easier to see the fishing clubs because they tend to take the best of flowing water resources. And you can see why they do.

Bottomline, agencies of the like:
Bureau of Recreation & Conservation
PA FISH COMM
Trout Unlimited
Watershed Associations
Citizens
All need to fight for better access to our resources or will lose them for sure.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 13:26

Another thought on the old time "Fishermans Praradise" type operation

The average joe could experience the same type fishing that the club customer does when fishing for "well fed" (pellet fed) fish of 20 plus inches, so why would the club guy pay an excessive fee to belong to a club for the same type fishing experience.

But the main problem is not the club owner nor the clients

the main problem is the laws that permit and actually promote such clubs (at our expense) because of the tax implications

One way or another we need to compensate the landowner for access.

I met a guy on the river, nice guy, nice high end car, top quality tackle, but when discussing compensating the landowner for his use, he would not even consider it!!??

His comment "I already spent enough on fly fishing"!!!

As I said he was a nice enough guy

but I am still scratching my head on his comment

Posted on: 2010/2/14 13:43

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From Greensburg, PA
LJ you just fought tooth and nail and in court to be allowed to fish a stretch of the Little Juniata without having to pay. Why would you promote having to pay to fish?

Posted on: 2010/2/14 14:00

From Lebanon Pa
What we need in all states is the law Montana has on the books giving everyone access to the high water mark of all streams. You can't cross private property to get to the stream but if can access the stream from public property your have access. I'm sure that would discourage private clubs very quickly!
The other issue we face is the total disregard fisherman have for the waters they fish, and if they don't change I expect to see many more No Tresspassing signs
Frank

Posted on: 2010/2/14 14:41

From Southwest, Pa
"Man has been endowed with reason, with the power to create, so that he can add to what he's been given. But up to now he hasn't been a creator, only a destroyer. Forests keep disappearing, rivers dry up, wild life's become extinct, the climate's ruined and the land grows poorer and uglier every day."-Anton Chekhov

What a f'in mess

Posted on: 2010/2/14 16:10

-Art Lee

The "Canyon" on Spring Creek would be the perfect place to start a fee fishing site for access funding

Posted on: 2010/2/14 16:44

QUESTION "EVERYTHING"

From Bozeman
Anglers need to join forces with boaters, hikers, hunters, and all other outdoorsmen that require free access to public lands. Anyone that attempts to place a rift between any groups of outdoorsmen (fly fishing elitists, people that argue for boating prohibition, those that call for stricter fishing regs) is hurting the cause.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 16:48

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

littlejuniata wrote:
The "Canyon" on Spring Creek would be the perfect place to start a fee fishing site for access funding

I already pay a fee...$22.70+15.70=$38.40

Posted on: 2010/2/14 17:59

From Gunpowder River, MD
J,
How can I become an allie with angler's who would pay 50,000 dollars to join a club? Seems to me if I had 50,000 dollars to throw away I'd throw it at TU for stream restoration...

Posted on: 2010/2/14 18:07

From Bozeman
Quote:

sundrunk wrote:
J,
How can I become an allie with angler's who would pay 50,000 dollars to join a club? Seems to me if I had 50,000 dollars to throw away I'd throw it at TU for stream restoration...

Quote:

Jay wrote:
that require free access to public lands.

Posted on: 2010/2/14 18:13

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 24 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com